The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Jubilee Concert

ELTEL

• RMweb Premium

Well I enjoyed it all - high spots for me were Jools Holland and Ruby Turner - but only one number. Also blown away by Tom Jones - the version of his old standard "Delilah" was quite the high spot of the show - not to mention the eye candy that he had as backing singers. In fact, of the 60s performers, he was the only one in really good voice.

Why has nobody mentioned the classical/operatic performances - they were quite excellent - Alfie Boe was nothing short of stunning as was the young oriental pianist, Lang Lang (?) doing "Rhapsody In Blue".

But you can keep the "comedians" who seemed to rely on quips about royalty to sustain their presence there as comperes - I found Miranda Hart particularly cringeworthy.

So for 45156 and 30747 it was a real curate's egg - but it was also a masterpiece organisation - as for the comments about the sound, the actual location and the great variances in vocal volume and quality were probably a lot to do with the slightly off target mixing - it's not like a band in a stadiun or a hall where you get all the levels set, and it's just a few tweaks, there's one chance to get everything adjusted and set and then the next act is on the way to the stage - in some cases, the performers were only on stage for about five minutes, so not a lot of time there to get the sound up to the mark.

I wonder how far away Mr. Barlow is from a knighthood for organising this concert? I had the distinct feeling as he ushered HM on stage that this marked the point at which he became part of The Establishment.

.... not being pickie about the technical side.

There's nothing technical about Macca being distinctly off-colour and off-key, as if he were performing whilst recovering from a throat infection.

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, two key performers recovering from illnesses which prevent them from giving their best performances. Of course, if you're on the bill, you're on the bill, and you'll perform to the absolute limit of your ability - even if it means being dragged onto the stage by the gofors. To Sir Paul and Sir Elton, thanks for being there and giving us the best you could despite being well below par, and probably ill enough to cancel just about any other gig.

......you'll perform to the absolute limit of your ability - even if it means being dragged onto the stage by the gofors. ....

....which is probably how HM felt as she was virtually pulled along on stage by the soon-to-be-knighted Mr. G. Barlow..... :jester:

One other thing the concert showed was that the current crop of "artists" are just pale contrived imitations of real performers. jls, jessie j, cheryl wotever??? Disposable karaoke autotuned heads. simon cowell and co have a lot to answer for.

Only saw the second half (ish) of this, but my personal low points were:

• Same tired old acts being wheeled out again, apparently just because they're British (Annie Lennox, Shirley Bassey, Cliff Richard)
  • Inadequate microphones pointing at the crowd, so the comedians' jokes didn't seem to get any laughs
  • Embarrassingly long links between songs, with presenters clearly struggling for material
  • Her Majesty making no secret of the fact that she clearly didn't want to be there (understandable given her husband's circumstances)

Personal highlights:

• Tom Jones showing that you can be one of the 'same old acts' but still be bl**dy good
  • The projected graphics during Madness
  • The younger royals (HM's grandchildren etc.) genuinely enjoying themselves
  • The fireworks at the end, in particular the aerial photography over London (whoever got the long shot of Buckingham Palace through the London Eye deserves a medal)
  • The general atmosphere came across well even on TV

Hope these comments don't offend anyone; musical taste is always going to be subjective!

Cheers,

Will

What about Grace Jones hula-hooping - there's eccentricity for you!

My son took one look at Grace Jones with her hoop said that is a scary lady and left the room!

Just watched Grace on IPlayer. She's certainly kept herself fit, but a typically bizarre performance of a song from over 25 years ago that probably bemused most of the audience! "Grace who? Oh, she was the scary one in that Bond film with whassisname, you know, the one in San Francisco with the mine and the airship."

I wonder how far away Mr. Barlow is from a knighthood for organising this concert? I had the distinct feeling as he ushered HM on stage that this marked the point at which he became part of The Establishment.

The next Honours List is out a week on Saturday. The logistics of honours are such that if Gary B is in the list he will already know. I would say he is a bit young for a knighthood but may merit an MBE - not this time but at New Year.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

The next Honours List is out a week on Saturday. The logistics of honours are such that if Gary B is in the list he will already know. I would say he is a bit young for a knighthood but may merit an MBE - not this time but at New Year.

Chris

I wonder if there might be a special Honours List for the various Jubilee folk - otherwise, as you say, they would have had to be in the know before the event and that could be most embarrassing if certain people at the BBC happened to be on the list 'in anticipation'.

Just imagine for a moment, that Freddie had never passed away ............ there would be but one band to outshine the rest !

Open with 'Radio Gag-Ga' and close with 'God save the Queen'.

Perhaps some of the other acts i.e. Elton, Cliff, Macca could have examined the limitations brought on by the years and altered their 'set' accordingly - as did Sir Tom; as it was he and Stevie Wonder that made it for me musically, and Madness for the effects !

Brian R

PS

(Who claimed to have little interest, but was continually drawn back to the t.v. over the weekend)

PPS

Highlight of the whole weekend ?

The drone of Rolls Royce Merlins, HM pointing upward saying 'listen to that'

• RMweb Premium

Are we perhaps missing a important point in that we honour people who go that one step further to help others.

I am not a Gary Barlow fan but I do recognise the time and effort he and others put in to make the concert a success.

I like others felt some of the acts were not to my taste but they all gave up there time to honour the event.

I think it is about time we all start to look and act posative, and to quote many who were interviewed at the weekends event, put the GREAT back in Great Britain.

Just a thought I wonder what the reaction would have been if Pete Waterman had organised such a event.

Eltel

....I would say he is a bit young for a knighthood....

That's not what they thought when knighting the former Mr. Steve Redgrave and Mr. Chris Hoy.......

..... wonder what the reaction would have been if Pete Waterman had organised such a event.

We might have had more (steam-hauled) trains?

Archived