chaz

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dan. Those figure models do look very good. They are available in 1:43.5 for £5, which looks a good price for such quality. My only reluctance is that the figure will only be glimpsed at some distance, in the cab - so such quality might be rather wasted.

Anyone got one of this range in 7mm? If you have would you care to comment on the quality?

Chaz

Funnily enough Chaz, I had myself scanned at the recent Bristol show, both in civvies and in my DB Schenker uniform....

post-6732-0-77972400-1456780057_thumb.jpg

post-6732-0-84383400-1456780209_thumb.jpg

post-6732-0-41909700-1456780242_thumb.jpg

These are 7mm scale and I'm very pleased with how they came out. I showed them to my 5 year old daughter the other day and she instantly recognised her daddy!

I have no connection with Modelu, other than as a satisfied customer.

Regards

Dan

• Like 2

Funnily enough Chaz, I had myself scanned at the recent Bristol show, both in civvies and in my DB Schenker uniform....

attachicon.gif_20160212_224338.JPG

attachicon.gif_20160212_224237.JPG

attachicon.gif_20160212_224259.JPG

These are 7mm scale and I'm very pleased with how they came out. I showed them to my 5 year old daughter the other day and she instantly recognised her daddy!

Regards

Dan

I see we share a hairstyle and similar shape :no:

attachicon.gif_20160212_224338.JPG

attachicon.gif_20160212_224237.JPG

attachicon.gif_20160212_224259.JPG

Regards

Dan

Did you get an S7 version sat in an armchair too Dan? ;)

Rod

Thanks, very kind. I'll consider the options and get back to you if I may

Best

Simon          

No problem, Simon.

Rod

Rod

Thanks again for your kind offer - I won't take you up on it.

I purchased a large (6" lens) LED - illuminated version of my old one. I presume the "leg" will fail in the same way in due course, but as the previous one was at least 10 years old, I didn't feel that it's bad value.

All the best, and thanks again

Simon

Rod

Thanks again for your kind offer - I won't take you up on it.

I purchased a large (6" lens) LED - illuminated version of my old one. I presume the "leg" will fail in the same way in due course, but as the previous one was at least 10 years old, I didn't feel that it's bad value.

All the best, and thanks again

Simon

Hi Simon.

No problem.  I'll keep it to use in the shed - I use a picnic table as a workbench in the shed: it hasn't been used much outside for a while!!!  The lamp will fasten to that.

Rod

Fitting the Hudswell Clarke's missing spring...

Removing the brake pull rods and two screws allows the keeper plate to be removed. The rear axle can be lifted out, with its brass bearings, revealing the pockets in which the springs locate. The scriber is pointing to the spring which isn't there (?  :O ).

P1060068-2%20600%20x%20443_zpsirv4pr6f.j

The springs are very small...

P1060069-2%20600%20x%20436_zpsvkugsuhq.j

...that's a 12BA screw for a sense of scale.

If you do this be careful when replacing the axles - the phosphor bronze pickups, being springy, will tend to go the wrong side of the wheel flanges - keeping them pushed flat against the chassis block while the axles are pushed home will avoid any damage.

.....................................................................................................

Some time ago I bought one of the last Ixion Manning Wardle 0-4-0STs from Dragon Models.

P1020785-2%20600%20x%20496_zpsk31m3otw.j

Later I decided I had too many industrials (idiot - is it possible to have too many?) and sold it to a friend. A move that I instantly regretted. He recently decided to do German O (seduced by the superb Lenz range) and sold off his British 7mm - so I bought it back. It had been painted black and "Elijah" and "No. 6" plates fitted.

P1060070-2%20600%20x%20464_zpskw7a3pds.j

Bare brass patches where I have removed the plates. No matter as I intend a repaint. I will also get some nameplates for it - "Anna" would suit such a neat little loco.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 7

Guest Isambarduk

"idiot - is it possible to have too many [industrials]?"

I think you know the answer, Chaz: No!

This is still my current favourite:

GCR278-Humber-3-4-RHS.jpg
My reworking of an Ixion Hudswell Clarke

David

"idiot - is it possible to have too many [industrials]?"

I think you know the answer, Chaz: No!

This is still my current favourite:

GCR278-Humber-3-4-RHS.jpg

My reworking of an Ixion Hudswell Clarke

David

"This is still my current favourite"  And I can see why. The work you have done on this model has lifted it to a higher plain entirely. I love those coupling rods - they look properly engineered.

Chaz

post-7265-0-98179900-1457177567_thumb.jpgHi chaz , love following this thread. I managed to bag a diecast Taxi last year from ebay which i duly stripped down and repainted the actual brand is unknown?, but i had only seen modern ones. 

ATB 

Kevin 

Spent a very pleasant day at the Oasis Academy at Lordshill in Southampton as a guest driver on DLT's Bridport Town, a lovely looking NG layout and a joy to operate.

I met with Chris Klein who gave me a poly' bag containing a couple of minute coil springs for the Hudswell Clarke's rear axle, so that should be back in sevice before the next show. He's a very nice man!

Purchases? just the one which I couldn't resist...

P1060055-2%20600%20x%20474_zpsj3cplsyi.j

TAXI!

Chaz

• Like 1

That's a very nice taxi, Kevin and possibly more likely on Dock Green than my FX4. The latter were just starting to appear in 1959 so not totally impossible. Of course its new-ness might justify the gloss finish? The milk float is another possible anachronism but I'm relying on Rule One to silence any critics...

Chaz

Chaz

Who makes the milk float please

Paul R

Erm....dunno. The underside is marked "WALES & EDWARD RANGEMASTER MILKFLOAT"  "1/43"  "Made in China".

Both it and the taxi were packaged with an "007 - James Bond" theme. I got them both from the Radley Models stand at a recent show and the milk float can be found on this page...

http://www.radleymodels.com/o-gauge-ready-to-run-coach-or-bus.html

Hope that's helpful.

Chaz

Somewhere in my stash I have a battered old Dinky Toys electric milk float. It was one of those impulse purchases at a silly price that was ripe for upgrading to scale model standards. It's much more in keeping with the Dock Green style.

Chaz, if you are interested in it, I'm thinking it might be fun to dig it out and apply a little Heather Kay magic to it. I would be quite happy to donate it to Dock Green if you'd like it.

Somewhere in my stash I have a battered old Dinky Toys electric milk float. It was one of those impulse purchases at a silly price that was ripe for upgrading to scale model standards. It's much more in keeping with the Dock Green style.

Chaz, if you are interested in it, I'm thinking it might be fun to dig it out and apply a little Heather Kay magic to it. I would be quite happy to donate it to Dock Green if you'd like it.

That's a very kind offer Heather, maybe turn up to a show with it sometime? I would certainly be very grateful for any Heather Kay magic you bestow on it. Is it the type of vehicle that was steered by a bloke walking in front? I have a dim memory of one like that whining along Hertford Rd when I was in short trousers.

Chaz

I think the model is based on the four-wheeled NCB type with an enclosed cab. If you do a quick image search for "Dinky toy electric milk float" you'll see what I mean.

I will retrieve it from storage and see what I need to do to bring it up to spec.

I think the model is based on the four-wheeled NCB type with an enclosed cab. If you do a quick image search for "Dinky toy electric milk float" you'll see what I mean.

I will retrieve it from storage and see what I need to do to bring it up to spec.

As you say a quick Google reveals the shape of the vehicle. Some fairly eye-watering prices on ebay! As I recall Dinkies were to varying scales, what scale do you think the milk float is to?

Chaz

I believe the older Dinky Toys, of around the 1940s into the 1960s, were a fairly consistent 1/43rd. I seem to recall reading they were often sold as being the same scale as Hornby O gauge. Dinky and Spot On (Triang) retained the scale, whereas Corgi seemed to go off on 1/50th for their commercial vehicles but stayed with 1/43rd for cars and vans.

Finding correctly scaled commercial vehicles is one of the things that bugs me about 7mm scale model railways.

Having said all that, I hope I've still got the thing! I think a rummage in the stores is in order before I go any further!

Edited by HeatherKay

Found 'im!

post-17766-0-58394700-1457271112_thumb.jpeg

I bought this at a toy fair/swap meet what must be twenty years ago now. One stall had a really battered example with most of the wheels missing for thirty quid. On the next stall I found this one for a fiver!

While I was rummaging I found a donor vehicle that can give up its wheels for the float.

It's obviously been given a good shake up in the toy box, to judge from the (entirely typical) paint condition! Brings to mind my very well used Meccano set that used to be red and green.

I'd be more than happy to "borrow" it for display on Dock Green or buy it from you outright if you prefer once it has received "a little Heather Kay magic".

Chaz

Edited by chaz

Chaz, I am very happy for the float to go to a good home. I am also very happy to breathe new life into it as it'll make a lovely change from the pesky GWR engines which are infesting my workshop at the moment! I shall not ask for anything in return, aside from the warm glow of a job well done.

Now, the "researchlight" turns to finding suitable east London dairies and their liveries. ;)

• Like 3

Chaz, I am very happy for the float to go to a good home. I am also very happy to breathe new life into it as it'll make a lovely change from the pesky GWR engines which are infesting my workshop at the moment! I shall not ask for anything in return, aside from the warm glow of a job well done.

Now, the "researchlight" turns to finding suitable east London dairies and their liveries. ;)

Thanks Heather. But North London rather than East - think Hornsey, Harringay etc

Chaz

• Like 1

This model is made by Altaya l think. Having said that I find it hard to distinguish some offerings from IXO, Altaya or Hachette. All of these seem to have issued the same model of the RT bus, AEC Regal, Fordson FT7 and Bedford trucks.They are very nice and an honest 1:43 scale. I wish these pesky Europeans would do more British prototypes.

Bquote name="chaz" post="2227648" timestamp="1457256838"]Erm....dunno. The underside is marked "WALES & EDWARD RANGEMASTER MILKFLOAT"  "1/43"  "Made in China".

Both it and the taxi were packaged with an "007 - James Bond" theme. I got them both from the Radley Models stand at a recent show and the milk float can be found on this page...

http://www.radleymodels.com/o-gauge-ready-to-run-coach-or-bus.html

Hope that's helpful.

Chaz

It's a crying shame that the locals don't do "honest 1:43 scale", frankly, instead of choosing the size of the box and scaling the model to fit.

When I was a kid, Dinky & Corgi were pretty much spot on, whereas Spot On were 1:32 (IIRC) and thus perfect for gauge 1 and the car park of your Scalextrc race track. (See what I did there)

And as they progressed, wheels acquired nuts, and the horrid rivetted axle disappeared - I had some lovely models.... (Most of which had paint like Heather's milk float). Ah well...

Best

Simon