Cheap 45120 Peak at Modelzone

andyman7

Whoops - should've said phone and couldn't see the postage costs not thinking they were much. As it was a Saturday I couldn't call to confirm. Several phone calls later I managed to confirm the actual postage is only £15 - however it took over two weeks to be credited with a refund for the difference. The model also arrived with a coupling and buffer missing. Whilst the coupling could be easilly fitted the buffer does not seem to 'click-in' - does any one know if there is a particular knack to do this or will it just require glue? Otherwise am very pleased with the model and eventual price!

The buffer is crimped slightly at the end of the shaft - there should be a spring fitted over the shaft and then a squeeze of the end with a pair of pliers to flatten it a bit, you should be able to offer it up to the hole, it will be tight as the crimped end goes through and then you just feel a slight give as it pokes through and into place. If the spring has gone astray, Bachmann do sell packets of their sprung buffers and having one on hand can be useful for cannibalising to replace the odd errant spring.

Excuse my ignorance but could a bachy 45 masquerade as a 46, or are there significant differences ?

Not a split-box example, no, but the centre and twin-panel versions read over, according to the period being modelled, and certain detail differences in terms of triangular panel etc...

I altered a couple of mine a few years ago by using a sharp knife to remove the vertical bar and then fashioned some hinges from plastic rod. It was a bit of a bind though!

It's one of those detail parts that seems to have eluded the etchers so far although I'm holding off on doing my nine peaks in the hope someone will take the plunge in the future.

I think A1 models used to do them, but I don't think they're produced anymore.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi Sean,

I think we talked once before about these grilles on another thread, I used some A1 models ones on an old Mainline Peak but wasn't that happy with the result probably more due to my lack of modelling skills than the etch though.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Sean,

I think we talked once before about these grilles on another thread, I used some A1 models ones on an old Mainline Peak but wasn't that happy with the result probably more due to my lack of modelling skills than the etch though.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter.

I do remember talking about these grills before. Didn't remember who with though. I've never actually seen the A1 etch, so can't comment on it really. I have been pestering Brian from Shawplan to produce these grills, but I'm sure you know how busy he is.

I'm sure there would be a market for them though, as if I'm correct, there has only ever been the split grill produced from Mainline, Replica and Bachmann. That's a heck of a lot if Peaks out there needing the more modern version. Personally, out of my 9, only two need the Grills, but I model the late 60's, so I'm thinking anything from 1970 onwards is likely to need them.

As for the sandbox question above, I've never looked, but I am going to now!.....

Cheers.

Sean.

The buffer is crimped slightly at the end of the shaft - there should be a spring fitted over the shaft and then a squeeze of the end with a pair of pliers to flatten it a bit, you should be able to offer it up to the hole, it will be tight as the crimped end goes through and then you just feel a slight give as it pokes through and into place. If the spring has gone astray, Bachmann do sell packets of their sprung buffers and having one on hand can be useful for cannibalising to replace the odd errant spring.

Thanks andyman 7. The buffer still has the spring in it and appears intact. Upon closer examination it appears as if the whole headstock assembly has simply broken away from the buffer beam. It looks as if it had been previously glued on as there is what looks like some residue left.

Hi Peter.

I do remember talking about these grills before. Didn't remember who with though. I've never actually seen the A1 etch, so can't comment on it really. I have been pestering Brian from Shawplan to produce these grills, but I'm sure you know how busy he is.

I'm sure there would be a market for them though, as if I'm correct, there has only ever been the split grill produced from Mainline, Replica and Bachmann. That's a heck of a lot if Peaks out there needing the more modern version. Personally, out of my 9, only two need the Grills, but I model the late 60's, so I'm thinking anything from 1970 onwards is likely to need them.

As for the sandbox question above, I've never looked, but I am going to now!.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi Sean,

Maybe worth getting in touch with Pete Harvey he might be interested in doing an etch.

Bachmanns first class 46 actually had the later grilles and the right front end for me modelling the 80s. I thought it was a good body apart from the the squat nose, I think the low angled grille on that model looks a better shape than the newer Bachmann model too.

Cheers Peter.

Am I correct in thinking that the 45s had sandboxes at both ends of each bogie (i.e. 8 per loco) but the 46s had them just at the front of each bogie side (i.e. 4 per loco). May be wrong though.

Depends what year you are modelling. From the pics I looked at they had 8 per loco when built but during the early 70s it looks like the inner ones were remove. I noticed some class 40s had the inner ones removed too.

Cheers Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

Modelzone website says 45 120 is no longer available. So if you've missed it, you've missed it!

Picked mine up from the Guildford shop yesterday, I guess there are still some floating around.

I notice quite a few "45120"s turning up on eBay for inflated prices now.....

They were at that price for a while. Modelzone was doing them at a knock down price. I have also noticed that there is no 45053's anywhere now, not even on flebay!

Archived