Railfest

PrestburyJack

• RMweb Premium

went on Monday with Clare my wife had a very good day

had to keep going back to Duchess Of Hamilton for Clare to have another look as she look so fantastic

my only complaint was the placement of some locos

going home decided not to get on a very full cross country service when Princess Elizabeth came through the station a good stroke of luck

here are my pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/queenfanjohn/sets/72157630075226104/

It was great fun actually riding on some trains, and seeing engines in steam, something the NRM usually lacks.

They've usually had a loco doing shuttles in the yard on the normal weekends I pop in. City of Truro has been doing them a few times this year from what I remember.

I popped over on Friday - it really is exceptionally good - and coming from me that is praise. It is much better than the previous event 8 years ago.

Although wet, it cleared up in the afternoon and York is bathed in sun as I write (10.00) Saturday. We are not drowning as other places in the country - although I missed the local weather forecast, it doesn't look too bad http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2633352 Quite a lot is also under cover, so ample shelter is available for the showers.

There are some bargains to be had - one of the best doesn't require going into the Railfest, the museum shop at the front entrance is selling the Bachmann sets of Private owner wagons that were specially done for the NRM at £15, which at £5 a wagon seems very reasonable.

Some decent York Brewery ale also available...

Paul Bartlett

We had a great time. Saturday 9th was very busy with some queues for locomotive access making photo opportunities difficult. Someone did manage to get these snaps though, of our crew sprucing 1931 Neptune up, just before another downpour. :sungum: :no:

post-7607-0-19029300-1339323271_thumb.jpg

post-7607-0-02598400-1339323486_thumb.jpg

post-7607-0-17836600-1339323818_thumb.jpg

post-7607-0-94946300-1339323941_thumb.jpg

Congratulations to all who organised Railfest. You did a great job!

Mike

jbqfc, great photos - far better than my attempts! looks like you had better weather than I did though!

I had a great time on Tuesday but my photos aren't really worth posting, as they will be the same as everyone else's! Trade was disappointing compared to 2004 and it felt like there were fewer exhibits but there was certainly a lot more activity overall and it was great to see so many famous locomotives all in the same place at the same time.

Sir Nigel Gresley was probably a main highlight despite not being in a great location. A lot of work had clearly gone into making the loco look so pristine.

Whilst it was disappointing from a photography perspective, there isn't that much they can do about it!

Great value for money and a superb event.

My only gripes were the usual idiots who are oblivious to people taking pictures

This is a bit harsh I feel. Events such as Railfest are not railway photographer's events and are for the general public to go and have a closer look at railway exhibits. As such they are going to wander in front of locos and look at parts that normally are not accessible close up. If you want to take photos without the paying public being in them then attend the photographic events that sometimes are organised for photographers to get their pics or just accept that clear shots are not going to be possible. If I have paid my admission then I reserve the right to take a close up look of a loco and not to have abuse shouted at me for doing so by a photographer.

I'm sorry but this is how I feel. There are more people who attend these sort of events than railway photographers.

This is a bit harsh I feel. Events such as Railfest are not railway photographer's events and are for the general public to go and have a closer look at railway exhibits. As such they are going to wander in front of locos and look at parts that normally are not accessible close up. If you want to take photos without the paying public being in them then attend the photographic events that sometimes are organised for photographers to get their pics or just accept that clear shots are not going to be possible. If I have paid my admission then I reserve the right to take a close up look of a loco and not to have abuse shouted at me for doing so by a photographer.

I'm sorry but this is how I feel. There are more people who attend these sort of events than railway photographers.

Couldn't agree with you more Natalie. For the record, I attended the Friday night photography session and got dozens of photographs of the like - that's why the night time session was put on, I thought!

I found it rather gratifying to hear and see the number of sincere apologies for either inadvertently ruining shots, or minding the way of photographers to take their shots. Railfest was very civilized in my view in that regard.

I'd just like to say what a terrific job Steve Davies & the NRM, and the hundreds of volunteers, their locomotives and trade stands, did in making Railfest incredibly enjoyable for us laymans. In particular, the chaps on Cheltenham, 6201, 60163, FR no.20, 60007 and the gentleman on Bill Parker's Prairie who lapped up all of our questions, and the same again for the lass on Palmerston yesterday. Just smashing atmosphere and so many happy children and adults altogether enjoying the very varied collection of locomotives and rolling stock.

Went down yesterday. First time being back at NRM since I was 7. I really enjoyed myself and thought it pretty well done. The site down near the 57s was fairly terrible for those less mobile than my self (I tripped over a lot of lumps of yellowy stuff around the site but is that part of the NRM site? Nice to see a wide mix of enthusiasts/ non-enthusiasts. Was sadly witness to a couple of rather rude men trying to take a shot of the 66 to two other guys looking at it. On the trade/ food side, I felt there were too many traders selling model railway stuff (same also could probably be said for the books). The food was nice if a tad pricey and the Flying Scotsman beer was a let down for me (tasted like heavy Tennants). Had time to wandr around the main exhibits as well which could be classed as value for money from a time perspective (there from half past nine till four).

On the first Saturday I was in before the public as I was an exhibitor and left after the general public so I managed to get quite a few photos without public. There was just myself and a guy from a certain railway magazine getting 91110. Having long days helping out has it's advantages!

Many years ago I used to trade and would often be getting photos taken before the public when the only folks are the magazines & exhibitors.

As with all events there are negatives and positives. As some of the organisors are friends I made suggestions for improvements where I thought there was an issue.

Just out of interest who visited and missed seeing the Quarry Hunslet & Spooners Boat in the heritage tent?

On the first Saturday I was in before the public as I was an exhibitor and left after the general public so I managed to get quite a few photos without public. There was just myself and a guy from a certain railway magazine getting 91110. Having long days helping out has it's advantages!

Many years ago I used to trade and would often be getting photos taken before the public when the only folks are the magazines & exhibitors.

As with all events there are negatives and positives. As some of the organisors are friends I made suggestions for improvements where I thought there was an issue.

Just out of interest who visited and missed seeing the Quarry Hunslet & Spooners Boat in the heritage tent?

I did find them but sadly didn't get a picture of them. I enjoyed Saturday hugely.

• RMweb Gold

Couldn't agree with you more Natalie. For the record, I attended the Friday night photography session and got dozens of photographs of the like - that's why the night time session was put on, I thought!

I found it rather gratifying to hear and see the number of sincere apologies for either inadvertently ruining shots, or minding the way of photographers to take their shots. Railfest was very civilized in my view in that regard.

I'd just like to say what a terrific job Steve Davies & the NRM, and the hundreds of volunteers, their locomotives and trade stands, did in making Railfest incredibly enjoyable for us laymans. In particular, the chaps on Cheltenham, 6201, 60163, FR no.20, 60007 and the gentleman on Bill Parker's Prairie who lapped up all of our questions, and the same again for the lass on Palmerston yesterday. Just smashing atmosphere and so many happy children and adults altogether enjoying the very varied collection of locomotives and rolling stock.

Sorry but you have slightly duff information. The photo events were Monday evening, after the event closed to the public and Tuesday morning before it opened. The late openings on Friday and Saturday were billed as normal openings but with the expectation they would appeal more to the enthusiast so the participants weren't necessarily photographers aware of what other photographers wanted to achieve.

Here are a few statistic for you though - Palmerston did 114 miles on 600ft of track through the event and we gave over 15,000 people a ride and made a lot of peoples day.

post-2660-0-35068200-1339439286.jpg

Another Blogger reported we made his youngsters day by giving them both a ride in Palmerston's tender but that he then expected to ride on all the engines. As the FR's project manager for the our ride and show I was there all the week before unloading stock and then all the days of the show except the last Friday and Saturday when i had to be at a model show. I took pictures throughout the event and found that a little patience and asking nicely got you the photo you wanted if you really wanted to take a picture without people in it. This worked well with the class 91, latish on Saturday I went to get a picture of it and some gricer yelled expletives at the people stood in front of it and got crosser and crosser until he stormed off as they went out of their way to block his picture because of the way he asked. A few minutes later myself and half a dozen others up on the raised deck of the concrete works asked nicely and for a couple of minutes it was clear.

post-2660-0-16854800-1339450024_thumb.jpg

It might now be all over for the public but I'll be at the NRM Tuesday loading Palmerston on to a lorry and Thursday loading coach 15 and the rest of it later.

Another Blogger reported we made his youngsters day by giving them both a ride in Palmerston's tender but that he then expected to ride on all the engines.

That might have been me!

http://eastmoor.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/railfest-2012.html

If it wasn't me, then they made someone else's day too! :) The FR staff were very good (and so were other societies I saw, but the FR especially so!) and I hope it encorages people to make the trip to see their railways.

That was a real highlight, seeing Synolda was a close second, given my interest in the Sand Hutton railways.

However, overall... Hmmm, well I'm pleased we went, but I'm glad I got in free. It had the feel of a depot open; lots of engines, lots of visiting exhibits of different forms, a naming, trade and society stands... I didn't like the huge RAIL Magazine influence, but I just can't take Nigel Harris seriously! I felt the advice 'use public transport' made it awkward for some - knowing York we parked with no problems but living in a village with very little public transport, travelling with a small child it becomes very difficult. But overall, a worthwhile day out but I feel it could have been so much more.

• RMweb Gold
That might have been me!

Indeed it was.

We went out of our way to make people welcome. Some even got to drive Palmerston - strictly under supervision of course.

I actually pinned (well magneted) the satisfied customer picture up in the cab with the added wording "this is why were here, do more of it"

I was back at the museum today and whilst there was lots going on it had a strange atmosphere to it.

We were sending Palmerston and The Boat back to Wales

post-2660-0-03772700-1339519951_thumb.jpg

Reversing out of the site was "interesting"

post-2660-0-01754000-1339519986_thumb.jpg

post-2660-0-48348200-1339520026_thumb.jpg

Its to be hoped that Duncan stopped to let James into the cab once they were clear of the traffic

post-2660-0-01969000-1339520077_thumb.jpg

The rest of our stuff goes next week.

The Javelin goes tonight

Tornado tomorrow

and Sir Nigel is stuck due to a four day over run on the Whitby line bridge replacements

Our cabbing of Palmerston was arranged by "Slap", and the two crewmen couldn't have been more obliging. I even got a short turn on the shovel. Top marks for the Fesi team from me and my lad Stephen. Roger Barker on 60007 was his usual ebullient self and after dropping a note in his collection box I was allowed a couple of blasts on the whistle. These two crews were among many who made this event one of great camaraderie and rare opportunity. thank you to you all.

Here are my pictures. http://s818.photobuc... 9th June 2012/

Well worth the 500 mile or so round trip leaving at 6:15am and getting back just after 22:00pm. Sadly missed out on the whistle blowing on 60007 and couldn't do the same on 60163 as she didn't have enough steam. Had a bit of fun with men in charge of my fellow Sussex resident 55 Stepney when they put the reverser in forward and asked me to have a go at I pulling it back into neutral which I have to say I found difficult :lol:

• RMweb Gold

Quote "on Saturday I went to get a picture of it and some gricer yelled expletives at the people stood in front of it and got crosser and crosser until he stormed off as they went out of their way to block his picture because of the way he asked. A few minutes later myself and half a dozen others up on the raised deck of the concrete works asked nicely and for a couple of minutes it was clear."

Last year I visited the NRM for the first time & found that standing patiently with camera in hand the great majority of people would see that I was trying to take a photo & would move for a moment to let me do so. A smile & a word of thanks works wonders & strangers become interested in what you are doing. The moron referred to above would have been wearing his camera in a certain orifice if he had sworn at me or my family & friends. The people sworn at who blocked his picture have my admiration for their self control.

Regards

Bob

I didn't go, but pulling out of York station going north on the ECML yesterday there was an impressive array of locos to be seen.

A Deltic, an A4 and a Streamlined Duchess all in a row was a magnificent sight gleaming in the sunshine.

Bernard

Archived