RMweb

Bachmann City of Truro

Implacable

Missed the boat??

Who has?

If Hornby go on to produce one and sell it at say ??90ish then I would have one! Def!

But...........??145 is a bit rich for me, especially as its a GWR liveried model. Good luck to those who buy it.

But of anyoje else knocks one out for under ??100 in BR then I want 1 ta!

I think a quick lesson in economics is needed! Basically any manufacturer has development cost BEFORE even producing the first model for sale. Years ago when Evening Star was introduced I believe the body alone cost ??100k, so what would a modern one cost? Anyway, whatever the cost, the manufacturer has to put this money upfront to do the development, then look to recoup the investment within a given period of time. Easy way to think of it - he gets a bank loan, and has to repay so much per month. So sales must bring in a return of more than the bank loan repayment. Now something common...maybe a mk1 coach?...would see ongoing sales over a long period of time. A special subject ...like CoT.....would not sell as many (though I think will be popular enough to justify production) so the unit cost per model has to be higher (proportionally) to get the same return. Two points: (1)I know a mk1 coach is not as complex as CoT so therefore will cost proportionally less to produce, but I am trying to show the principle of the economics. (2)I have not included the production costs; these will be broadly in line with one another, and making 1000 will cost 10x making 100.

So to recap, if it is a ltd edition, you WILL have to pay more than for a comparitive normal production. Personally I think that the NRM/Bachmann have done a good job on holding the price down to what it is, shame the loco is G*R not GER!

The price won't drop as with other models. The NRM have a monopoly on the model if, as suggested they own the tooling. Therefore there is no competition so they can charge whatever they want for as long as people are buying them. Captve market and all that.

Inclined to agree with that. The NRM have it pretty much taped really - they can produce repeat batches of the non-LE version whenever they want and whenever they perceive a demand. Bachmann are effectively a subcontractor and as long as their costs get covered at some point in the proceedings, they're not going to be too bothered

• Like 1

I understand the merits for the engine being a limited edition run and thus more expensive - but as someone who could get WOW factor when opperating at some future exhibition, this is a definate purchase for me. Ordered mine online last night and now waiting in the heartland of the 51 area shed plate for a old western region engine to arrive! Who'd have thought it?!

• RMweb Gold

I understand the merits for the engine being a limited edition run and thus more expensive - but as someone who could get WOW factor when opperating at some future exhibition, this is a definate purchase for me. Ordered mine online last night and now waiting in the heartland of the 51 area shed plate for a old western region engine to arrive! Who'd have thought it?!

That's what I like to hear - I'm sure all of us with copper caps are duly proud of your conversion :D (btw I can speak from both camps as it happens with one great grandfather who worked for the GWR and another who worked for the NER, plus sundry other relatives who also worked for the latter).

• RMweb Gold
Mmmm, so that means 300 sheets when her indoors adds an equally innexpensive coat

But does Mrs Coach require a new coat every time you acquire a new loco, Coachman? ;) ;)

And now I'm in a quandry - should I ask the Civil Engineer to rebuild all the platform clearances on the S&DJR, so that I can run one too?... :O ;)

Well, thats mine ordered as well, No222 apparently. Next problem, apart from having it delivered to my place of work and them smuggling it in, is how to explain that, once discovered, (she has spies everywhere) its not the Beatie tank I was allowed to order, but something else................ This is going to be an expensive christmas as I shall undoubtably have to reciprocate with something blingy!

I've been 'playing' - testing 3440 on our new part-completed test track. With five on the drawbar I felt the ghost of Moses Clements pushing my hand. On a track with some nice gentle curves you'd get the ton out of this Truro and still have volts to spare. Its a good slow runner, too, and with 12 Hornby Mk1s on, the slipping was only really due to trainset curves.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 1

Goods news there dibbers. At least a proprietory outside frame 4-4-0 will not suffer from the problem that plagues many kit built locos of this type, slipped quartering of the outside cranks.

But does Mrs Coach require a new coat every time you acquire a new loco, Coachman? wink.gif wink.gif

...Ooohhh Yesssss.

I keep telling the tax man I have a wife and five wardrobes to support...sad.gif

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And now I'm in a quandry - should I ask the Civil Engineer to rebuild all the platform clearances on the S&DJR, so that I can run one too?... ohmy.gif wink.gif

If mine arrives before Xmas I'll bring it along to the 30th meet up so you can see it in the flesh and help you make a decisionwink.gif

• RMweb Gold

I??m in a bit of a quandary really - it??s clearly a really nice model, and it??s the kind of initiative I??d like to support, but since I??ve already got a Truro, do I really need another one? I suppose I could rename one of them for another City and ignore the detail differences, or just accept having two models of the same engine at different points in its career... or ... hmm... where??s my credit card?

I don't think I've ever seen such a popular model ever... :lol:

How many of us have owned a model of 4472 in our lives? :lol:

It is however nice to see that a model of such an iconic locomotive is getting a great press and a great model to match.

Has to be said, anyone wanting to model the NRM has a great choice of models to choose from RTR - the caledonian Single and Truro lineup from the 60s can be finally made in 00.

Has to be said, anyone wanting to model the NRM has a great choice of models to choose from RTR - the caledonian Single and Truro lineup from the 60s can be finally made in 00.

Could start another frothfest by suggesting lobbying Glasgow City Council to commission a model of Caley 123 to mark the opening of the new Museum of Transport...

Could start another frothfest by suggesting lobbying Glasgow City Council to commission a model of Caley 123 to mark the opening of the new Museum of Transport...

It'll have to have the buffers done right, or I'll not pay a penny over 50 quid for it :P