Mayshill - GWR

Jules

Now I have done that one, I need to do the other one as well, hopefully learning from my previous errors!

Another couple of shots with a recently built Slaters 3 plank MR wagon, and a shortened Airfix/Hornby Toad

P1110054.JPG.f68719b3a6cba1045201b5cd3a5b2cfd.JPG

P1110055.JPG.962478a4ebfe5db43cb76dc84d17c118.JPG

P1110056.JPG.48d66c630564803d296d8c97058a97e7.JPG

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I like the shortened Toad, do you have any details of how it's done?

Unfortunately nothing of much use!

I had purchased a Oxford Rail 6w Toad and quite liked the shorter version as it allowed me to get a longer goods train in the run-round loop.

I had a spare Airfix/Hornby Toad so just sort of cut it up to to match the Oxford Rail one.  The roof was the easy bit...

So although from a distance it looks ok, it can't really be considered that accurate as I'm not sure how accurate the dimensions (body panel widths, underframe etc) are.

I seem to remember I was bored one weekend so just took the saw to the Toad without much planning...

• Like 6

That sounds very much like leaving me with a few books and a pile of broken Tri-ang clerestories.

I have five Oxford Toads to modify and correct the details on in a batch job. 

That ought to keep me busy for a while!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

😀

I'd forgotten I had also fixed the dodgy window on the Oxford Toad - I think I used a bit salvaged from a Ratio kit and cut to size with a bit a plastic strip to finish the job.

• Like 1

I'm using a Parkside Mink van for the same parts as I'm liberating the doors to build a road van conversion of one of the Toads.

There's also plans afoot to cannibalise an incomplete Ratio Toad kit and convert an old Mainline Toad into a permanent way van.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I like the sound of that!

I have leftover Ratio bits, and also an old Mainline load...might do a bit more research next time before chopping things up!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Jules said:

Unfortunately the other side has ended up with a slightly wonky handrail:

57w1.JPG.f428ae66c0aa9d3aec91bed229e2c4d1.JPG

Good job and a rewarding one to do and don't worry about a wonky handrail, as they were not rare on the prototypes and add even more character.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Nice idea!  A lot of 'the old stuff' was pretty good stuff.

I've found that it's a good way to build a fleet of rolling stock to take the older stuff and work it up a little. It's good practice for your modelling skills and is a cheaper way to build a layout.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I've found that it's a good way to build a fleet of rolling stock to take the older stuff and work it up a little. It's good practice for your modelling skills and is a cheaper way to build a layout.

Yes. Latest post on my layout thread (re Accurascale siphon G) chimes in with this thought!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, checkrail said:

Yes. Latest post on my layout thread (re Accurascale siphon G) chimes in with this thought!

I just read that before coming on here, I think that you have a point.

I see there's a superdetailed Toad in the pipeline too. That looks like it will be very impressive. 

Me? I've picked up five Oxford Rail Toads of various types for less than a tenner apiece as people seem to be in a hurry to ditch them. I'm all set up to put right the faults and upgrade them in a batch.

I like brake vans though, they're rather like Panniers.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I like brake vans though, they're rather like Panniers.

What as in there's no such thing as have too many of them....just like sausages then.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I too like a brake van. I picked up a MR single veranda 6 wheel 20 tonner from LMR at Railex the other week. I'll get a ballast brake next time I see them at a show or have an order with them. I'm also gonna order a Kirtley BV from Mousa Models at some point and I think I'll see if I can kit bash a tariff van from a slaters 10 tonner. Like I said I too like a brake van.

Regards Lez.  

• Like 2

I too have a mildly upgraded Lima siphon - bogies are Bachmann, buffers replaced with some whitemetal jobbies and I replaced the end handrails with wire (hard to see in the dodgy pics).  I seem to remember getting the bogies to fit, at the correct ride height without interfering with the solebar was a bit of a fiddle.

P1110065.JPG.2e6bd5a957ab390cfe7298a30ac30bec.JPG

P1110066.JPG.af195d900d075699947962227f419ef5.JPG

P1110067.JPG.70faac33db7b06993a40c1e7b6c54dfb.JPG

P1110068.JPG.50eb0e6253dceced46ac8e90488d4903.JPG

Hauled by one of my many small prairies - you can never have enough of them 😄

• Like 15