Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Building a 'Princess Royal' pacific in 4mm

• 1 month later...

post-23587-0-45300300-1531402089.jpg Princess Victoria....Hornby body Comet chassis ...Mike Edge motion bracket depicting the loco as she was photographed at Polmadie 1949.....also when I received the Tri ang version Christmas 1964

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

Having just discovered this thread, I must say there is some really excellent modelling there gents. The 'Princess Royal' class locos were always one of my favourites; very handsome engines. I have a (wishful, or is it wistful?) vision of a green, but somewhat work-stained 46210 'Lady Patricia' on my budding layout, returning from Edinburgh Princes Street to Glasgow Central, on the hourly (I think) stopper via Schotts. A little unlikely, I'm afraid, as she would be way above my modelling skill grade, although I did sneak a peek to see if there might still be any etches left on the Judith Edge site at UK Model Shops Directory - to no avail.  The photos of those fabulous models from Mike, Mark et al do bring back some fond memories of the real thing though.  

Thanks very much for your reply Mike. I really am 'swithering' as they might say in Scotland, over this, as I am very aware of the disparity between my hope of completing what seems quite a challenging project, and my actual modelling ability at present. I am assuming the etch you have in stock is that for the loco chassis only. I would then need to source - or try and build - a loco superstructure, and the perhaps obvious solution for the tender, would be a Comet kit. The easier option, for better or worse, would be the most recent version of the class produced by Hornby. Not sure how accurate it is, or the degree of improvement on previous versions, but it does look rather better in the photos. I have a Black 5 and a 'Jubilee' which I really ought to get on with too, as well as a DJH Caley 'Jumbo', so the Princess may have to wait!   

• RMweb Premium

It's the same etch I used to build the Princesses for Carlisle and it's most of the loco apart from the boiler for which we provide paper patterns to cut out of sheet brass. All the frame, motion and brake components are included except the bogie which is available from Wizard Models (Comet) as is the tender. Above the frames it includes all the footplate, splashers, cab etc. and there are etches for the smokebox front and wrapper. No instructions as such but accurate and detailed CAD drawings covering all the varieties (except 6202 in either state) are included.

Thanks for your responses Mike/Mark. I am quite tempted by Mike's kit, but don't want to end up making a slightly expensive 'cat's' of the thing. Not sure where I might obtain an accurate scale drawing, unless from the 'Loco Profiles' series publication on the class by (I think) Wild Swan. I model in finer-scale 'OO', so how would that work as regards wheel and valve gear clearances Mike? I am guessing too, that I would need some thing like the 'Princess' 'Loco Profiles' edition would be essential for me to get the loco-specific detail right, as it seems there were one or two visible variations within the class, apart from the obvious examples like 46202 and 46205. Is there also a source of information on each loco's livery over time. I don't remember 46210 in a red livery, but I'm not sure.      

• RMweb Premium

Well it works in EM with Gibson wheels so 00 shouldn't be a problem. Markits wheels in EM don't fit in the splashers though. I think only four were painted red in BR days, definitely not 46210, the main variation is with the boilers which also swapped between locos from time to time - it's all well documented though. The first two had different motion and slidebars, 46205 had only two sets of valve gear - all these are catered for in my etch.

• 2 months later...

Mike, I realise it is a while since you replied to my last post; much of the intervening time has been spent researching various items, between needing to deal with things happening in non-modelling life. I have no idea what the position might now be concerning the Princess etches we were in touch about, but I have come to the conclusion that - despite the likely length of time I would need to complete a somewhat more complex project - acquiring a set of your etches would definitely be the better option. Please let me know, when convenient, if a set is still available, and how I can obtain it from you. Would you also clarify the situation regarding frame spacers please, as I am not sure - from the numerous posts over the course of the thread - whether they are now included, or one needs to source one's own. You can contact me independently by e-mail on i.ogden88@btinernet.com. Thanks.  

• RMweb Premium

It comes with all the drawings and paper templates, if you mean the washout plugs when you refer to stays, no you have to do that yourself. Firebox stays are not visible from the outside of the cladding - all you see are washout plugs and mudhole doors.

• RMweb Premium

I see what you mean now, the etch includes a former for the front of the firebox and one for the back of the boiler - these two have holes etched in them to peg them together but there's nothing provided to set the longitudinal dimension. There are of course two different boiler types fitted to the Princesses with different lengths of firebox and boiler.

I misunderstood your query because at one time it was widely believed (and repeated in many publications) in modelling circles that the washout plugs were the ends of firebox stays.

Regardless of any other considerations, I have taken the first step towards my 'Princess' project, with the delivery from a well-known south-west book retailer, of LMS Locomotive Profiles No. 4 'Princess Royal' Pacifics. What a wealth of information, photos, drawings etc.! Even a rather nice, close-up shot of the L/H side of my planned subject - 46210 'Lady Patricia'.  The reading lamp will likely be on late tonight! 

Sorry Mike, I somehow missed your last post in creating this last message. I look forward to receiving the etch whenever it becomes available. On the basis of a May delivery, I will likely purchase/order the relevant wheels later this month. I already have a Comet bogie kit, but that is for another, somewhat more straightforward loco - a Pickersgill class 72 4-4-0 - so I will need to obtain another one for the 'Princess'. 

Has anyone heard anything from Tim, who started this thread? It is some years ago now since he last made a contribution. I recently was looking at his embryo St. Aidans layout, which I thought was quite interesting and novel in format. But it seems as though that may have gone into a black hole, or will he resurrect it? Has he made progress on his Princess I wonder?   

1 hour ago, MacDuff999 said:

Has anyone heard anything from Tim, who started this thread? It is some years ago now since he last made a contribution. I recently was looking at his embryo St. Aidans layout, which I thought was quite interesting and novel in format. But it seems as though that may have gone into a black hole, or will he resurrect it? Has he made progress on his Princess I wonder?   

I'm still "sort of" active on here, but not, if that makes any sense?  I've made almost no progress on the Princess since my last posting on it, thanks to getting distracted by loads of other things, including my return to the musical fold a few years ago.  That and a few (very important) life changes.....  Don't get me started on the past twelve months either...!!

As for "St Aidan's", that's long been scrapped as things didn't work out as I had originally hoped....  Long story and not for this thread :unknw_mini:

Cheers,

Thanks for your response Tim. As I often find, life (and related things) do get in the way of modelling, and push things back; it's a case of priorities. I have been following the thread on the basis that I might have a go with one of Mike's 'Princess' etches, and am currently waiting to hear from him re having some in stock. It will be a long-term project. Sorry to hear St. Aidans didn't work out; I thought it was a creative and decidedly different idea. The image of the tank and a suburban coach in the cutting reminded me a little of the Cathcart Circle route, if you know it. 

Ian.