Railfest

PrestburyJack

Quote: "With key support from RAIL, Steam Railway and Model Rail, the York Museum plans to stage Railfest 2012 from 2-10 June. The event will include a substantial display of locomotives and rolling stock from the Museum’s collection as well as a fleet of visiting steam locomotives and heritage rolling stock which are yet to be agreed, and significant representation from the modern rail industry."

http://www.nrm.org.u...ilfest2012.aspx

http://www.nrm.org.uk/railfest2012

I went to the 2004 event, based on that, this sounds well worth attending.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Everything including prices is now on the NRM website, I'll definitely be going and I'd be interested in organising a meetup if anyones for it?

When do you think the best days would be for visiting this event ?

Mac

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The plans I received in the post today show a Gauge 1 layout in the Heritage Rail Arena.

I don't have any info as to what might be in the trade area as they have only sent me details i need and i am running the two foot gauge railway giving rides and a stand in the Arena featuring Spooners Boat

• RMweb Gold
anybody know what there will be there in model railways as there seem to be some, but will it be like Hornby etc only as the web site is not very clear over this

From the floor plan we've been sent for the Marketplace (Trader) Area I see Hornby have a big stand but don't know if any other model retailers will be present. Stephenson Locomotive Society are there all week - Stand 22. Prints from our Photograph Collection will be on sale on the first Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Sorry for the plug but we will have significantly discounted membership deals for new members running all through the event - our Library does postal loans and is one of the best resources you can access for published prototype research material. We also have much unpublished data. Look on it as a modelling aid! Also I think Model Rail mag' are a sponsor and the sponsoring magazines have an area of their own

I'll be manning the Middleton Railway stand during this weekend. We have an exclusive Dapol OO scale Wagon on sale along with tickets for the Steam 200 event.

Come over and say hi. I'll be wearing a black ish Middleton Polo shirt on Saturday and a green T shirt with a Hunslet works plate on the Sunday - hint it's Linda's w/n.

I'm thinking of treating myself to a wee trip down to York tomorrow to visit Railfest. Anyone been yet? Is it worth the effort/cost of entry and how does it compare to the last effort (which I thoroughly enjoyed). How were the crowds?

I will be there tomorrow, im driving City of Truro for most of the day and Teddy for a small part. Come and say hello if you do.

Crowds havnt been a problem, everything I have seen seems good, with lots of people enjoying their day. I was driving the little diesel "Courage" today and lots of people have favourable comments about the event. Roll on the rest of the week.

Andy Hardy

Anyone know what steam locos your allowed to get on the footplate of next Saturday because thats when I'm going. Also if I leave the event to go see 5043 arrive at York will I be let back into the event as long as I have my ticket.

Went on Saturday, expecting something similar to the last one which I thoroughly enjoyed.. Was pleasantly surprised to come away even more satisified. A few random thoughts:

As others have said, some locos were not 100% ideal for photos, but so what? Too many people in front of them for a best pic at these kind of do's and you are only replicating the same as 1000's of others? Maybe I'm getting too fussy in my old age. Just enjoy seeing what is on show for a change instead of seeing it through a viewfinder. Having said that I got plenty of record shots myself, (but I do have a vintage people filter which I attach when needed.....)

Having pre-booked tickets, I walked straight in without showing them, despite a modest queue! Was handed the wristband with no checks at all.

Straight out into the back yard to be confronted by the running lines with plenty of movement. Only took 1 ride, on the FR n.g. but lots of action there. Plenty of crowds, but not overwhelming; some bunching on the l.c. across the tracks though.

Every corner I turned I was confronted by more exhibits, a really good selection in my view. Some themed grouping which was good.

Large marquee/market area with plenty of stalls of railway related items including models. Trade stands by Hornby (Simon Kohler alone on the tills!) and Bachmann (Denis Lovitt in attendance. Particularly liked the finished Hornby B17/O1 & Thompson coaches.

Came back out for the flypast/loco naming. Nigel Harris presented it, seemed to go on forever but very interesting and well presented (mostly) with good video screens. Clever video displays with photos, live speakers, videos, live cameras and also live from the BBMF airfield of the planes taking off live. Intersting commentary from the RAF guys too. The NRM Director (forgot his name) was also excellent, though I felt the East Cost ladies were just filling in with their propaganda.

Lots of 'unusual' exhibits to be found tucked away in various places - I like that sort of thing. Spooner's sailboat, odd n.g.locos, industrials, miniature locos etc, not just the normal mainline stuff, good as it is.

Programs on sale at £5 though I chose to forgo that. It's a big site, with no logical path to cover everything, so be prepared to walk a lot, and be careful not to miss any.

And then there is the museum itself as well of course.

(No problems with bags, but worst one I've ever been to for the Gt U-W brigade, sorry)

In short, well worth the visit.

Stewart

ps might post a few pics later

I am in York this week and wanted to visit the NRM but I am in 2 minds about Railfest.I have 2 small boys with me and it sounds like several areas of the museum that are normally free (e.g. South Yard and the children's play area) have become Railfest only. This means that we will have to pay £40 (family ticket) to get access to parts of the museum that would be free normally.

I am not very impressed by this idea. Anyone who has been care to venture an oppinion?

but surely seeing all the extras and a great memorabe experiance from cabbint locos such as sirnigel gresly and a 395, deltic, hst, 221,57 etc makes it worth wile for them!

things from the museum have been taken for rail fest, the main hall looks rather empty without dutchess and mallard sitting there and the other 2!

Archived