Railfest

PrestburyJack

As I live nearby I was thinking of going tomorrow. However will have to take my toddler (he's train mad) and wondered if it's suitable? Does anyone who's been know how busy/crazy it's likely to be? Queues and overexcited small boys are a bad combination!

We went Monday and it was well worth a visit - comfortably busy but not overcrowded. Great selection of trains, which were well spread out, good market place that was spacious. A lot of thought and effort has gone into this year's Railfest to make it a success and I think they've achieved it this year - so commendations to the organisers.

If you've not been I'd certainly recommend going - it won't be back for another good few years so make the most of it. A really good day out, interesting and enjoyable for the whole family.

My partner and I certainly had a good day and thoroughly enjoyed it - I'm glad I went.

I visited yesterday (Monday). Overall there really was something for everyone among the exhibits with all regions and eras covered; and while it was busy (I'm told the attendance was similar to Saturday and approx 4x the rain-hit Sunday!) it wasn't so busy you couldn't see/photograph/ride everything you wanted - the only queues of more than a couple of minutes were for Sir Nigel and Tornado...

While there was nothing at all wrong with what was on display or how things were arranged, I don't know what it was but it just didn't seem to me to have the same indefinable 'buzz' or atmosphere about it that the first Railfest had back in 2004...

Still highly recomended though!

Paul

Helped out at Railfest on Sunday (in the rain!) and went back as a visitor yesterday (Monday) and thoroughly enjoyed both. I would recommend this event to anyone who can get there, although I can understand others' concerns about the cost of taking a whole family along. Having said that, the value-for-money of the Railfest event plus the usual museum attractions is excellent. There is a lot to keep children entertained; it's definitely been designed with families in mind as opposed to your traditional depot open day.

Apart from anything, it's nice to go to the museum and see things actually moving. There are two standard gauge rides, one 2' gauge line, one 15" gauge line and three 7.25" gauge lines. Three of these had both steam and diesel traction, the remainder just steam. Where else could you sit in the driving seat of Tornado, a Javelin and the prototype HST power car in the same day?

The only minor disappointment for visitors over the remainder of the week may be that the newly re-liveried Class 91 No. 91110 has left the museum to go back into service.

Cheers,

Will

Think PLD is right in saying that it doesn't have the buzz of the 2004 show which was the first one but it's certainly tons better than the one in 2008. I remember the 2008 one quite well but can't remember too much about the 2004 show. However, like CWJ commented it is a good day out and definitely highly recommended if you are stuck for something to do if you are on holiday for the rest of the week.

I went today and i agree with Paul, there was no buzz about it in fact i was slightly underwhelmed by it all. The presentation leaves a lot to desired with very few photo vantage points and some exhibits cramped up together - with open space elsewhere. I couldnt be bothered queuing to get on footplates - ive been on enough in my time and to be honest why i should get any thrill out of sitting in a chair looking out of a windsreen with loads of powered down kit around eludes me. A personal niggle was the number of ignorami who plopped themselves in front of the gallery when we were taking photos (there are few decent photo vantage points)

The other thing that really bugged me was that certain exhibits, the Duchess, Mallard and others had been moved out of the (free) main hall into the south yard (pay to view) leaving big gaps in the main hall. Now I have a hell of a lot of respect for Steve Davis the director of the NRM, he's a very inspiring bloke with some grand and exciting plans for the NRM, and if you ever get the chance to meet him grab it with both arms, but this seems a little disingenuos.

On the plus side however is a good collection of interesting exhibits brought in something for everyone and some immaculately turned out stuff but even better is seeing some workstained locos - Princess Elizabeth fresh from its starring role on Sunday, Tornado which is brought to life by a thin patina of grime on it now, they looked real not exhibits. On balance its worth going to and I'd never begrudge the NRM the 15 quid to get in. I enjoyed it, met quite a few of the usual suspects including Mr Petty who was trading, it just could be so much better.

PS. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it but there was great representation from the model railway trade (more so than some model railway exhibitions I've been to!) - not just Bachmann and Hornby but a good selection of general new & secondhand stockists including a good electronic components stand.

Andy C - I'm not sure if you can fault the NRM for borrowing exhibits from a museum which is free to enter; perhaps another way to look at it is the rare opportunity to photograph something like Mallard away from its usual dingy corner of the Great Hall :) I totally agree about the cleanliness of the exhibits though - if nothing else, the freight locos should have a good coat of grime! In fact, another of the volunteers told me she'd had a complaint from a visitor who wanted to photograph the Network Rail MPV to help him with the weathering of his Bachmann model, only to find it in squeaky clean pristine condition! Can't please 'em all...

• RMweb Gold

Sorry for double posting. I've spent the past 2 days volunteering with York City & District Model Engineering Society performing various duties, including driving at the end of today.

I didn't see everything but managed to see everything I wanted to so I can't complain.

The acceptable photos snapped during my breaks

7157367715_3467c12b24_c.jpg

Londoners by williamfj2, on Flickr

7157309625_c17d5576a6_c.jpg

Pendennis Castle by williamfj2, on Flickr

I'm going by train, but a friend of mine is driving. Can anyone recommend a good place to park?

Which day? Weekends the Apcoa/Network rail carpark which occupies much of the old freight yard at the back of the station, and opposite the Peter Allen building is the cheapest parking in York - £2.50 for 24 hours. https://www.apcoaconnect.com/location_detail.php?id=57 I stress that is the weekend cost.

During the week the cheap way is to do as the Council asks - park at a park and ride and get the bus. Otherwise, just cough up the considerable sums needed at either the NRMs own car park or the Apcoa one - I think they are similar. Although they are expensive, they are nothing like the price of the NCP station carpark, or council parking, and are adjacent to the NRM.

Paul Bartlett

I'm going by train, but a friend of mine is driving. Can anyone recommend a good place to park?

Best option is to use the Park & Ride buses - from Peterborough/the South via the A1, the 'Askham Bar' site just off the A64 is probably best to aim for, and it stops opposite the Railway Station so just a short walk over the footbridge to the NRM. Parking is free and return bus fare is £2.50.

(Museum car parks are out of use for the duration and council city centre car parks will cost you as much as four adults on the bus for a full day's parking)

Paul

Parking on the pay and display on the left as you come under the tunnel on Leeman Road is £7 for all day.

That is where we parked too. As a family of 4, the park and ride would have worked out more. Leeman Road is cheaper than the other town-centre car parks and is virtually next-door to Railfest.

After walking around for 6 hours, that last thing you want to do is face a long journey back to the car. ;)

From the above, you can probably deduce that I did take the family in spite of my earlier whinge. A good time was had by me and the boys and even my wife did not mind it too much.

Went to this on Monday and had a wonderful day - helped by the nice weather of course! Highlights for me were Duchess of Hamilton and the prototype HST - plenty of space to wander about, loads to buy in the marketplace tent (some great bargains to be had), great selection of food stands, a bar and access to the museum as well - would happily go back for a second day if I could afford the time! Highly recommend it and loads for kids to do too.

My only gripes were the usual idiots who are oblivious to people taking pictures - and a bigger gripe: waiting to get in the cab of the FGW HST (never 'cabbed' anything in my life so I was keen to do this!) - a bunch of guys in there were gassing for 20 minutes, oblivious to the queue of childern with parents (and me!) forming and even when I alerted them to this the response was 'well theres room for one more..' and we then had to wait another 5 minutes at least for them to vacate the cab! Pretty selfish I thought - the other cabs were better managed i.e. the person in there doing the 'tour' realising that it was sensible to give each group a set period of time to allow access to all without having to wait 25 minutes! Interesting to hear the comments from parents in the queue for the FGW HST - suffice to say the reputation of rail enthusiasts was taking a beating!

Hello :)

It seems I wasnt alone when I went Monday then! It looks like it was the best day for the weather anyway.

I havent been to the NRM before so it was a bit of an adventure for me and I really, really enjoyed the day. There was plenty to see and I did get worried once or twice that we werent going to see everything. I have loads of photos but below are just a few I thought would give a taster of the day. When I get more time I will post some more...

post-2065-0-42960300-1339016036.jpg

post-2065-0-02856600-1339016039.jpg

post-2065-0-57422500-1339016040.jpg

post-2065-0-80461600-1339016041.jpg

I dont know what happened to this but it looked a bit beyond repair...

post-2065-0-47743600-1339016043.jpg

And finally there were some diesel things too...

post-2065-0-73970300-1339016037.jpg

Thank you to Andy for a fantastic day....

Missy :)

Nice photos, Missy.

I think the bent connecting rod must be from Green Arrow, as I can't think of any other loco of that size which as munched up its own transmission (not since Blue Peter on Durham Viaduct in the 1990s).

Cheers,

Will

. As a family of 4, the park and ride would have worked out more.

I know of a few people who have got caught out by the park and ride fare as a number of towns have an inclusive fare covering all a cars occupants so a number of people will think the fare at York is £2.50 for a carload of 4 people rather than the £10 it actually is. All day parking at one of the York Council city centre car parks is £11.

That is where we parked too. As a family of 4, the park and ride would have worked out more. Leeman Road is cheaper than the other town-centre car parks and is virtually next-door to Railfest.
I know of a few people who have got caught out by the park and ride fare as a number of towns have an inclusive fare covering all a cars occupants so a number of people will think the fare at York is £2.50 for a carload of 4 people rather than the £10 it actually is. All day parking at one of the York Council city centre car parks is £11.

Splitting hairs now, but IIRC accompanied children travel free on the P&R so 2 Adults+2 Children would have been £5...

Well, I went on Monday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was sitting in the foodcourt mid afternoon, pint of beer in hand (from my local brewery in Edinburgh, no less!) Large roast pig roll in the other, sun beaming down n things going chuff all around me. I thought "life dosen't get much better than this!"

Very good selection of exhibits but main gripe would have to be layout, too much packed into a pretty tight area, especially the diesels (didn't realise Hagwarts castle had been converted :) ) and seemingly no real sense of order to the layout. Locos parked up here there and everywhere. I was possible to get reasonable photos of most locos, Mallard, Tornado etc.

All in all, big thumbs up.

Went on Monday and have to say it was superb. I enjoyed it and my toddler was just open mouthed in awe the whole day! Not many places where both of us come away exausted having both had a great time. We got there as soon as it opened at 10am and went straight on the rides etc to avoid queuing. It was busy but not crazy, and generally only queues of more than a few minutes for the popular exhibits (eg Tornado's cab). Special mention to Simon Kohler on the Hornby stand - on seeing my lad starring intently at the trains but not being able to quite see over the barrier he gave him his stool to stand on, and a Thomas catelogue and a free Thomas DVD - which he hasn't stopped watching. Now thats customer service, and I suspect an order for a Thomas train set will soon be on its way!!

It was great fun actually riding on some trains, and seeing engines in steam, something the NRM usually lacks. Again very little queuing to go on any of the rides. Yes there were a lot of people around for the photos, but on the otherhand its great to see so many people there (including families), and I believe there are some photographic evenings with fewer tickets. For me the highlight was just seeing so many different locos from different eras and regions all in one place.

For those thinking of going I'd strongly recommend the Rawcliffe Bar P&R. which is the one on the northern ring road. I live near York and often go into town, and always use the P&R. Buses ever 8min with buggy/wheelchair spaces and accompanied under 16s go free. Also the NRM car park is shut for Railfest (actually its part of the display).

Archived