Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Are there other OO gauge crane kits besides the Dapol and Cambrain ?

I have built the Dapol 15T diesel crane and a couple of the Cambrian GWR cranes. Does anybody else make OO gauge crane kits ? They are always interesting to build and look good when finished. I prefer plastic but I would look at brass or white metal too.

The other kit I can think of is the D&S kit for a Cowan Sheldon 10t which is sometimes available in two types of jib.

There is an R&R crane available as a ready built, but I've not seen one yet.

I saw an etch from PH design for a Cravens jib, but not heard more.

The Hornby 75T has potential

The Dublo 45T also might give scope for modification.

The old triang hand crane is very under rated, and I do a detailing kit for it.http://www.metropolitanrailway.co.uk/Cowans_sheldon_handcranes.html

there is also a DC kits 12t telescopic, but I don't think its much cop.

Jon.

ABS do a one-and-a-half tonner and match wagon; the type that was used at sidings and minor stations too small to merit their own crane.

I bought mine donkeys years ago (the page from the Radio Times used as packing is from Sunday 18th May 1997!) but still havent built it so cannot comment on how user-friendly it is.

It's mostly cast whitemetal with a few etched bits for the jib.

ABS is

Adrian Swain

39 Napier Road

Hamworthy

Poole

Dorset

BH15 4LX

Phone number 01202(Uk dialling code, I'm not sure what the international code would be) 672891.

Adrian doesnt have a website and doesnt take credit cards but is helpful and easy to deal with. I may not have built this particular kit of his, but I've built several others and have found them all fairly easy to put together. The cranes stock number is F294 and according to his 2012 price list it is £16.20

D&S has been 7mm only for some years now so the only way you'll get any of his 4mm stuff is via Ebay and the like. D&S kits are very highly sought-after so expect to bid hard.

Actually D & S have been rerunning 4mm kits in small batches for some time now. Their crane does go for a fortune on Ebay but I know a number of people who've just rung Dan up and got one direct. Brassmasters do a match wagon for it and are also advertising the crane itself, so that might be the best way to go, especially as I'm not sure if Dan takes credit cards.

Hang on, there's that US beauty that a few of us sourced last year. If Dave (Max Stafford) is about he may recall more accurately its identity. US outline but nicely workable as a UK outline beast of the thirties. There was a thread on here about it at the time, perhaps roughly twelve months ago.

I'm at work and my example is in the to-do-queue!

Actually D & S have been rerunning 4mm kits in small batches for some time now. Their crane does go for a fortune on Ebay but I know a number of people who've just rung Dan up and got one direct. .....

Wonder how many of those went straight to eBay?

The other kit I can think of is the D&S kit for a Cowan Sheldon 10t which is sometimes available in two types of jib.

Actually it is the Cowan Sheldon 15t crane. It came with a choice of jibs, so can build all but a couple of the cranes that Cowan's produced of this series. There was talk of 5552 Models producing a kit for the Highland one (which would be one that the D&S kit will not do) but this may not come to anything.

Brassmasters are updating this kit for a release during this year. The website says the first half of the year and I do know that a lot of work has been completed on the revamp, so it will be soon.

With the exception of the Cowans Sheldon crane, the production run of all of the remaining possibilities were quite small.

And a shameless plug for my father's book on railway breakdown cranes - http://www.noodleboo...tegory/NewBooks; volume 1 (cranes without relieving bogies) was published earlier this year, volume 2 (with relieving bogies) is fundementally written and about to go to the publishers (and is substantial, so might need to be split into two). There may even be a volume 3 but this would not deal with breakdown cranes per say. If anyone out there reckons they are an authority on crane locomotives, volume 4 awaits you!

• 10 months later...

Here is one of the Dapol cranes finished in grey livery. The runners are built from the Cambrian single plank LMS wagon fitted with AG wheels and three link couplers. I use chain because it hangs more naturally.

post-5686-0-60269100-1368330831.jpgpost-5686-0-88248700-1368330849.jpgpost-5686-0-95537400-1368330859.jpgpost-5686-0-32693700-1368330870.jpgpost-5686-0-08127100-1368330881.jpgpost-5686-0-18170500-1368330891.jpg

Here is another Dapol crane ; this time in black livery. I like building cranes and this is a good kit for a very cheap price. The runners were scratch built from some 4 plank wagon kits. I wish somebody would make a kit for an LMS crane. I would love to paint one in crimson lake.

post-5686-0-97777800-1368504952.jpg

post-5686-0-56192700-1368504974.jpg

post-5686-0-94394800-1368504985.jpg

post-5686-0-16459700-1368504999.jpg

post-5686-0-00074700-1368505015.jpg

post-5686-0-86008000-1368505027.jpg

• 3 months later...

Fantastic modelling Brian... quick question, as I'm building this model as I type... one hand on the keyboard the other holding the pieces whilst they set, got to make sure I don't mix the two together or this keyboard will be ruined.. anyway, the question,  could you point me in the direction of the chain you used please - it really does set this piece off fantastically well.

I bought this on ebay but the seller is not selling it at the moment. I did find some even finer chain from a guy in the US (ebay). He will cut it to any length you require and blacken it for you which is a big help. I will try to find an ebay link for you.

This is the ebay shop I bought it from. You can send them an email and ask if they still have 0.5 mm chain :

http://myworld.ebay.com.au/darls-craftworks/&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2754

If they do not have it then you can contact this guy and ask him for  24 inches of his finest chain (40 link detailing chain). It should look even better as it is blackened and you will not have to airbrush it or blacken it yourself :

http://myworld.ebay.com.au/tallyhothefox/&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2754

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Black-Brass-Detaling-Chain-40-Link-HO-S-On30-O-logging-mining-/221196089543?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item33805078c7

UPDATE : I think they still have the .5 mm jewellery cable

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brass-Fine-Gauge-5mm-Jewellery-Cable-Chain-x-2-Meters-/120921287929?pt=AU_Jewellery_Boxes_Supplies&hash=item1c27786cf9

Excellent modelling brian, I've got one and I'd like to build something similar and make a breakdown train.

Worth remembering that the Airfix/Dapol crane isn't a breakdown one, its probably closest to a track or signals crane.

Jon

A works train then? The crane, two 1 plank wagons to hold the jib, a full brake coach, some box wagons and a 13t sand tippler. Or I could get some ballast wagons or some suitable kit wagons. I'd be happy with it. Or some well wagons and/or pipe wagons. Make a nice change :)

I took the photo in the 1970's for a late friend who wanted to build the then Airfix kit as a rigid 8 wheeler using plasticard sides and cast axleboxes from somewhere. He used the hidden inside bogies from a Hornby Dublo A4 tender and it went around Triang system 6 curves with no issue.He modified a Hornby Dublo bogie bolster as the runner.

Mike Wiltshire

I took the photo in the 1970's for a late friend who wanted to build the then Airfix kit as a rigid 8 wheeler using plasticard sides and cast axleboxes from somewhere. He used the hidden inside bogies from a Hornby Dublo A4 tender and it went around Triang system 6 curves with no issue.He modified a Hornby Dublo bogie bolster as the runner.

Mike Wiltshire

Ok then :)

Archived