Short, Thin and Totally Pointless

gronk the shunter

They already curve Stu and space is a bit tight to be honest. I suppose though that whatever length they were I'd always be thinking if only I could squeeze in another MCV. I suppose for the time being at least it's something I'll have to live with. The first Over Hulton had a single 4 road fiddle, this one has two 5 road traversers and I'm still thinking that I could do with another couple of lines to fit in other trains. A case of too much stock for such a small layout! I'm even contemplating making a third 3 line fiddle yard for the coal depot line after the extension with the junction on. But then there's the danger that the single line will become a bottle neck. I must try and remember that this is a line threatened with closure, but when I actually run trains there's a frequency that would rival the underground!

Got to hear what this cunning plan is though!

Well it's a bit of a combination between your originalplan (but with an extra siding and a point in view at least) and "Osney Town" (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/56870-osney/) and all in O gauge.

I really like the Osney Town idea of seeing the station from the "car park side" instead - and it being a bit of a scenic blocker - but your 'sidings that suggest more elsewhere' concept, all with the through line idea. I'd have to add in a level crossing because I also like "sidings up to a fence along the road" a bit like this view of Exeter Riverside http://goo.gl/maps/7OGU - now my problem is that I only have 14ft absolute maximum as that's the size of the room but I reckon that an 8ft scenic section with a 2ft 'hidden bit' storage plus the level crossing on one end that isn't connected so we can actually get through to the kitchen and bathroom, and a 4ft storage yard on the fourth board that is only connected at exhibitions, makes 16ft total and only 8ft needed for 'construction purposes' is quite doable for a first project in O gauge. Ok it does mean I can't fully utilise the layout at home in its normal place - but I don't think that would be a major disaster as effectively I'm just missing running my DMU over the level crossing and 'off scene'. Part of the idea of that additional board is also that it will contain a monitor screen which shows a Powerpoint presentation about the layout when - if - it ever becomes exhibitable standard.

I need to do some planning and see what size boards I need to achieve this - 2ft might be a bit tight but 2ft 6" might be a bit too big to fit in our little Fiesta - but on the basic principle of O gauge being almost twice the size of OO in theory an exact copy of your layout is achieveable and, apart from the stock requirements and buying the wood to build the boards, also fairly inexpensive. I have track, pointwork and a DCC setup, I'd need to buy the platform edging (which Peco do), figure out the station building, and look at some sort of factory building along the rear.

However, I very much doubt if I'd be able to achieve your rate of progress!

That sounds great I'll look forward to following your build thread. Now lets see O gauge takes up four times the space of oo, so i've allowed myself 6 weeks, so you can do it in 24, it'll be ready for Christmas! What better excuse to get started, it's technically part of the decorations!

I don't know how well I'll document things on here as I don't want to be put in the awkward position of declining Warners permission to feature it if they choose to, as I'd rather submit it to ModelRail if it's going to go anywhere.

I don't want to be put in the awkward position of declining Warners permission to feature it if they choose to,

I wouldn't worry too much given the reputation you've managed to build for yourself over the last few months.

Apologies to the OP for the distraction but that was just pathetic; happy to take information and guidance from the site but not prepared to put anything back in whilst relishing every opportunity to be anti-warners.

My 'reputation'? Just as I'm one of the few that actually speaks openly what more are thinking and dislike all things Warners, does not have any impact on my modelling skills (or lack of), ability to participate in these forums, or anything else. Very interesting that you decide to jump into a thread specifically to respond to my comments when you haven't posted anything over the last four pages of it - do you have an automatic "someone might be talking negatively about Warners" notifier installed?

Now, if you don't mind, I was rather enjoying discussing a forthcoming layout project and offering suggestions in response to someone else's request for input on their layout.

I wasn't aware that "contributing anything back to the site" had to include submitting stuff for Warners to feature.

what more are thinking and dislike all things Warners,

Really? There's been plenty of points raised by people on the mag and other points which are openly addressed and positive improvements are made but no worries; you've made it clear you belong to a 'camp'.

do you have an automatic "someone might be talking negatively about Warners" notifier installed?

That's just fatuous; however when I/we see your name crop up it's often something derogatory so we don't need to trouble ourselves with any automation.

I wasn't aware that "contributing anything back to the site" had to include submitting stuff for Warners to feature.

Not at all but you seem to have created an imaginary scenario to have another unnecessary dig. You may believe these things but I think it fair to address such points so your 'camp' isn't left under any illusion.

Yes; I'm somewhat tired of your constant and inappropriate negativity.

Corr, you turn your back for ten minutes and all hell breaks loose!! I'm off to cut some plasticard, it's safer in the railway room and I've only got the cat to fall out with!

By the way I'm open to publishing my railway anywhere at all and that includes gardener's weekly and razzle!

I'm including these shots just to illustrate how small the whole thing is, as a result that's why it's been so quick to get to this stage....

The whole thing comes in at just 1440 square inches and that includes both fiddle yards!

12 days is still pretty good going - it would have taken me that to ballast!

Nice - lots of atmosphere in a small space, and I agree that having the car park in front,

lends something to this layout...

One question though,

if your goods shed is "disused" - what's the purpose of the line leading into it from the fiddle?

Appologies if I missed something in the thread...

Marc

Guest jim s-w

If I may (with prior appologies to GronkTShunter)

Warners have asked me for stuff on my layout and I have explained to them that I have already promised stuff for the other mags as they have asked first. They have been completely fine with this (as you would expect from any publisher) so I dont see why its a problem to refuse a request from any mag (assuming you get them in the first place) even more so from someone who boasts that they ' actually speak openly'

Those of us who write stuff tend to build a loyalty to one or 2 (or 3) magazines. No one in publishing is stupid enough not to know this and they certainly don't take it personally if you politely decline their requests.

Its all a bit cart before the horse anyway - I suggest Cromptonnut gets on with it and IF its good enough people will ask for articles - thats a big if though at this stage.

Cheers

Jim

Exactly my point Jim - we all have our preferences when it comes to magazines, and it's natural that we would prefer to give "first refusal" to those that we already support. My feelings about any particular magazine are of no consequence to anyone else.

As for whether my finished product will be of a suitable quality to be of interest to *any* magazine - well as it's not even planned in XTrackCAD yet let alone any wood cut and boards built, it'll be quite some time before the situation arises. Ultimately, like many of us, I tend to model for my own pleasure and enjoyment first and foremost, with the thought of exhibitions and magazine features some way down the line.

My "STP/Osney Town" red headed stepchild type project will hopefully begin production in the next month or so, assuming cooperation from SWMBO,

My feelings about any particular magazine are of no consequence to anyone else.

with the thought of exhibitions and magazine features some way down the line.

So there was actually no point at all in you initially raising the point other than, in my eyes, to have an unjustified pop which has only served to disrupt an otherwise good topic of a good quality build.

If you've anything further to say on the subject please keep it out of Gronk's topic.

Annnnnyway.........whilst all that's been going on I've been building!

Here's my JSW inspired bus shelter, not many right angles I'm afraid and one good sneeze from the cat and it'll be in a million pieces but....post-7259-0-71759400-1340278278.gifpost-7259-0-50315600-1340278520.gif

Obviously still needs painting and the roof and maybe a bench but I'm pretty pleased.

The bushes/trees are just woodlands scenics and a bit of sea moss I think, nothing special, but they look good enough for a bit of wild overgrowth I think.

Mrs Bird, complete with winter coat despite it being June, leaves the "comfort" of the waiting shelter and boards the 13.15 to Manchester. She's only going as far as Bolton, probably to get a blue rinse on her hair in time for a night out at "the club" this weekend. If she'd missed this train the next one's not till 16.45.post-7259-0-05325700-1340289807.gif

• RMweb Gold

That is excellent,

Correct me if I'm wrong but you've thought of that, built it, and weathered it - all in one day?

You need to be banned from this forum!!!! :O

Cheers,

James

No I didn't think of it, Jim SW did and there's a drawing on his website which helps a lot. so all I did was cut up a bit of left over plasticard and plastic rod. The roof is half of the square fueling point roof that you get in the knightwing kit. which again was spare, so total cost to me has been virtually nothing! If I was doing another one though I'd use finer rod for the uprights, these look a little heavy especially in grey paint.

I'm not sure about the colour though, I'm thinking BR blue might be better?

That it's fantastic gronk, may not have your idea or plans but the execution is bang on, I'm very impressed with the speed you are putting this together and I really like weathering on it, the rust is great and the graffiti is a brill touch

Well done

Archived