The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Wargaming

SquireBev

Kind of ties in with the non-railway modelling thread I started...

Do we have any wargamers here? I used to shun the whole scene as the preserve of acne-ridden loners, but since meeting my other half I've been convinced otherwise. :P

He's got quite a collection of Warhammer 40k stuff, and is working on a very large Imperial Guard army at the moment.

For myself, I've been getting into more historical games, like Flames of War, Rules of Engagement, and more recently, Normandy Firefight. Haven't actually played any games yet, but painting the figures is keeping me entertained.

Men of the 49th (West Riding) Infantry Division ready for action (Rules of Engagement)

DSCF1834.JPG

DSCF1814.JPG

Excessively shiny Shermans, Bren carriers, and a Crusader (Flames of War)

DSCF1977.JPG

DSCF1545.JPG

Anyone going to bite? :P

Hi

I do a bit. Have been busy painting FoW late war Germans. Mostly done now so will probably work on a late war British army (just because I like Cromwells).

Have some 28mm US infantry to paint as well.

All the best

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I used to play Warhammer and epic 40K many moons ago. I've still got all my armies up in the loft but I haven't played in years. There just aren't enough free hours in the week and railways come first.

I still pick up White Dwarf every once in a while to see what's the latest developments are though :)

I used to do a lot of board wargaming and miniatures wargaming. My interest were all over the map (literally and figuratively).

Miniatures was mostly 1/285 Modern or WWII and various scales and vintages of naval miniatures. I was a big fan of Harpoon, and actually participated in a scenario refereed by Larry Bond (writer of the game and author). I still have a lot of games and miniatures stashed around the house.

Adrian

When I was in school I did quite a lot of boardgaming, but it was always difficult to find the time, space and other geeks. I too still have a lot of the old boardgames such as "Wellington's Victory" and "Wacht Am Rhein". These were extremely well researched. However, there was a lot of tedium involved. The computer games from "Talon Soft" were a revelation to me. My current favourites are in the "Total War" franchise. I find it unfortunate that computer war games in the old genre are very rare (I have no desire to do the "first person shooters").

I did these more than 30 years ago when I had a notion to get involved in Napoleonic wargaming. I must have painted hundreds of the Airfix soldiers but the paint never stuck properly. These are whitemetal and 1/76 scale:

P1010001-6.jpg

My representation of the Union Brigade incuding: 2nd Royal North British (Greys), 6th (Inniskilling) and 1st Dragoons.

P1010002-001-1.jpg

A guns crew and

P1010003-3.jpg

Chasseurs a Cheval

John

brossard if your painting plastic thats going to be handled try washing them in a weak solution of washing up liquid first allow to dry naturaly it gets rid of the grease/oil from your skin from handeling .

used to wargame ww2 with 1/76 kits using skirmish rules then switched to 1/300 usualy being the germans usualy with my brother who is onhere

he does alot of napolionic gamiong has or had huge armys in whitemetal

also done a bit of naval wargaming usualy again ww2 using airfix kits then switched to 1/300 ww1 re fighting huge fleet actions on the dining room table which my mum loved lol

I used to play 40k a few years back, but I play Star Fleet Battles quite often in person and there is a strong PBEM community for it. I played competitively for a while and still have the Rated Ace card to prove it in my wallet!

Only "Harpoon" grabbed my attention - I had "lost weekends" fighting over the Korean Peninsular. I still wish that there was a practical, updated version.....

Prior to that I was heavily involved in Practical Shooting (Rifle, Shotgun and Pistol) Competitions which were/still are (but I'm too old) the ultimate in first person shooters with real guns firing real ammunition, in scenarios ranging from "El Presidente" to full blown assault courses.

Best, Pete.

brossard if your painting plastic thats going to be handled try washing them in a weak solution of washing up liquid first allow to dry naturaly it gets rid of the grease/oil from your skin from handeling .

As I mentioned, all that was 30 years ago. After leaving school, wargaming took a back seat. I re-discovered model railways and have been doing a lot of that. I do like the Total War-Empire game (well all of them really) and the real time battles are a good substitute to board/table gaming.

John

• RMweb Gold

My son is heavily into Warhammer 40k and is building an Eldar army. However, for years the cry has been, 'Dad can we play a campaign?' When I had three lads at home it was something I always progressed slowly until they got bored and forgot about it as play campaigns could easily turn into real fights. Now there is only the youngest at home we started a campaign last autumn. It is Napoleonic era but based around an Ordinance Survey map. We have made our own campaign rules and battles rules, and limits on the army size and it all works quite well. My son has adapted a program so that we cam move around the map online in turns but battles are fought with real pieces.

The only issue is time. My son is in the middle of an MSc and my wife is just finishing a PhD so we have let it lapse. I have won both battles so far, although my last one was a phirric victory in that I took his town but he has devastated my cavalry. He still has two unbloodied armies out there somewhere. We may resurrect it in the autumn. Until then I will try and do some railway modelling.

These are somewhere between 20mm and 25mm. Valiant Miniatures have their own strange ideas when it comes to scale...

For 28mm you're better off using 2p coins, that's what the boyfriend has used for his Bolt Action Waffen SS.

• RMweb Premium

I sold all the figures I had when we moved to Chesterfield, I probably still have some 1 to 1200 pre-dreadnought ship models made from balsa in a box somewhere. The use of laminated floors might make estimating ranges easier and avoid torpedo boats being lost in the carpet pile. These days I usually play online my favorite game at the moment is World of Tanks which is free. It has some drawbacks lack of British tanks being one obvious one, but it is fast paced and decisive.

I had quite a substantial Russian Napoleonic army in 15mm when I was at university. When I was painting it, I put in a request for an inter-library loan and found myself with what I was told was the UK's only copy of "drapeaux et etandards de l'armee Russe" by W.W. Zwegwintzov (not a title or a name I'm likely to forget at this stage, I think) . It came from the Bodleian Library, in a large box containing a book (parallel text in French and Russian) and several hundred loose leaf sheets of flag pictures. I was only allowed to use it at a table in view of the issue desk. Somewhere there's an exercise book with great chunks painstakingly transcribed and translated into English.

I can't remember when I packed the wargaming in. There just came a time when I started to find the re-enactment of the bloodbath that was a typical battle of that era a bit distasteful, so I stopped.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

28mm WWII skirmish has just become my primary other interest, about to embark on my first set of Rangers for the Pointe du Hoc scenarios. Interesting to note several mentions for Rules of Engagement. :good:

I seem to have collected far more rulesets than I could ever use or have the time to play, certain paralells with railway modelling perhaps? ;)

Cheers, Matt

Archived