Cheap 45120 Peak at Modelzone

andyman7

For some reason Modelzone are currently doing the latest re-run of the split-headcode blue peak (32-677A) at £49.99. Hattons price £68...they're on a the website and in the Holborn store at least. It's numbered as 45120 making it a useful ETH example albeit fairly time limited (domino dots plus split boxes puts it somehwere between 1976-80, no doubt others more expert can narrow this further) or you can renumber.

Just though you might like to know!

• RMweb Gold

They are very good models and this is a bargain, so I've just ordered my 3rd splitter, probably to become 45006 in 1974 condition.

Stewart I don't see any issues backdating the model save fitting headcodes which I have done to one of my two.

Thanks for the heads up Andy.

Neil

How would this model fare for a repaint into 60s green livery? I bought a green 45 with centre headcodes when it first came out and would prefer split boxes. Repaint is no problem to me if the model is right otherwise.

May depend on how well the blanking plates for the bodyside steps are stuck in. Very tempting though.

I got one the other week (the lovely girlfriend bought it for me)! I got mine off the website, The blanking plates on the side are moulded on if memory serves me right. I too spotted them in the Glasgow store. But paying for a train ticket at £4.70 from Dumbarton would have bumped up the price up so i opted for waiting 3 days (Fast service from Modelzone!) It is fitted with a 21 pin decoder now and awaiting service on my layout once i have managed to get a full circuit going. It is only an L shape at the min! I am well happy with it!

• RMweb Premium

They look very firmly applied if they not part of the mould!

Mine arrived this morning and a lovely model it is too. It will be backdated to pre TOPS era in blue in due course. The blanking plates were easy to remove, just slide a sharp blade very gently under the edge of the blanking plates and gently prise off. As usual with these things, 3 out of the 6 went pinging off into the distance and I've only been able to recover 1 so far !

Douglas

Incidently, what're the triangular detailing bits? I assume they're for the roof but not sure if I need to fit them or not!

They fit into the recessed roof hatches. With the spread of overhead catenary, British Rail decided that accessible roof mounted hatches were not such a good idea and blanked them off in the 70s.

They fit into the recessed roof hatches. With the spread of overhead catenary, British Rail decided that accessible roof mounted hatches were not such a good idea and blanked them off in the 70s.

Cheers, now just trying to find a photo of a split headcode 45/1 nose! I'm sure there's some piping missng from the pack.

Looks a very impressive model. Having already got one of the earlier Bachmann 45s I was wondering whether to get one of these latest ones. I'm sure I've read a thread on RM web about the differences between the latest model and earlier ones but I just can't find it. Could someone kindly point me in the right direction for earlier discussions, or let me know the differences, please? I know they now have 21 pin dcc sockets, lights and the prominent groove across the nose has appeared but has there been any change to the body shape for instance, or different details added? Think there may have been a thread about upgrading the older model but can't find that either.

Thanks,

Bill

Going slightly OT.

I was considering the purchase of one and backdating it to as delivered green livery. However I already have in stock an used centre headcode green one, and I have found a packet of whitemetal split headcode boxes. So I'm wondering if that would be a better that much cheaper ption - any thoughts?

Stewart

Stewart.

First things first, are the split boxes for the Peak or are they for the 37/40?

Personally, I think the whitemetal ones are a little rough round the edges nowadays. When I did some split box peaks a while ago, I used the old Mainline body purchased cheaply off ebay. Sacrilage I know, but they turned out ok.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Always worth keeping an eye on stock if you are close to a Modelzone outlet. I picked up a similar bargain about 3 or 4 years ago - a Hornby Brit for less than £70 from the Lakeside (Essex) store which, at the time, if I recall correctly, was about £20 to £30 cheaper than the usual Liverpool price.

regards,

Brian

I'm sure there's some piping missng from the pack.

Just vacuum pipes and air brake pipes (red ends) are supplied, there are no main reservoir pipes (yellow ends) in the pack.

All the boiler roof detail is also present when it should be a flush blank plate, this photo-

http://www.flickr.co...013/4767359733/

Shows it quite well, boilered example rear left, ETH front and rear right.

Not my piccie.

Archived