Bachmann City of Truro

Implacable

I forgot, yes there was someone from Trading on here too, and another current member of staff is also on here!

I stand corrected Anthony - now it's been mentioned I do recall a few posts by 'NRM' in connection with 'Deltic'; my point being that there wasnt anybody who was routinely around in the same way as, say, Chris Leigh for ModelRail. As for you and your colleague, I dont blame you for keeping your heads down ;)

I think I would still go for the Martin Finney Kit http://website.lineone.net/~cbwesson/GWR%20City.htm Note that the photo shows how City of Truro should look with Indian red frames in as built condition, it has no copper cap chimney sandboxes top feed etc, I would like see CoT in green and black lined out with Great (garter crest) Western on the tender. The current livery and condition annoys me as much as Flying Scotsman with smoke in apple green livery.

The Martin Finney 4mm kit is ??96, you needs to get a tender, wheels, and motor plus inside working motion. So you are heading for ??200 before you start it plus it need painting and lining, so in reality the Bachman model maybe is good value for money.

David

Great to have this model available and have the NRM benefit from it. Not sure if I missed something but is it in the 1957/61 preserved livery, if so the sand boxes should be red according to pictures I have? Not that its made any difference to me as I've just ordered mine over the phone from Will at the NRM.

I tried to order my copy of the model, but the NRM online shop can only take data from UK residents.

Hard to believe these days.

(Edit)- I just found out that international orders can be taken by telephone at (0044)-1904 685 730.

You have to leave your details, and will be called back later.

Leen.

• Like 2

Legend wrote : Just wonder if Bachmann going to play a blinder here and announce City of Truro through NRM with perhaps a Dukedog making it into their main range in March?

Whilst Bachmann could produce further GWR 6'8 1/2" 4-4-0s with a different body featuring the the smaller No2 boiler (e.g. the "Flowers"), the Dukedogs and Bulldogs would need a different chassis too - with 5'8" wheels. So I don't think we'll see those locos very soon.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Heres a nice photo of her.Can anyone tell me where I took it ? GW red headlamps and a BR CRE headboard is a bit of a mismatch though.The different reds of the bufferbeam and frames clash don't you think.

post-126-12600282636327_thumb.jpg

Heres a nice photo of her.Can anyone tell me where I took it ? GW red headlamps and a BR CRE headboard is a bit of a mismatch though.The different reds of the bufferbeam and frames clash don't you think.

Looks suspiciously like Didcot Railway Centre.

Well, that's mine ordered now. After previously commenting on the bufferbeam number having "No." on the left of the coupling hook, and wondering if it was correct, it appears that it is correct, for it appears that some locos, but maybe not all, did have this feature, the Cities included. However, it seems that bufferbeam numbers later disappeared for a short period though. As the Bachmann model is of Truro in it's current structural state, "as preserved", the bufferbeam number is incorrect anyway, as Truro doesn't carry one. If it was modelled in "as built" condition, then the complete livery appears to be correct, but it would look rather different to the Truro we all know today. What the heck,there's plenty of preserved locos running in spurious liveries, No.120 for one............

I look forward to getting Truro as 3717, or any other City when they eventually get released, too.

Looks suspiciously like Didcot Railway Centre. (quote)

Looks even more like Swindon! The year we got it to the GWR Convention weekend at STEAM. (Note the road barrier in the background)

Livery of the NRM model seems a bit nondescript to me. I suppose its meant to be the current livery - but surely it doesn't have a buffer beam number and 'No.' on it now? (Unless it was last painted at Doncaster, perhaps!)

In 1957 livery the sandboxes were, indeed, painted Indian Red - except that it wasn't Indian Red, just the best they could do. I did hear that it was a mixture of wagon bauxite and buffer beam red! I liked it like that.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

Looks suspiciously like Didcot Railway Centre. (quote)

Looks even more like Swindon! The year we got it to the GWR Convention weekend at STEAM. (Note the road barrier in the background)

Livery of the NRM model seems a bit nondescript to me. I suppose its meant to be the current livery - but surely it doesn't have a buffer beam number and 'No.' on it now? (Unless it was last painted at Doncaster, perhaps!)

In 1957 livery the sandboxes were, indeed, painted Indian Red - except that it wasn't Indian Red, just the best they could do. I did hear that it was a mixture of wagon bauxite and buffer beam red! I liked it like that.

CHRIS LEIGH

You're spot on Chris. :icon_thumbsup2:

It was around the time I went 'full time' painting in 1972 that Alan "Bracks?? sent me a dry sample of brownish red paint telling me this was the colour the Truro frames should be, and not the bright red oxide they then carried. It was quite a culture shock!

I seem to have missed the price. What price is the Bachmann?

Larry

• RMweb Gold

It was around the time I went 'full time' painting in 1972 that Alan "Bracks?? sent me a dry sample of brownish red paint telling me this was the colour the Truro frames should be, and not the bright red oxide they then carried. It was quite a culture shock!

I seem to have missed the price. What price is the Bachmann?

Larry

150 sheets including P/P Coach.Treat yourself.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks gwrrob..... Mmmm, so that means 300 sheets when her indoors adds an equally innexpensive coat.sad.gif

You could always come out of retirement to paint some coaches to pay for it. ;)