Ash's detaling/modifying thread

• RMweb Premium

Blimey - this reminds me of the four 90's I fitted valances to for my mate to paint up as presentation models for the Freightconnection exhibition. I also made four plinths for them. I wonder what happened to them? IIIRC they appeared in one of the mags of the day - if anyone could scan and email me, I'd be most grateful.

Cheers,

Mick

That explains the transfer you sent me then! thanks very much for that, will give it a go when I get an airbrush next month.

On the subject of transfers, does anyone have a few res style white numbers spare? I only need two 9's, or 90019 x2 if they dont match the Hornby ones, but fox want to sell you a full set with the blue flashes and all that for about £8!!

• 2 weeks later...

Not a lot of action with my class 90's at the moment, I've been considering whether to go down the PH designs kit route or not. In the meantime I've started detailing my 91's. I've got two IC swallow liveried models and two GNER, one of each has been completed so far. I also renamed the GNER one 91126 York Minster. It was meant to be 91108 City of Leeds but there was a problem with the transfer, so the next one will become that now.

I filed off Hornby's poor effort at a push pull rubbing plate, and fitted a proper one. Added eth cables and vaccum pipes etc, and a buck eye coupler. Luckily I had a photo of 91104 ex-works from a couple of months ago so it was easy to see where everything goes when clean.

6884400082_4d9087192f_c.jpg

A few quick shots of the models, just need weathering now.

7797731250_cf50eb647f_c.jpg

7797735890_b0c3231aa3_c.jpg

7797716914_ae401a10d0_c.jpg

Hi Ash - hope this pic is of use to you, of a Mk4 based DVT that im doing for a friend, repainted yellow end and skirting ... vaccum pipes from Hornby added, as well as vitrains windscreen wipers and ETH sockets, Buffers are from Craftsman from thier class 31 detailing kit

NL

post-3095-0-46533300-1345406548_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I detailed a couple of Hornby Intercity 91s many years ago - still got them!

A huge visual improvement can be made by painting the area immediately under the leading cab windscreens black - it is hollow on the real thing and contains the wipers. I modified the light clusters by cutting them into sections and leaving out the headlight bit for some relief. This was before BR fitted the chrome front grilles!

What did you do for the lights once you'd cut that part away? Any photos would be great!

I'd always assumed that GNER fitted the silver grilles but I found some photos of them carrying swallow livery with the silver grille. Amazing what kind of useless knowledge you pick up when you start detailing stuff and looking at old reference photos!

Another good mod for the 91, is to cut out the slots in the body side skirt grills. All you see through them is the 2 boxes behind, but the side on view gives a better impression of depth

• 1 month later...

I have the PH Designs kit which I am using on a res 90 build that Im doing. Its very good and certainly recommended.

Cav

Hi Cav.

Im sorry but i have to ask, how are you able to recommend a kit you havent built and how do you know its very good? Is the skirt still completely the wrong shape?

Cheers

Jim

Are sprung buffers available for Class 90's? I don't want the type used by freightliner, Class 60, 66 and 67. I want the regular ones used by most 90's, forgive me as I have no clue as to what they are actually called. And if there aren't any sprung versions available are there nickel silver one's?

Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

Been quiet for a while as I started scratchbuilding a tower instead, but fancied a break so went back to detailing stock this weekend.

I renumbered my Intercity DVT and washed in sleeper grime and white spirit, just needs dusting with an airbrush now and it's done

8091405902_d43d46ab84_c.jpg

Finished detailing my 87, the front end has been done with a crafstman detailing kit to convert it to the later style, and numbered 87018. Lord Nelson nameplates on the way, just needs weathering (I like to do it all in one go to save cleaning the airbrush)

8091402263_a12cdb52d8_c.jpg

Weathered my mk4 Intercity rake and 91030 - only got a photo of the DVT though. Pleased with how it's come out.

8091403454_a2a1903d7f_c.jpg

Also got two of my 90's to the same stage as the 87. Washed, detailed bufferbeams and renumbered/named.

8091406413_658b108489_c.jpg

8091397526_8d40c7fc66_c.jpg

Also one with my building in shot, gives you an idea of scale!

8091415846_c103d9970c_c.jpg

This is what it's meant to be!..

6905824077_c127b7802d_z.jpg

Weathering mostly done now. A few photos of the 87 and DVT's that will run with it.

8106800316_def054a6ed_c.jpg

8106798026_566668cc93_c.jpg

I'm deliberately going to weather the IC liveried stock more than the Virgin stock to reflect the fact that the Virgin stock will have just been repainted at the time I'm modelling

8106781859_c908a4ca07_c.jpg

You can see how badly the Hornby IC livery needs toning down when you compare the sparkling as yet untreated mk3 FO behind the DVT!

8106783871_911e181d76_c.jpg

Have you got any of the PH Designs Class 90 kits? I'm yet to see someone use the so that I can buy one if I like it. RBE said he had one on his workbench. Thing is since I stay in India I wouldnt wanna waste money on something I might or might not like. So I wanna see if anyone has some good reviews on it.

Have you got any of the PH Designs Class 90 kits? I'm yet to see someone use the so that I can buy one if I like it. RBE said he had one on his workbench. Thing is since I stay in India I wouldnt wanna waste money on something I might or might not like. So I wanna see if anyone has some good reviews on it.

There are some (pre production) pics in ph designs section under suppliers and site sponsors on this web site showing the improvement parts

( not getting into discussion if it looks right or wrong that has already be discussed mealy pointing out where some pictures are )

Archived