Short, Thin and Totally Pointless

gronk the shunter

• RMweb Premium

Before all that though I have to sort out a backscene for board one. The trouble is the commercially available ones are now getting pretty popular and I'd like mine to be different. I've no idea how to go about making my own though. Perhaps someone here can kindly point me in the right direction?

Hi

Have a look at Marc Smith's Poynton Sneer thread, on page 2 he goes through his approach to backscenes (yes, its 7mm but translates to 4mm) - they look the biz and are well worth the effort.

Good luck!

BTW - love the layout.

• RMweb Gold

WOW :O

Am sure I read something about a 6 week project and its looking fantastic only 11days in...

Very nice work and I love the shots of the 24 on Parcels, 47 and those beneath the bridge.

Look forward to see more...:yes:

Been having a good think about the two ideas that crompton and fairburn came up with, and I'm thinking of combining both. The extension board will feature a point! (which of course will mean I have to change the thread title) with one line going off towards Wigan and the other off towards a coal concentration depot. This line will be weight restricted so that the coal trains are hauled by 08's only, (I would love to use 03's as well but they just didn't work in the north west (apart from chester and birkenhead). Between the tracks though the ground level will be sunken and flooded, forming a "flash" or rather just a big pond due to the size constraints. As the track will join the first board behind the goods shed and so out of sight, I'm thinking of using C&L rather than Peco. Obviously it won't match and it will just make me regret using the peco even more than I do already, but I think the added realism will be worth it having looked at a couple of other layouts on here that use C&L. It also means I'll have to build a point which will be interesting!

Glad to have helped :) One thing I've always liked was the "cut down cab" locos of the BPGV line in Wales - http://www.flickr.com/photos/mickscarfe/5773209684/ - and this one which illustrates an 08 on a coal train - http://www.flickr.com/photos/32313490@N02/4136233878/ - there's a low bridge on the line which apparently was easier to modify three 08's than make the bridge higher. There's some great photos of the line's dereliction out there, and one that I can't find from the day a normal height 08 was sent up the line and didn't quite make it through the bridge...

WOW :O

Am sure I read something about a 6 week project and its looking fantastic only 11days in...

Very nice work and I love the shots of the 24 on Parcels, 47 and those beneath the bridge.

Look forward to see more... :yes:

Your wish is my command, as they say.........

post-7259-0-55158600-1340127473_thumb.gif 25307 brings in the coal train for the coal concentration depot at Westhoughton Chequerbent, but as this line has a ban on mainline locos.......

post-7259-0-95821500-1340127499_thumb.gif

The 25 backs the 16tonners into the loop, (off scene) and after a bit of two and fro'ing swaps place with the 08.

post-7259-0-62542800-1340127526_thumb.gif

post-7259-0-71072900-1340127561_thumb.gif

And off plods todays shunter, 08677 from Newton Heath. The gronk will return in about an hour with any empties from Westhoughton, which the 25 will take back to Parsonage colliery in Leigh.

Glad to have helped :) One thing I've always liked was the "cut down cab" locos of the BPGV line in Wales - http://www.flickr.co...rfe/5773209684/ - and this one which illustrates an 08 on a coal train - http://www.flickr.co...N02/4136233878/ - there's a low bridge on the line which apparently was easier to modify three 08's than make the bridge higher. There's some great photos of the line's dereliction out there, and one that I can't find from the day a normal height 08 was sent up the line and didn't quite make it through the bridge...

I couldn't really notice much change in the cut down 03's but the 08's did look seriously odd!

have you tried kytes lights they seem to have a large selection of different types that might suit your needs.

Hi Neil thanks for that. I just had a look at the kytes website and was amazed by their prices, some being as low as 10 lights for £10. The ones I have cost £8 each I think from express models. Have you used Kytes? the price does seem very very low, which makes me suspicious! (working on the premise that if it looks too good to be true it usually is)

Hi, yes i have used kytes, i had a plaza yard light from them for deeping lane and its worked perfectly and never failed on weekend shows, very well put together and easy to wire.

I will definatly be using them again on my other layout millwood, they have just started doing some black pan lights which i may use for the fuel point and yard.

great value for money in my opinion.

I think Cav used some for his Outon Road layout in the industrial area too.

From what I recall when I made my Scalescenes inspection pit, Kytes do a small lighting kit that can be taped to the pit to light it... which looked good on their website, although I cheated and used a flourecent tube-torch when trying mine.

Only just found this thread....

All I can do is echo what others have said,

but I feel the need to say it anyway -

Well done sir! And all achieved in a very short space of time...

There are some really nice, atmospheric shots in there,

especially the one with the 24, and the 25 & 08

Nice :)

Cheers

Marc

EDIT: PS - really like the shot just above, of the 08 and rusty minerals...

what a nice, convincing angle.....

Guest jim s-w

Thanks for that Neil, I'll definitely look into getting some. They do look to be a lot finer that the ones i'm using and at that price they're a bit of a bargain.

Unless you are planning on doing a lot of stuff in the dark please think carefully about adding light up lights that wouldn't be on in daylight as they will detract from the realism and not add to it. If you are planning to do mostly daylight stuff try knocking some up from microstrip and brass wire.

platform%20lamp%20nearly%20there.jpg

Theres a lot of really nice layouts out there that are ruined by unrealistic lighting effects.

Cheers

Jim

Jim, yet again that's exactly the sort of thing I need! The only thing I lack is your skill! Don't suppose you've got any spare have you? :no: At this rate I may have to start foraging through your bins to see what I can salvage!

Seriously though do you have any rough dimensions for your lamps? Actually seeing the levels you go to (I remember reading you were thinking of 4mm scale cigarette ends not too long ago) forget the word rough!

Have you been watering and adding fertilizer to that Deltic beneath? :laugh:

Good to see the overall layout in context... A very neat 12 days work indeed...

Fertilizer?? No I just talk to it and give it plenty of sunlight!

The deltic was to be the start of my next project, a 7mm east coast fueling point, but in these current cost cutting times, that's all on hold and it's minimum cost LMR for now.

• RMweb Gold

Well what can I say all this in 12 days this is fantastic it just looks perfect to me it reminds me so much of the LM Region that I remember when I was a kid all them years ago now !!

This is amazing for just 12 days work I wish I had the same get up an go as you as I've been at the planning stage for over 3 months.

Keep up the great work and I'll be following this thread for inspiration with great interest.

Colin

P.S keep uploading the pictures we all love the pictures :thankyou:

Well what can I say all this in 12 days this is fantastic it just looks perfect to me it reminds me so much of the LM Region that I remember when I was a kid all them years ago now !!

This is amazing for just 12 days work I wish I had the same get up an go as you as I've been at the planning stage for over 3 months.

Keep up the great work and I'll be following this thread for inspiration with great interest.

Colin

P.S keep uploading the pictures we all love the pictures :thankyou:

Thanks Colin. My last layout was at the planning/procrastination stage for 26 years and it still turned out to be rubbish. This time I just thought I'd throw myself into it and see what happened. It's true that a bit more planning would have made it a better layout and easier to build in the long run, for instance where I plan to run point rodding I've built the ballast up into a shoulder so will have to scrape it down, and the fiddle yards should both be one inch longer to fit in a loco, six wagons and a brake, which was the intended length of the trains, plus because I built them short there's a danger of trains running into a 2" abyss at one end if I'm not careful (this happened this morning and damaged a 16 tonner.) But overall I'm happy with the build so far and I'm glad I didn't waste time doodling when I could have been running trains! One of the good things about a layout this small is even if it turns out to be a disaster all I've wasted is 2 yards of track and a bit of ballast and greenery. If I was building a model Crewe though I think I'd be a lot more cautious!!

• RMweb Gold

I've been following this thread am i'm very impressed in what you've done and in such a short time.

Can you curve the lines in the fiddle yards ? You might then squeeze in that extra inch to let you run the trains you want to.

Stu

Archived