Bachmann Jubilee

Lochinvar

I still yearn to see Bachmann do the rebuilt pair. After all, it's just a boiler and a bit of cab mods innit? *climbs down from 9th cloud*

As I've bought (ahem) several of these, another variant I intend is the rebuilt version. I have a spare 2A boiler in stock from a damaged Hornby rebuilt Scot I picked up a few years ago at Warley. The Bachmann body dismantles quite easily and the Hornby boiler needs the Scot spashers removing but other than that, from initial impressions it should be possible.

Andy

Tim,

The Mainline pancake motor was pretty narrow and the basic dimensions/profile of the firebox seem fairly good so I think it's "something else". The handrail needs to be adjusted, the washout plugs are too high and the ridiculous chasm that represents a join in the cladding between handrail and plugs needs to be obliterated. On the other hand, the firebox/boiler join is much better than on the new moulding.

Alan

I'd agree with you there Alan. It's for those very reasons you state above that I'm tempted by a Brassmasters resin casting. I shall see how my conversion looks after painting....

As I've bought (ahem) several of these, another variant I intend is the rebuilt version. I have a spare 2A boiler in stock from a damaged Hornby rebuilt Scot I picked up a few years ago at Warley. The Bachmann body dismantles quite easily and the Hornby boiler needs the Scot spashers removing but other than that, from initial impressions it should be possible.

Andy

I took the slightly easier option and went for the Brassmasters cab on a rebuilt Patriot, if only to get a powerful 5-pole motor and the lovely detail on it (it also cost a mere £40, but that's by the by). I'm not sure whether you've discovered this or not, but the Hornby bodyshell is another modular construction. The running plate (including splashers) is entirely separate from the boiler moulding. It'll be interesting to compare the two end results when you've done yours.

Cheers,

• 4 months later...

Whatever the explanation for the 60% discount on Hatton's "Drake",and widespread above-average discounting by retailers on other examples ,one is heading this way. The "plan" (such as it is) was that my stud would include 2 Jubes. Both were to be LFB versions because they were more prevalent here (N of the border) in my chosen period,1956-59.. But I succumbed to a SFB example a year or so back when Rails did their "Gilbert and Ellice Islands" special. Again,that was discounted below the Rails norm. It now runs as "India",which I do remember seeing a couple of times. "Drake",too,will need a new identity (yet to be decided).

Despite the change of plan,no-one would be happier than me if my pessimism proves unjustified and LFB examples do eventually emerge.

DR

I've at last got round to giving "Drake" the "Rodney" treatment. The cabside numerals have been removed (T-cut) and the nameplates and smokebox number filed away. But before I go on to fit the Modelmaster replacements,I need to do some painting. There was advice some time ago (I believe from "Coachmann") that the incorrect black splasher tops need to be loco green - but I can't recall now what was said about the lubricating boxes and the sandbox fillers. Should they be green as well? I'd appreciate some advice (perhaps from "Coachmann" himself?) about those.

Reversing reach rod, sandbox backing plates, splasher tops and cab roof up to rain strip were green. Lubricating boxes were green in front of splashers but black beside smokebox saddle. Also black ejector pipe running along boiler below handrail and AWS tanks black.

Edited by coachmann

• 1 month later...

Reversing reach rod, sandbox backing plates, splasher tops and cab roof up to rain strip were green. Lubricating boxes were green in front of splashers but black beside smokebox saddle. Also black ejector pipe running along boiler below handrail and AWS tanks black.

I've now got the Railmatch Green (601) and hope to crack on with these changes this week. Before committing brush to loco,could I just be absolutely sure that I've got this right? The lub. box ( ie with the winder mechanism) positioned on the running plate between the front splasher and the saddle - does it go green or stay black?. "Coach" again,perhaps?

DR

• 1 month later...

I've at last got round to giving "Drake" the "Rodney" treatment. The cabside numerals have been removed (T-cut) and the nameplates and smokebox number filed away. But before I go on to fit the Modelmaster replacements,I need to do some painting. There was advice some time ago (I believe from "Coachmann") that the incorrect black splasher tops need to be loco green - but I can't recall now what was said about the lubricating boxes and the sandbox fillers. Should they be green as well? I'd appreciate some advice (perhaps from "Coachmann" himself?) about those.

I've now taken this detailing and change of id as far as I intend for the present,so here's a few shots of my £56 "Drake" in her new guise as 45643 "Rodney". She's shown in the company of class-mate 45574 "India" (formerly the Rails special "G&E Islands"). Seeing these 2 side by side has made me realise that the green livery on "Rodney" is darker and glossier (and therefore even less prototypical-looking) than on "India". Perhaps one day I'll summon the courage to try a bit of toning down!

DR

PS: sorry,folks,my good intentions have just been defeated by the 2MB limit.

Well, here is my rather nice unmodified 'Hong Kong', and it ticks all the boxes for me...

I should say, the model is unmodified, not the picture! Hornby Staniers.

Cheers,

post-7929-0-03307900-1358739835.jpg

Rob

edit to repair minor details

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

I did a workbench on the old and new Jubilee when the latest offering came out. Putting a decent chassis under the old long-firebox body is like gold plating a plastic spoon. It's in the same league as the Hornby 4F..........1980's fourth division....

attachicon.gif WEB Jubilee compared.jpg

Perhaps you could post a link to this Coachmann?

I have one of these to detail, (Hong Kong I think), and it will become Northern or Southern Rhodesia, depending on which one is closest and which was withdrawn last.

I've a feeling that there will be a lot of research to do and all these abbreviations and mention of long/short fireboxes, missing domes and cab alterations is confusing me before I start.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Perhaps you could post a link to this Coachmann?

I have one of these to detail, (Hong Kong I think), and it will become Northern or Southern Rhodesia, depending on which one is closest and which was withdrawn last.

I've a feeling that there will be a lot of research to do and all these abbreviations and mention of long/short fireboxes, missing domes and cab alterations is confusing me before I start.....

Cheers.

Sean.

I hadn't realised how much I had scribbled over the years.  Found this in the RMweb & Google search...

http://rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17850

post-6680-0-74223500-1358682640.jpg

Edited by coachmann

I'm probably not the only one hoping that Bachmann would have followed its new Jubilee with a long firebox version. Thinking about it, extending the existing firebox with plastikard would be the least traumatic approach. It means removing the dome and a boiler band and re-siting all the washout plugs. But it is probably simpler than sawing off the firebox and fitting a longer firebox off the old Jubilee. It is something I may contemplate after Bachmann's March 2013 announcements if the long firebox 'Jub' isnt mentioned....nor a L&Y 3F 0-6-0 and Fowler 3P 2-6-2T...

• Like 1

Alternative image to that on msg.86...   with acknowledgements for both to E R Morten who took a b+w photo of a 'Crab' at Buxton No.2 Box and from which some of this picture is based.

This would I think be a Jubilee heading for St Pancras into the Peak District c1956, but I have taken considerable liberties with colours, background, items removed and so on. Can someone say if 45611 was ever likely to have worked expresses from Manchester to St Pancras?

post-7929-0-25423400-1358739733.jpg

Rob

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

Hong Kong was a nottingham engine in the 50's I think, so it's possible - it was very highly regarded and often featured on the Liverpool - Nottingham. Sometimes the Man / SP engines were used on the Buxton Manchester as a fill in. I think in the morning and evening, but it would have been going the 'proper' route to Manchester - not his LNW Midland obstructing slow and bendy line ;-)

A lovely picture though Rob, and just a brilliant idea to recreate it!

Edited by cbeagleowner

Thankyou.  I presume the alternative line southwards from Buxton sometimes carried express trains, but if not, I shall claim artistic license.

It's a great pleasure to use the lovely current RTR 00 models to re-create something of the atmsphere of the railways of 1950s and 60s, and as I slowly get better at the illustrations I will take more care about authenticity of location, signal box architecture and so on.  So far I have mostly just used generic Hornby signals other ephemera.

Mind you, I just bought C T Giffford's 'Each a Glimpse' book of photos, so I might stray into shadow and light a little more...  can use that to hide a lot of errors!

Thanks again.

Rob

typo edit

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

45611 Hong Kong was more likely to have been used on what are now called cross country routes.

It is listed as have been allocated to 20A Leeds Holbeck (later 55A) in 1948, 17B Burton w/e 18/11/61 and finally 17A Derby w/e 26/12/63 from where it was withdrawn 19/9/64.

Try this site http://brdatabase.info/index.php for all your allocation needs.

Enough of these details - it's the star loco on my preserved railway - a beautiful runner, although the tender is secured with a track pin!

• RMweb Gold

Thankyou.  I presume the alternative line southwards from Buxton sometimes carried express trains, but if not, I shall claim artistic license.

It's a great pleasure to use the lovely current RTR 00 models to re-create something of the atmsphere of the railways of 1950s and 60s, and as I slowly get better at the illustrations I will take more care about authenticity of location, signal box architecture and so on.  So far I have mostly just used generic Hornby signals other ephemera.

Mind you, I just bought C T Giffford's 'Each a Glimpse' book of photos, so I might stray into shadow and light a little more...  can use that to hide a lot of errors!

Thanks again.

Rob

typo edit   The alternative line south from Buxton was/is (now a cycle trail) the route over the White Peak via Hartington to Ashbourne.  Carried limestone traffic connected to the Cromford & High Peak line and the odd passenger train. Sadly,too light a track bed for a 5xp Lines through the Peak now are 'leisure'trails but make for good walking/cycling,particularly the old line from the Monsal Head viaduct through to Millers Dale ( you have to avoid the old tunnels in a couple of cases ) If you can find a backdrop of Monsall Head viaduct,you have the the perfect photo montage of 45611 on a Nottingham--Manchester Central semi-fast. I too love Colin Gifford's reissue,by the way

• 1 year later...

I've always liked the Jubilees, and being as how I have a soft spot for crimson lake and was born in Nelson.........

http://www.Bachmann.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1/branchline/31-187.jpg&cat_no=31-187&info=0&width=650&height=238

What's not to like?

Only that the tender should really be the shorter 3500 gallon version :senile:

Sorry. I'll get me coat!!!

Well, that's a blow!  Comet don't list one but Brassmaster's do - ah well...  The tender would require a chassis in any case in order to get the brakes in line with the wheels.  I've always wanted an excuse to do a Brassmaster's kit.

John

Edited by brossard

• RMweb Gold

But which one? Flush riveted beaded tank, snaphead rivets, beaded tank or snaphead rivets, unbeaded tank? Not that I'll be replacing the Bachmann one, I'm just interested in knowing.