Short, Thin and Totally Pointless

gronk the shunter

Well, I never did fit that backscene!  After something like seven months of it sitting in it's cardboard tube it's still there glowering at me from a corner of the railway room.

Anyway, a house move is on the cards, we're relocating to Shrewsbury where we both got new jobs and although I will have a choice of railway rooms both are smaller than the one I have now, which means the end of Over Hulton as we know it.  The two rooms are approximately seven foot square or nine foot square, the other problem being the larger room also houses the washing machine and although SWMBO has already granted me running rights I'm worried that moisture might cause some warping/subsidence.  So what room to have? and what plan to squeeze in?

I'm thinking about having a two track station with a cross over at one end, curving the track around to form a U shape with fiddle yards at both ends but worried it might be far too tight,  Not having templot I'm reduced to back of a fag packet rough sketches (and don't even smoke).  Any ideas anyone?   

post-7259-0-74312500-1363532633_thumb.jpg

Another train that has now sadly moved on to pastures new is this Hornby 153.  To be replaced when Mr Bachmann gets on with the job by a more 1970's appropriate blue class 101.  The sale of the 8F part funded a Heljan 128 DPU,(and very nice it is too) which is currently waiting to be thoroughly weathered.

Have you considered XTrackCAD?

http://www.xtrkcad.org/Wikka/HomePage

This has templates of all the 'setrack' and 'streamline' style points, gives you the chance to use flexitrack to join 'ends' as well as adding curves of set radii which you can trim to suit and join where you want.  I use it extensively.

I too have a house move on the cards but I'm going the other way - an upgrade in room on the proviso that it can be used as a second bedroom where required so I won't be able to have all the disorganised clutter that I have at present.

I'm thinking about having a two track station with a cross over at one end, curving the track around to form a U shape with fiddle yards at both ends but worried it might be far too tight,  Not having templot I'm reduced to back of a fag packet rough sketches (and don't even smoke).  Any ideas anyone?

Download Templot its a free software package (I bought mine many years ago). The basics are quite easy to use

Guest Dave.C

the end of Over Hulton as we know it. 

That is a shame, I have only just found this thread, what a cracking little project. Good luck with the next one though, and the house move.

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I bought most of Gronk's stock a couple of months ago, and he threw STP in for free!  I've got big plans for it including a re-gauge in EM and an extension, something that Gronk seemed to consider for a long time.

Getting down to work on it tonight, pictures hopefully tomorrow, but I don't think it'll be rebuilt with anything like the speed it was originally built!

Archived