Mainline or Hornby Dean?

I'm afraid so. The driven wheels are moulded as one with the gears. The wheelsets are clearly shown here as spares: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hornby-X8303BK-ex-Airfix-Dean-Goods-Tender-Drive-Wheel-Set/311770410791?epid=632073934&hash=item4896f6ef27:g:QioAAOSwUKxYZp5Q

The replacement wheels I have used are found here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hornby-X9357-Grange-Tender-Wheel-Set/322165421842?hash=item4b028e3712:g:mOMAAOSwc1FXa6PP

Being made of plastic, the Dean Goods tender wheels are easily ground back on a belt sander or grinding wheel (with care!). I've done 3 sets so far and not lost a single wheel.

Regards,

Rob

• RMweb Gold

So the gears are actually joined to the inside of the wheels on the original...is that how it works ? I cannot just replace the wheels ?

Correct. If you want to finescale these, the only route is a powered loco chassis (Comet kit) and matching tender chassis which looks much nicer anyway. 

John

When the Mainline version first appeared, I started converting it to EM. I might even finish it one day! This is as far as I got with fitting Ultrascale wheels. I obviously managed to cut the gears off the back of the wheels, probably using a razor saw. I think I then fitted the gear and new wheels on a new axle. The gears seem to mesh nicely, so it would probably work. I doubt if I'll go any further with it now, as my current plan involves backdating it to as built condition in P4, and that probably will mean a new chassis!

post-7091-0-23899000-1509357479.jpg

post-7091-0-75783600-1509357460.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Yes.  The drive was on the tender and the wheels were solid plastic mouldings (with grooves for the traction tyres) with the pickup on the loco wheels. The gears, the final drive from the pancake motor which drove through a train of spur gears, all plastic, were moulded as part of the wheel.  The motor necessitated a barely feasible pile of coal in the tender to accommodate it, and the gears were quite visible below the tender solebar, drawing attention to themselves when they were revolving.  This was considered acceptable at the time, and at least the cab interior was detailed, essential on an open cab loco like this.

Performance may have been considered acceptable at the time, but not by me!  I found it jerky at low speed, and underpowered, with the motion and loco wheels prone to jamming and sliding while the tender visibly pushed or pulled the loco.  I was happy enough with the level of detailing and finishing on my BR black model.

The later Hornby motor is not one I am familiar with, but if it was a lower profile version this was not reflected in the coal pile!

• 3 weeks later...

There seems little point to this thread now Oxford do a vastly better loco.  My Airfix Dean body went on to a K's 57XX chassis with 20mm Romfords and then to a much modified Triang Hall Chassis with 20mm Romfords and the chassis re drilled to the corect wheelbase and Mainline 57XX coupling rods fitted.  The tender drive was just plain awful, almost as awful as the K's body.

So it is 21 tooth gear. Could somebody measure the diameter for me with a set of micrometers ? I would like to see if there is a brass version available from China......you never know until you look.

Perhaps this is a job for a 3D printer ?

Archived