Converting Bachmann 57xx to EM

I lost touch with what's going on in the RTR world many years ago, but am thinking about getting my EM stock out of the box it's been in for years, and building a layout for it. For what I've got in mind, a pannier would be useful, but I haven't got one, so I'm wondering what's involved in converting the Bachmann 57xx. From the searching I've done, the EM Gauge Society may have details of how to do it, but I haven't rejoined yet, although I probably will if this idea goes ahead.

A nice easy pull the wheels out job would be nice, so I could get it running quickly. Is that too much to hope for?

Any advice, from a yes it's practical, to detailed instructions appreciated, before I let the moths out of my wallet!

• RMweb Premium

The EMGS Datasheet details using a replacement wheelset, but that doesn't mean you can't use a wheel puller on the existing wheelset.

Ultrascale also do a drop in replacement wheelset http://www.ultrascale.com/ although the current waiting time is 14 weeks. If you need a set urgently, I think I have a set waiting in my 'Round Tuit' box.

Thanks David. Those wheels are seriously expensive, so I think it will be a pull out job for now. At least I know it can be done.

The Ultrascales are only suitable for the Bachmann version, so what's different about the Mainline one?

The Mainline version would have a wholly different, and probably split-framed, chassis (and I think that there may be a couple of versions of the Bachmann) and, at this remove you might be best advised to either sell the Mainline one - if you have one - or replace the chassis completely. Nice though the Mainline body is, the dome has a pronounced 'nipple' effect which seems to be the result of copying a preserved example which had been repaired. This is not an issue with the current Bachmann models.

The current Bachmann chassis is the only one I know anything about having done one myself using Gibson wheels - Gibson do a conversion pack, but note that this is self assembly/quarter and, as it happens, Markits will also do a 3mm axle as well as the correct wheel though these aren't exactly cheap either.

I can't see any reason why pulling out the wheels on the existing Bachmann chassis would be a problem, necessarily, but regardless of how you tackle the conversion, the brake pull rods will probably need to be replaced since these are relatively thick and run outside the wheels. This is a relatively simple thing to do with brass strip.

My end result looks like this:

post-256-0-06833600-1339663549.jpg

I have since removed the cobweb...

Adam

• RMweb Premium

Thanks David. Those wheels are seriously expensive, so I think it will be a pull out job for now. At least I know it can be done.

The Ultrascales are only suitable for the Bachmann version, so what's different about the Mainline one?

I too was surprised to see how much the Ultrascale Pannier Wheelset has gone up in price!

The Bachmann model had a revised chassis.The main difference between the Mainline and Bachmann is down to the motor / gear wheel I would think.

So I'd better stop watching the Mainline one on eBay then!

There's no urgency for this, so I think I'll wait until I can get a Bachmann on eBay, and get the Gibson kit if I'm not happy with pulling the wheels out. My other locos from the same period are an Airfix 61xx and 14xx, so not up to current standards. I've also got a Wills 1804 saddle tank that will do the job of the pannier.

Adam, did you realise that the totem on your pannier is facing backwards?

Chris

Well, I do now, but hadn't clocked that before. Thanks. More of an issue, so far as I'm concerned, is that it's too far along the tank side. Swindon had this peculiar habit of lining to totem up with the toolbox, i.e., the centreline of the loco rather than the centreline of the tank which would have looked much tidier. Up until now, of course, I hadn't actually found a reasonably close-range picture of 9632 (which, was, I think, for many years a Yeovil engine, but which ended up somewhere in S. Wales) to confirm this. Prompted by your comment, I have:

http://www.wrrc.org.uk/gallery.php?level=picture&id=22

Note the characteristic pannier pattern of scorching on the smokebox at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. I've got that right, at least!

Adam

• RMweb Premium

Rather than mess around with getting stuff off ebay and then getting extra wheels, why not just get the complete Pannier deal from Comet.

I believe Comet supply the older (less detailed) Mainline Body.

Rather than mess around with getting stuff off ebay and then getting extra wheels, why not just get the complete Pannier deal from Comet.

The price! Every penny I can spare at the moment is going into a big non railway project.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure they could sort out some EM gauge axles for you.

Regards

Richard

Wise words Richard!

I believe Comet supply the older (less detailed) Mainline Body.

AFAIK whilst in conversation with Comet at York this Easter, I understand it's the Replica item

Archived