Short, Thin and Totally Pointless

gronk the shunter

Well after planting tufts of grass and various other bits of sea moss and woodlands scenics scatter the station area is nearly complete, weed wise at least.post-7259-0-89395900-1339664158_thumb.gif

post-7259-0-72086800-1339664177_thumb.gif

post-7259-0-33829000-1339664214_thumb.gif

post-7259-0-80983000-1339664412_thumb.gif

I'm undecided on the station building though. Ideally I'd have a 'bus shelter' style one, but those available are too modern. So I'm looking for advice, does anyone know of anything more appropriate?

I'm undecided on the station building though.

IMO that is totally out of place the design even looks wrong. The rest of the layout looks very good and everything blends in to the scene. Perhaps scratch build a shelter form a photo as a guide?

The Heljan Tackley Halt (http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=HN3002501) kit has such a suitable beast on it.

I have a feeling I bought two of these kits to make a longer platform and would only need one shelter - which I'm happy to donate foc for such an excellent little project, if I can find it :) At work so I can't check right now but can do tonight.

Do you want me to have a look for it?

Nice layout ! I too have been unemployed (7 months my case) thus being an almost full time modeller ( selling stock on eBay to fund the layout ) , however my progress is not nearly as impressive as yours...

The Heljan Tackley Halt (http://www.gaugemast...?code=HN3002501) kit has such a suitable beast on it.

I have a feeling I bought two of these kits to make a longer platform and would only need one shelter - which I'm happy to donate foc for such an excellent little project, if I can find it :) At work so I can't check right now but can do tonight.

Do you want me to have a look for it?

Thanks very much for the offer Crompton, but i think the Heljan one looks a bit too modern for here.

I do agree though that the Hornby one is no good for this layout, looks like I'll have to do some real modelling rather than ready-to-plonk.

Guest jim s-w

Thats just the thing Jim, don't suppose you have a spare? :D

Nope - but judging from the other pic in this thread I don't see you having a problem

Cheers

Jim

• RMweb Gold

That's a lovely shelter Jim - very evocative, if there was another doorway where Arnie's poster is, it would be a close match for the shelter at Bilbrook station. Spent many early mornings huddled in there waiting for a DMU to Wolverhampton...

Gronk, the layout is very atmospheric & you've done a great job of bringing things together to form a convincing overall picture. :)

Thanks very much for the offer Crompton, but i think the Heljan one looks a bit too modern for here.

I do agree though that the Hornby one is no good for this layout, looks like I'll have to do some real modelling rather than ready-to-plonk.

No worries.

I had one of those Hornby buildings once, cut up some very thin sheet balsa and glued it over the windows, then stained it slightly with a dilute wash of black paint then painted some graffiti on it, looked proper derelict. That might be a useful option?

Thanks Jon, but the best photo so far has to be Jim's bus stop! Top class modelling.

Some success here today though, fiddle yards completely wired up, before finding out that i'd managed to wire 4 out of 16 pieces of track with the polarity reversed. All those short circuits, my how I laughed! (or rather swore loudly and frequently!) Anyway after a couple of hours of rewiring which was great fun doing it upside down under the layout, the first train ran right through from end to end without problem.

Photo's of the historic moment to come later!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Gronk,

I like the layout! Well done.

I agree with the comments above about the station shelter - the bus shelter type would look spot on.

There's something satisfying building a small layout and a good opportunity to practice new ideas and try things out.

As promised, the historic moment captured on film by my trusty 4mm scale trainspotter using his trusty 4mm scale russian "Zenit 11" camera with truprint free 400 asa colour film!

post-7259-0-12630700-1339865690_thumb.gif

24057 heads a diverted wigan - manchester victoria parcels train

post-7259-0-83267900-1339865772_thumb.gif

before the last train of the day, 47515 with a very short Speedlink service to Mossend

post-7259-0-71029900-1339865859_thumb.gif

and seconds later it's gone

post-7259-0-78412200-1339865906_thumb.gif

Ahh, it's nice to play trains again!!

Well after planting tufts of grass and various other bits of sea moss and woodlands scenics scatter the station area is nearly complete, weed wise at least.post-7259-0-89395900-1339664158_thumb.gif

post-7259-0-72086800-1339664177_thumb.gif

post-7259-0-33829000-1339664214_thumb.gif

post-7259-0-80983000-1339664412_thumb.gif

I'm undecided on the station building though. Ideally I'd have a 'bus shelter' style one, but those available are too modern. So I'm looking for advice, does anyone know of anything more appropriate?

Excellent work - Branchline feel captured very well - reminds me so much of Cark - in -Cartmel in the English South Lakes - Northern rail territory but as I remember it being up there in the 70's - Skinhead 24's were not uncommon.

Ian

Simple, but very effective, looks even better with trains running through although it's just the sort of place you can imagine sitting at for hours waiting for something to arrive. Would love to have a go at something similar but then there's the N gauge project and the O gauge project in the queue ahead of it, and to be honest I don't have room for any of them!!!

As the first section of Over Hulton gets near to being 90% completion I've been thinking of an extension past the disused goods shed, and have measured up and have got 36" x 42" to use as a corner extension, taking the line around through 90 degrees before going into the traverser. This gives the trains an extra 3-4 feet of travel before disappearing. As yet I've not got many ideas as to what to put there scenically. As before cost needs to be kept to a minimum, so no fancy track formations or anything extravagant. Any ideas?

Presumably just extending the single line? A cutting of the size of double track, but with one singled line in it, always looks good to me. About 90% down on http://www.derbysulz...com/devon1.html "Here is the view of the Class 46 on the former Southern mainline" was the sort of thing I had in mind. Loads more of the mostly single line between Salisbury and Exeter showing similar 'ex double track' pictures here: http://www.reallygoo...buryexeter.html

Alternatively, a well rusted and overgrown siding or branch line, perhaps leading to a quarry or other industrial facility such as this: http://s0.geograph.o...35_8dd12ffd.jpg would only require one point and not even a motor :)

Or a simple bridge over a river with open fields etc is always pleasing and could make a good photographic background as well. http://www.reallygoodtrains.co.uk/reallysharpness1.html "Near Berkeley, the branch crosses this small three arch viaduct" is a nice picture.

Been having a good think about the two ideas that crompton and fairburn came up with, and I'm thinking of combining both. The extension board will feature a point! (which of course will mean I have to change the thread title) with one line going off towards Wigan and the other off towards a coal concentration depot. This line will be weight restricted so that the coal trains are hauled by 08's only, (I would love to use 03's as well but they just didn't work in the north west (apart from chester and birkenhead). Between the tracks though the ground level will be sunken and flooded, forming a "flash" or rather just a big pond due to the size constraints. As the track will join the first board behind the goods shed and so out of sight, I'm thinking of using C&L rather than Peco. Obviously it won't match and it will just make me regret using the peco even more than I do already, but I think the added realism will be worth it having looked at a couple of other layouts on here that use C&L. It also means I'll have to build a point which will be interesting!

Before all that though I have to sort out a backscene for board one. The trouble is the commercially available ones are now getting pretty popular and I'd like mine to be different. I've no idea how to go about making my own though. Perhaps someone here can kindly point me in the right direction?

Oh and another thing that's bugging me are the station lamps. Mine look very toy-like but were the closest thing I could find commercially available that resembled the long thin flourescent type that used to be very common. There seems to be either very old fashionned or very modern lights around but nothing of thr required vintage. Anyone know of better lights i could use?

Archived