Bachmann Jubilee

Lochinvar

4 weeks later ....

I've purchased a Hornby T9 skew wound 5-pole motor.

Length is near-enough identical.

I'll need to remove the worm - carefully - I have a 'puller' but may have to use a careful tapping protocol ...

It actually seems a little narrower and lower, but the magnets super-strong.

Let's face it, if it works, I'll have a Bachmann Jubilee that can spin it's wheels without problem.

If it doesn't work, I'll simply get on the 'phone to Bachmann and ask for another motor / cradle assembly - as they normally sell them.

Hopefully it won't be another 4 weeks before I can update, but I'll let you know.

Photo - motors side-by-side - sort of.

I'm hoping the shafts are the same diameter.

If the Hornby one's slightly larger, that's no problem - I'll just breathe on the Bachmann worm a little.

Al.

T9 Motor cf Bachmann Jubilee 20201102-1.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thank you for your reply, I can’t quote for some reason either the website or my phone is having a paddy. 

well if that’s the case I’ll just have to make one or maybe two.  After getting back into the jubilees due to backdating my stock to LMS pre war days. 

184E6362-EF1B-404D-91AF-815E5936D58D.jpeg

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Top feed and dome are confusing on Jubilees are they not? Did the early boilers have a top feed Casing that looks like a dome? 

Yes they did. Here is a compressed mobile phone shot of a Black 5 (which I “coaled” yesterday) with a similar style top feed. The whole topic of Stanier boilers, as the LMS felt its way to a satisfactory conclusion, is fascinating. The top feed delivered water to a system of trays designed to heat the incoming water but the trays were found to be susceptible to blocking with scale. In the Black 5 boilers, Ivatt discarded the trays and moved the top feed forward, by which time it looked less like a dome and what looked liked a dome actually was a dome.

5089 Black 5.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, farren said:

Thank you for your reply, I can’t quote for some reason either the website or my phone is having a paddy. 

well if that’s the case I’ll just have to make one or maybe two.  After getting back into the jubilees due to backdating my stock to LMS pre war days. 

184E6362-EF1B-404D-91AF-815E5936D58D.jpeg

That’s a good collection you have. The Jubilees in LMS red are lovely models; I think my favourite after the V2s. It was one of the early Mainline models and breathtaking when it was announced, helped by atmospheric catalogue pictures. Streets ahead of anything else at the time. Ahem. In appearance if not in mechanism. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well my first domeless Jubilee in progress it should get easier now. Maybe not the best way to start. As it was a jubilee converted into a rebuilt Jubilee with the aid of a Hornby rebuilt Pat boiler. Lucky the jubilee can be taken to bits and the original jubilee boiler refitted with the domeless fittings already in place. The next two should be much easier not needing to be messed around with so much. 

one thing when I ordered the top feeds I ordered a chimney to with the idea of just in case. However the chimney is wider which makes me think is one wrong ie Bachmann. 

4EBAACF2-5351-4378-9C2F-CDCC94D88AAB.jpeg

Edited by farren

• RMweb Gold
On 02/11/2020 at 19:14, atom3624 said:

4 weeks later ....

I've purchased a Hornby T9 skew wound 5-pole motor.

Length is near-enough identical.

I'll need to remove the worm - carefully - I have a 'puller' but may have to use a careful tapping protocol ...

It actually seems a little narrower and lower, but the magnets super-strong.

Let's face it, if it works, I'll have a Bachmann Jubilee that can spin it's wheels without problem.

If it doesn't work, I'll simply get on the 'phone to Bachmann and ask for another motor / cradle assembly - as they normally sell them.

Hopefully it won't be another 4 weeks before I can update, but I'll let you know.

Photo - motors side-by-side - sort of.

I'm hoping the shafts are the same diameter.

If the Hornby one's slightly larger, that's no problem - I'll just breathe on the Bachmann worm a little.

Al.

T9 Motor cf Bachmann Jubilee 20201102-1.jpg

Did you have any luck getting the Bachmann worm off ?

ive broken two worm pullers getting mine off, its as if its welded on. Ive ordered some hardened 1.5mm rod to try in my next worm puller to squeeze it off, but am worried it’ll bend the frame of the puller.

I think I destroyed a couple of pullers, displaced one armature, bent a shaft somewhere else, and generally ... defaulted to asking Jenni of Bachmann for another Jubilee motor, unfortunately.

Unfortunately?  Yes.

Performance still cr ending in ap!

Pity as the locomotive looks superb - deserves to run better.

On it's own it has good traction, and running light a reasonable turn of speed, but connect to more than 6 non-lit coaches and ... 

Let's face it, it cannot remotely compare to a Hornby Royal Scot, which is very annoying!

Rather then spend too much money not advancing anywhere, and obviously exposing my lack of better modelling skills, I've accepted the status quo ... for now!

By my response, no, and I'm not happy!

Al.

On 08/05/2021 at 07:32, Phil Bullock said:

Top feed and dome are confusing on Jubilees are they not? Did the early boilers have a top feed Casing that looks like a dome? 

Yes. Originally going to be GWR style domeless boilers with the safety valves on the boiler covered with a bonnet. Although they had ditched the idea of it being a GWR style bonnet.

Here's the first of the Stanier Moguls which actually had a GWR style cover fitted for a short while.

For many years they thought this photo had been destroyed. But when you look at it you can really see the family resemblance.

spacer.png

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/05/2021 at 17:31, atom3624 said:

I think I destroyed a couple of pullers, displaced one armature, bent a shaft somewhere else, and generally ... defaulted to asking Jenni of Bachmann for another Jubilee motor, unfortunately.

Unfortunately?  Yes.

Performance still cr ending in ap!

Pity as the locomotive looks superb - deserves to run better.

On it's own it has good traction, and running light a reasonable turn of speed, but connect to more than 6 non-lit coaches and ... 

Let's face it, it cannot remotely compare to a Hornby Royal Scot, which is very annoying!

Rather then spend too much money not advancing anywhere, and obviously exposing my lack of better modelling skills, I've accepted the status quo ... for now!

By my response, no, and I'm not happy!

Al.

Just to say (again I think) that this doesnt match my experience of the Bachmann Jubilee at all. Mine work turn and turn about with Hornby Scots and Patriots on the same 6-8 coach trains with no problems at all. The only difference for me is that the Hornby are generally slightly smoother although having said that I have just added a Bachmann Patriot which has  the same chassis as the Jubilee which is silky smooth. I am talking the current version, not the earlier split chassis. 

• Agree 1

Unusual!!

My Jubilee is a relatively recent, non-split-chassis one, obviously.

Pre-new-motor, it has a free-running chassis, but motor installed, runs OK, but hardly something inspiring, and barely what the 2 Royal Scots I have - 46100 and 46115 - can do on half that power.

A little weight has been added, as it has wherever possible - not easy - on the Scotties.

8+ and the Scotties still pull away, as the Jubilee can, but can pull up to perhaps 70mph scale, full power.

The Scotties, if not careful, can still spin their wheels and add at least another scale 15 to perhaps 20mph on top without trying, and on full a true 100mph scale can be seen.

I've had 2 attempts, and it runs, but hardly superbly - looks good in sidings and stationary, but doesn't get close to a 7th or 8th choice, where the Scotties are up there with the Bachmann Tornados and Hornby Coronations.

Notice I did reference a Bachmann steamie - I've a light and dark green Tornados and both a superb runners, and pretty fast and powerful as well - totally alien to the anaemic Jubilee.

I may investigate again, if you reckon your Jubilee is close to the Scotties - from what I've seen, I find it very hard to believe.

Al.

@MikeParkin65

Apologies for the 'attitude', it's not at you, it's my frustration at the model.

I pulled out my Kolhapur, turned upside down, and warmed up a little, to be fair, then placed behind my Duchess of Hamilton with a rake of 9.  My Jubilee is a non-DCC version - blanking plate - of the DCC Sound version, with the working valvegear.

Duchess pulled away, easily, and when cranked to 11, it took just 3 loops of an 8ish by 4ish circuit to catch the Jubilee, closing speed quite scary!!

I opened up the Jubilee, unclipped the motor after removing the light alloy clamp, and listened - not amazing, but the motor starts moving at a low enough voltage.

Chassis is really very free-running, so the loco's not held up by that.

I kept the alloy clamp off, re-clipped the motor - it held without slipping - and continued the experiments.

I pulled out my LMS 6100 I made from 2 poor ones, and did the same experiment, with similar results - this time it took perhaps 6-7 loops / laps before catching the Jubilee, so perhaps closer than expected.

Kolhapur runs OK, but should have more.

It's obvious Hamilton is even faster than Scottie, but not by much.

Definitely needs a more powerful motor.

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I suppose I should add a footnote to this thread ...

I've been running my 45593 Kolhapur sound removed, recent model quite a bit more, and it's not THAT bad - perhaps like having a 3-cylinder instead of a 4-cylinder Honda Civic ... running reasonably and not getting too warm either.

I can accept how it's running now, but definitely cannot be considered an equal to Hornby Black 5's or Scot's ...

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 31/05/2021 at 17:57, atom3624 said:

I suppose I should add a footnote to this thread ...

I've been running my 45593 Kolhapur sound removed, recent model quite a bit more, and it's not THAT bad - perhaps like having a 3-cylinder instead of a 4-cylinder Honda Civic ... running reasonably and not getting too warm either.

I can accept how it's running now, but definitely cannot be considered an equal to Hornby Black 5's or Scot's ...

Al.

If I had a car that drove like a Jubilee, i’d be a very happy man.

• 4 weeks later...

Is anyone aware of what's happening with the new Bachmann Jubilee 'Hood' model with riveted tender? I think it was first supposed to be in stock in April, then June but I've heard nothing. Looks an excellent model though.

Edited by Iskra

• RMweb Gold
On 28/06/2021 at 08:36, Iskra said:

Is anyone aware of what's happening with the new Bachmann Jubilee 'Hood' model with riveted tender? I think it was first supposed to be in stock in April, then June but I've heard nothing. Looks an excellent model though.

well I’m guessing it’s in the shops for sale NOW. As there’s a few on eBay 

On 07/07/2021 at 01:36, Steamport Southport said:

Hood also now in stock at Kernow.

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/63298/31-186A-Bachmann-LMS-5XP-Jubilee-Steam-Locomotive-45654-Hood

Tempted by the yellow stripe as I've got a couple of Duchesses with them.

Jason

That's what I've ordered, weathered from TMC which they have now posted to me, so they are in stock there. Looks a great model, I'm looking forward to it arriving on Monday :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Iskra said:

It has arrived. Still a little work left to do on it yet. Sounds are good but seem a little quiet so I will need to turn the volume up.

jube.jpg

If its the same as the Class 24/1 and the J72 I think it will be the speaker is too small (or perhaps badly sealed) rather than just a matter of turning the sound up unfortunately. Is it in the loco or in the tender on this version of the Jubilee? If its in the tender there should be space for something bigger with a bit more 'umph' :)

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but didn't know where else to post. I've got a 31-185 Jubilee "Australia" which hasn't been run for years. Where do I need to lubricate it?

The instructions are not very helpful, and I guess I'm just used to more modern instructions with oiling diagrams.