The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Jubilee Concert

ELTEL

• RMweb Premium

What a great night, we have yet again showed the world how to organise a event.

Madness Our House Brilliant Graphics..

Roll on the Olympics.

Proud to be BRITISH

Eltel

We've not drafted in the best sound men! Distinctly ragged in places, I fear. As for Peter Kay introducing Macca as Sir Paul Winston McCartney, nul points: everyone knows he is Sir James Paul McCartney. John Lennon had the middle name Winston before he discarded it in favour of Ono.

These are minor points. Leaving them aside, it's been a good do!

Chris

Stevie Wonder wishing "many happy returns your majesty" after Happy Birthday kinda missed the point, but there were definitely moments where Britain showed the world how it's done.

I just hope it's not Sir Gary Barlow by this time next year, he was only one of the many that made it possible, and the special composition "Sing" was frankly lacklustre, especially against his normal repertoire.

Highlights - Shirley Bassey's opening phrasing on 'Diamonds Are Forever' and Kylie's pearly queen wardrobe pastiche.

• RMweb Premium

Technical and editorial glitches aside, that was an emotional and utterly fantastic finale. Truly proud moment.

Here Here

Thank heavens someone can see the event for what it was and not being pickie about the technical side.

Eltel

• RMweb Premium

Three of us sat down at home in front of the TV for over 3 hours. That's a very seldom occurrence in our household these days.

It was never going to be perfect - that's a live event for you.

I wish I could've been there.

Best wishes to Prince Phillip.

Cheers,

Mick

p.s. I'm off to my shed

Have to agree it was entertaining, but my thoughts went to who is is there that has been around 20 years and still going. Shocked that Macca is going to be 70 and I have to agree most had lost some of their vocal excellence although Tom Jones showed he could still hack it........

Take out the 'Sirs' of the world and there is no real second string. Nothing to do with quality just the changes in technology and the lack of longevity in everything we do....

Good to see Ruby Turner got a spot.

She was the only singer who did the opening and closing concerts for the millenium at the dome.

First saw her with LCGC many many years ago.

Great concert, but a couple of presenters would have been enough.

Bernard

My son took one look at Grace Jones with her hoop said that is a scary lady and left the room! If Elton sings that badly next week at the stadium I think he will be booed off stage.

recovering from bout of pnumonia apparently

Given that it had to entertain several generations all with different tastes, that was a well thought out programme full of songs that everyone knew. Well mostly anyway! Full credit to Gary Barlow. Ok the sound was err ropey, and the editing maybe a bit more strobe than spotlight, (which surprises me because you watch some of the Beebs outside music coverage of say Glasto, and thats usually superb) but at the end of the day it was very enjoyable and worth watching.

Big surprise for me was that Charles can actually work a crowd and was more humerous than some of the err "comdedians" on stage!

You have to give us Brits one thing, we know how to organise a party.

Have to agree it was entertaining, but my thoughts went to who is is there that has been around 20 years and still going. Shocked that Macca is going to be 70 and I have to agree most had lost some of their vocal excellence although Tom Jones showed he could still hack it........

Take out the 'Sirs' of the world and there is no real second string. Nothing to do with quality just the changes in technology and the lack of longevity in everything we do....

Whilst I can see the logic behind this perspective, the presence of Madness for one suggests a second string who were playing to (or aimed at) the 45-55 generation (not to mention a whole new generation of fans aged 25 and below). In 10 years time you've got to think about a cohort of bands that made their mark in the nineties, and that will include such national treasures as The Manic Street Preachers and Stone Roses, Prodigy, Take That and Steps. You or I might not rate them, but by 2022 that's not necessarily our business.

This is perhaps connected to our perspective of the musical generation we each grew up with - I would have loved to have seen some punk rock last night, not that I'd ever have expected to for a moment, due to its perceived (sometimes quite incorrectly) anti-monarchist stance. Having grown up with that genre and stuck with it since, I can imagine thinking there's nothing happened since of merit, but that's palpably rubbish. Each generation's artists are there to kick over the traces, and it's precisely their birthright to make this mark.

By the time the next Jubilee comes round, Sir Gary of Barlow will have another ten years worth of music heritage on which to draw. And in fairness some of the more lacklustre of yesterday's performers will be pensioned off (Macca, Elton) or have faded into obscurity (JLS, Sheryl Tweedy, William).

For those of you that missed it...BBC 1 now.

In time honoured tradition, I just kicked-in the TV when that anaemic dolt Ed Sheeran came on stage.

Got BBC 6 music on now, for the Punk Rock World Cup with Steve Lamacq. But that's for a different thread....

• RMweb Gold

Saw the first few acts...

Annie (never rated her) Lennox dire vocals.......then Gary Barlow and Sheryl Tweedy/Cole/tweedy/cole (ooh just can't make my mind up !) living proof that there was one performer who should never have a live Mic given to her....... and again I thought the sound is awful.

But when Tom Jones came on stage it all became clear, it wasn't the sound it was the acts, some should just fade away (or be shot ) while others showed they still have a stage presence and a voice (and I am not actually a fan!)

We then went out to light our beacon on the Bedfordshire Mountain (ok the sandhills)

Archived