HATTONS Websites under maintainence.

Stevelewis

• RMweb Premium

Just been browsing it in the last half hour and it seems to be a bit better. That could of course be due to there not being so many people on it at this time of the night/morning, also looks like they may have reverted to the original version (or at least a semi-working version of it) so I hope all is much better by the morning.

Just been browsing it in the last half hour and it seems to be a bit better. That could of course be due to there not being so many people on it at this time of the night/morning, also looks like they may have reverted to the original version (or at least a semi-working version of it) so I hope all is much better by the morning.

Browsing the website does appear to be working better, but my previous orders and invoices have duplicate lines in them and the order I eventually managed to place today hasn't appeared under my account yet. They've charged me the correct amount for it, though, and I've had a confirmation email (again with duplicate lines), so whether I get what I ordered, more than I asked for or nothing at all remains to be seen :dontknow:

Absolutely staggering they went live with it in this state, though. It's like they didn't bother with even the most rudimentary of testing and at this time in the morning these problems can't be due to high load.

• RMweb Premium

I've just spent ten minutes working my way round the site. Still a few oddities, but it seems to be working ok. Search function was a bit slow, but it got there in the end. And I gravitated to the Bachmann Jubilees - again.

Matt - I hope it works for you in sunny California!!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Lessons I learned very early in my career as far as electronic systems were concerned.

1) Make sure that it is properly pre-tested before you start changing over to the new system.

2) Always be sure you can get back to where you started from in case where you are going to doesn't work properly.

3) Make the decision on implementing (2) so you can do it before the ECS is due off the depot on Monday morning.

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely staggering they went live with it in this state, though. It's like they didn't bother with even the most rudimentary of testing and at this time in the morning these problems can't be due to high load.

I love the "they". If this were your or my website, and we were our own developer, we might indeed afford ourselves the luxury of waiting 'til all the IT 'i's are dotted and the 't's crossed. I suspect this is far from the case, with a harrassed IT supplier trying to get everything right, while his customer, a commercially-minded person from Hattons, jumps up and down demanding "Something - anything!" as he sees his income forecasts go out of the window. Bigger firms have had bigger problems despite employing the best-known suppliers for their websites.

Archived