coachmann

• RMweb Gold

Larry, thanks to the constant revisions and improvement of your layout those of us who are yet to start on our latest ventures are able to see just what can be achieved without going through all those revisions ourselves. You are our R&D department. Keep up the good work and let's hope next spring/summer is decent enough for you to get on with those garden loops.

Was on a school hike on the Scarborough to Whitby line back in the late 60's, walking betweem Ravenscar and Robin Hoods Bay the track was still in situ, Our geography teacher pointed out the camber on the track and asked if anyone could explain it, one lad replied is it because all the passengers sat on one side of the train to get a view of the sea causing the sleepers to sink into the ballast. Excellent layout, Keep up the good work.

• RMweb Premium

Coach,

That SuperE looks much better now, more like I expected it to do the first time. I hope that when you have carriages on there it looks as flowing and as good as it does with the wagons on.

I reckon that a train at speed through those curves will look great!

Andy G

Interesting slant on trackwork Larry!! Seriously though it will introduce a new dimension to the layout, looking forward to see how it turns out. In one of those strang twist of fate today, New Hey visited Greenfield. We drove past with the layout in the van on our way to the Holmirth Show this evening!

Larry

To be honest when I read that you were changing the layout again I did think why he always gets it looking perfect then changes it, tonight has been the first time I have had to catch up on your progress and I can see why you spent the time on getting the banking as it looks even better now it really has the look of the pictures.

Well done Sir very nice indeed.

Pete

Reminds me of a cartoon I saw in an old "Model Railroader" mag, drawing of a super large model railroad with many trains and loads of track, and a lady speaking to the aghast looking operator "Young man - do you pack all this track up every night when you have finished playing with it ?".

----- Nice photo of the Scot.

Brit15

I had to remove the goods shed in order to get that photo of the Scot. The real Greenfield used to be tad gloomy on sun-less days due to the canopies and high retaining walls and the model is no different. A knock-on effect of raising the Up track 1/8" for the camber is the platform needs raising now... :huh:

Does it, or will you be accurately modelling the deficiencies of the prototype (see earlier photos)?

coachmann :

the platform needs raising now...

Does it, or will you be accurately modelling the deficiencies of the prototype (see earlier photos)?

I looked at your picture of the Class 47, however, the platform surface looks to have be just below bufferbeam height in the 1950s.

The platform looks good and is a method similar to what I will use on my junction platform, when I get there. It is certainly a lot easier than what I tried on my branch one. As for the track, the Peco does jar with the SMP, I hate to say it but it does have to be one or the other.

Otherwise it is looking great and captures what Iv'e seen of the real thing in your posts.

• RMweb Premium

How's the coach-building going, Larry? I hope you are giving it your full attention and aren't planning to revamp Greenfield again in the next week or so! You've got the layout to an excellent standard in about 4 months - the latest photos are very good indeed.

I'm looking forward to the extension of the station area into the garden. Hope you plan to video some of the "action"?

As for Holy Schmoly...who's he/she?!! :dontknow:

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Coach building for clients progressed well and a new coach is going into production now. Layout building is progressing GWR loco fashion at the moment, in other works I am busy replacing like with like... :biggrin_mini2:

Attempting to capture Greenfield and the trains that passed through it in a time-capsule is not as simple as I thought, and so all my effort is going into getting the place looking as I want it. I don't remember looking down the Oldham platform and thinking 'ah that's curved', but it was on photos and thats what counts. Now I will be able to photograph branch trains in a curved platform. This is how the super-elevation came to be recently added.

The Peco Code 75 through the Up platform was replaced this afternoon with SMP. I'm going out with a torch just now to see if things are settling well under the weights! Finally, and I know a lot of folk will think I'm barmy, the coal shutes should be nearer the retaining wall and the latters coping stones should be all-but flush with the ground. Projected completion : Tuesday.

• RMweb Premium

I certainly don't think you are barmy. It's your project and you have to be totally happy with it. If you aren't, change it...

On the subject of barmy... I'm so happy with the SMP track and Marcway turnouts that I've decided to do the entire layout with the stuff. I was going to do the fiddle yard with Peco, but to hell with that. Yes, it's going to cost. but, like you, I couldn't live with it knowing it could have been done better.

So there, two of us are(n't) "barmy". Do what makes you feel good!

All the best,

Jeff

Hi Larry,

I haven't posted for a while but I have been following the rollercoaster ride, the layout looks superb and its great to see some trains sat on the track.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeff,

Coach building for clients progressed well and a new coach is going into production now. Layout building is progressing GWR loco fashion at the moment, in other works I am busy replacing like with like... :biggrin_mini2:

Attempting to capture Greenfield and the trains that passed through it in a time-capsule is not as simple as I thought, and so all my effort is going into getting the place looking as I want it. I don't remember looking down the Oldham platform and thinking 'ah that's curved', but it was on photos and thats what counts. Now I will be able to photograph branch trains in a curved platform. This is how the super-elevation came to be recently added.

The Peco Code 75 through the Up platform was replaced this afternoon with SMP. I'm going out with a torch just now to see if things are settling well under the weights! Finally, and I know a lot of folk will think I'm barmy, the coal shutes should be nearer the retaining wall and the latters coping stones should be all-but flush with the ground. Projected completion : Tuesday.

I was wondering when that Peco was going to come up and now I have the answer. What's the new coach, Larry, I could be tempted by an MR/LMS suburban cos me birthday's coming up.

The edge slabs were painted sandstone colour. The real platform was built in the 1850's and so I tried to create a distressed look to the 80-odd year old edge slabs by carving bits out and setting a few back....

Very nice Larry

Leave it as it is - it just looks like you've been out with your donkey stone on't flags

(Translation will be provided later for non-denizens of the Northern climes.)

Very nice Larry

Leave it as it is - it just looks like you've been out with your donkey stone on't flags

(Translation will be provided later for non-denizens of the Northern climes.)

"U. L. Leddy" cried the ragman as he pushed his wooden cart running on two mangle wheels through Oldham in the early 1950s. "Give these shirts to the ragman and get two donkey stones, one cream and needles for the gramaphone".

"U. L. Leddy" cried the ragman as he pushed his wooden cart running on two mangle wheels through Oldham in the early 1950s. "Give these shirts to the ragman and get two donkey stones, one cream and needles for the gramaphone". ..

I was totally confused, was this English? then I found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_stone

Regards,

Dave

Archived