Ash's detaling/modifying thread

Hi- funnily enough im doing couple of Lima 156s ... one I detailed when I was 16, using Hurst Models' parts, so am in a similar situation where I am comparing my detailnig then compared to now, must say its come a long way since then and much more finer and tidier also which goes to show you can improve over time

NL

Any pics or thread running?

Hi- heres a picture here in another thread of my Provincial 156 im doing, been busy withwork as of late so havnt had the time to do a proper write up or article but hopefully will do at some point this week of this one and my Northern Spirit 156 as previously mentioned: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59163-innaccuraces-of-the-Hornby-scotrail-156-anyone-tried-to-fix-them/

NL

Well my shawplan order arrived today, great products, quite a slow service, but I'll definitely give them another go as they are very affordable and good quality.

So after 12 years, my 90022 gets its nameplates! I also gave it a wash in a mixture of Railmatch frame dirt and dark rust, mainly to bed in the new parts which stood out like a sore thumb, but also to blend in with the old black which didn't really look convincing (see my post above for that story!)

The end result surprised me, very happy with it. Saved something from the scrap bin which now will be one of my favourites, although it still does look ready for scrap!!

7678652542_b1d8dd3178_c.jpg

Also treated the roof garden and pantograph to a heavyish wash in the browny mix...

7678655806_f39de81a20_c.jpg

The pictures don't really do it justice, very pleased with it. It's dulled down the overall look giving it a faded stained look which I was going for. One of the numbers must have come off during the wash, I'm tempted to leave it though as it fits in with the look. What do you think?

7678658638_c698bfbfdb_c.jpg

Just need to buffer beam detail this one and it's pretty much done.

I got the 'big camera' out to get a better shot. Underframe was weathered using paint to pick out the details and three shades of weathering powder for the rest. I will eventually airbrush it, but I'm getting married next month and have no time at the moment to research airbrush purchases and learn how to use one. Save that for winter I think.

For a first weathering attempt, on something which was essentially scrap to begin with (wish I'd taken a photo), I'm very pleased.

7679371828_3b4d43863e_c.jpg

7679364848_3a034a71fd_c.jpg

I will probably redo the front valence as well when I airbrush. It's not bad at all, you can only really tell on the second photo because it's taken on an illuminated shelf, but I want it to be 100% because my next layout is going to have lighting.

One variation tha t hasn't been mentioned.

the 'vertically clipped buffer '

In the 'nineties'

90011 Crewe 'as new'

post-1161-0-54573200-1343735145.jpg

900XX Man Picc

post-1161-0-12596500-1343735132.jpg

90037 Man Picc

post-1161-0-14698800-1343735127.jpg

Still appeared in the 'noughties'

90015 Warrington BQ 25 August 2004

post-1161-0-66830300-1343735136.jpg

But a month earlier

90015 Warrington BQ 16 July 2004

post-1161-0-21616300-1343735141.jpg

• RMweb Gold

the buckeye is up on all the locos with the buffers clipped, down on 015 when unclipped.

what was the thinking behind moving the TDM cable receptors from the nose to the bufferbeam?

i never realised until recently that a class 90 cab layout is indenical to a MK3 DVT, wonder if a Hornby DVT cab interior/ight module/ bufferbeam gubbins be used to detail a 90 (admittedly a very expensie way of going about it!)

the buckeye is up on all the locos with the buffers clipped, down on 015 when unclipped.

what was the thinking behind moving the TDM cable receptors from the nose to the bufferbeam?

i never realised until recently that a class 90 cab layout is indenical to a MK3 DVT, wonder if a Hornby DVT cab interior/ight module/ bufferbeam gubbins be used to detail a 90 (admittedly a very expensie way of going about it!)

Hi BJ.

Easier for the ground/Platform/shunting staff to reach if they hadn't allready unclipped them IIRC.

If you look at some of the pic's above .. some have just had the jumpers left thrown over the buffing plate rams or even just hanging down in amongst the air pipes.

Mike

Cheers for the pictures guys, I did wonder about the buffer rotation so that puts that one to bed. I'll model my virgin and intercity ones with one end rotated and one end not.

On the buffer front, I found quite a few photos on Flickr of 90018 in Ews livery with round buffers, like the class 89. Thinking of modelling it for that reason, looks very unusual!

I'm sure there are more restrictions as to where the loco's buckeye can or can't be used, but the only one I can think of insists Mk4 stock propelled from the Up Fast or Down Platform road onto Carstairs South Curve must be done with buckeyes, not that anything hired in by GNER would have got that far.

It was also rare for failed HSTs to be rescued by a 90, this usually being done by a loco with a conventional coupling and shorter buffers.

On the buffer front, I found quite a few photos on Flickr of 90018 in Ews livery with round buffers, like the class 89. Thinking of modelling it for that reason, looks very unusual!

One of mine would have been 90018 during it's time as a spares donor at CE, it later recieved overhauled bogies but still carried Res livery and lacked a pan and other bits. I thought it might have recieved round buffers if it's own had been robbed for another loco, but I've since found photos of it in traffic prior to this in the late 1990's with those round buffers, so can only conclude that they were fitted either as a trial (since most of it's work would have been pulling Mk1 parcels stock), or that's all Railpart had in stock. The only other locos to carry large round retractable buffers are the 73's, and 91's on their blunt end, and It's unlikely CE would have carried spares for those.

It's just come to me. Are the round buffers same as on the 325 units? As it was a parcels 90, could be something to do with that.

I'd forgotten about those, and yes, they might be the same type (although 325's usually only couple to other units).

i know the 325s what dragged by GBRF with class 86 and 87s a few years back as well as 92s haveing there turn on these workings but i cant find any pics of a class 90 on these

also the class 90 electric loco groups pages is a good read for any other info wanted http://www.class90electriclocogroup.co.uk/class90_fleet_history.html

i know the 325s what dragged by GBRF with class 86 and 87s a few years back as well as 92s haveing there turn on these workings but i cant find any pics of a class 90 on these

Unless a set failed, I doubt you'd find any photos- the regular dragging only occured when they were used as hauled stock when Mail returned to the rails, or as a precaution through severe winter weather.

As requested, here are a couple of photos of 90019 and 90136. I'd admit they're both a bit rough by my own and today's accepted standards (they must be 15 years old), and are definitely "over weathered". The excuse for this is because we decided to improve the scenery on the layout by sprinkling snow over it, which means having to have very dirty stock to match.

post-6819-0-92322100-1344102283_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-72757900-1344102306_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-65297700-1344102328_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-14027100-1344102354_thumb.jpg

Archived