coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Wills SS46 Pack A Building Materials Jeff.

Cheers Larry. I envisaged making them out of plastic rodding, but a commercially available product is preferable. They look good in red on your coal-drop...contrast in colour.

I hope you are very pleased with what you've achieved here. At times it's difficult to tell the model from reality. Now how about a figure of a young Larry entering the station or standing next to the telephone box? :sungum:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

The Wills gutters and downpipes are great; I just wish they would make them a bit longer and include more in a pack. The downside to making long rows of houses / mills / etc I suppose ;)

Lying in bed this morn, I planned to develop the Oldham end of the layout, but late brekky, visiting relatives, shopping for winter coats and lunch at our fav location in sunny Dolwydellan scuppered all that and its dark now! I know I know.......This is in the wrong place and the Mods should remove it to Facebook.... :cray_mini:

Lying in bed this morn, I planned to develop the Oldham end of the layout, but late brekky, visiting relatives, shopping for winter coats and lunch at our fav location in sunny Dolwydellan scuppered all that and its dark now! I know I know.......This is in the wrong place and the Mods should remove it to Facebook.... :cray_mini:

Larry, on Facebook you'd have constantly updated us at each given point in the day...

• RMweb Premium

So Larry, if I read the post right, in my thread, Greenfield is being put on the back-burner in favour of further coach production? That'll probably give you time to draw breath ready for another insane burst of creativity later in the year!

And btw, assuming you did buy SWMBO her new coat, what did you get out of the deal? A loco? Some kits to make up? Oh, she paid for the materials for the scenic section of Greenfield, did she? :O :no:

Jeff

Physicsman said :

And btw, assuming you did buy SWMBO her new coat, what did you get out of the deal?

Ha ha, no. None were what she was looking for. What I get out of it is knowing she's here. She carries my surname but I never forget who she really is. After living together for 51 years, she knows who i am too and delights in telling the family how mad their grandad is, but I can't remember what I've done. I told her this morning that I was thinking of having my sruffiest body-warmer cleaned. She told me that the last time I had one cleaned, I threw it on the backseat of the car because I can't stand perfume. Then I stopped the car and threw it in someones bin!

• RMweb Premium

Coach, with regards to the leaning into the curve problem, you may want to increase the superelervation of your curves. I thought the photos earlier in the thread showing the train on the curve looked as though they were barely leaning. It's probably one of those nasty tricks of the eye, but to get it looking right you in 4mm you may have to over accentuate it. Try packing out the track more and see if that makes a difference.

Again it may also need some fluid movement of the train through the curves to see it, so when the outside bit of the railway is built and you can see a train coming through at speed, it may sort itself out...

Andy G

You might be right about the super-elevation, although the Cornflake cardboard did the job okay on an earlier layout when it was under around three feet of curve. The crossover on the station curve means that the Up and Down tracks will have to be treated as one super elevation, possibly using 1/16" shamferred cork.

On another matter, I had never wired a Marcway point up before this morning and was suprised to find it works just like a Peco electrofrog provided the switch rails are clean enough to make electrical contact. I has presumed, worngly, that it required wiring to switches or needed soleniods & switches. Just goes to show.

Larry,

Great Northern has recommended your post several times but having now told me the name of the layout I have finally discovered this jem, mucky sandstone and Pennine foothills scenery,wonderful I can't wait to get stuck in again, thanks for the reminder.

Tetleys

In the early 80s Uppermill Cricket Club organised a shopex from Greenfield to London (Peanuts was on it, too!). Aside ffrom the club chairman, one H. Burns, berating the Stockport station staff for not having our 'change' loco. ready (he was a fairly well-known S & T inspector), what I remember is the 'mind the gap' painted all down the Manchester-bound platform; due mainly, I think, to the superelevation around the curve, which is at its tightest through the station

• RMweb Premium

Coach,

I'm a bit worried about your superelevation here. I think the fact that you are stopping around your pointwork is going to be a trouble to you. I know its more faff, but you are going to have a good bit of superE (Is this s suitable shortening?) which is then interrupted with a flat area, and, I presume, you will launch back into a good bit of superE again. This, I feel, will upset the eye as the train goes through.

Knowing what you are like (from reading above) this will bug you, so it may well be worth doing now.

Just a thought...

Andy G

I think this photograph shows the superelevation you're referring to. It was a mountainous leap into a carriage from the platform, I don't think it should have said "Mind the Gap" but "Mind the Chasm"!

47473 (or D1601 to you and me) passes through wrong line on 15th May 1988.

The second shot shows the Oldham branch platform and the goods yard headshunt buffer stop as well as Class 40 superpower in the form of 40131 nearer the camera and 40025 and 40104 coupled on the Manchester side on 5th September 1982. 40135 and 40177 were nearby as well! You'll need to replicate the drunken angle of the buffer stop.

post-7357-0-97692300-1350940549.jpg

post-7357-0-64769400-1350940566.jpg

Hi Andy, The set of points is at the tail end of the transition curve so I have sloped off the camber just before the points. Tests will be carried out before gluing and ballasting takes place. At the moment it is all experiment-experiment, as I want to see what happens here using 1/16" cork.

If it is satisfactory then the curve through the station will follow with Up and Down tracks on the same camber so as to include the crossover.

Dave (Grasscroft), thanks for posting the pictures. The 47 is a great shot...... I rarely photographed trains on the same platform that they were passing through for obvious reasons. The wooden buffer stops on the trap line was hit by a train in the 1870s when the driver mistook a green flag waved from the signalbox as applying to his train when if fact the signalman was waving to another train. This was when trains were being sidelined to allow expresses to pass before the Micklehurst releif line opened.

• RMweb Gold

I know it's a bit to the east of your scenic section but I though you might like this one of Dad's I've just come across.

post-5613-0-02447500-1350943217_thumb.jpg

East of Greenfield Sept 67 J1138

His notes said "p w gangers" but they look a bit smart.

David

two gangers /lengthmen at the back and one in the middle (they've got bib's or a overall jacket on I'd guess) and two gaffers on the outside inspecting the weekends work. The boy in the white jacket can't believe Larry's cant deficiency!

Fine shot Dave....

Smashing picture by your dad DaveF. Not only new ballst but a nice newly ashed cess as well. As you say, this section (heading towards Moorgate Halt) will be just outside my shed. The smoke-blackened sandstone walling is interesting as thats how the exposed sections within the station looked. A position just further down that bend was a photographic spot of mine, and no doubt others, although it got increasing harder to get up the path past the undergrowth by the 1980's.

At the same location in 1961 when the Class 40 first appeared on Liverpool-Newcastle workings. The Crab was working an excursion. Naff camera but I was keen....

post-6680-0-43977800-1350984396.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Interesting thing to note in the last two pics is the difference in the cant angle - far less cant in the pic of the EE Type 4 (although lens length might make a difference?) than there is in the train behind the 'Duchess'. Important not to forget that with no slow freights about and with the change to cwr plus increased line speeds we are nowdays seeing far greater degrees of superelevation that was the case in the steam era.

Not sure if it is the different lenses or not. One restricting factor on the Standedge line was/is speed restrctions, although I doubt many of the steam hauled expresses of the pre-diesel era ever managed to reach those speeds on the climb from Stalybridge. What I did notice very clearly in 1961 was the ease in which the TransPennine Units sped upgrade. It probably sounds daft when I say DMU's crept up on one with stealth, but 'we' had grown up with a noisy railway and were used to hearing steam trains approaching. I probably thought I was hearing a lorry....!

Lovely to see the shots of High Grove Siding. I remember it very well as my school was just across the tracks - a regular feature was a Joseph Crosfield tank wagon and sometimes a 13T open wagon. It was Oswald McArdell's soap works in those days but had been Charlotte Mill and related to Royal George Mills not very far away. I believe there was a siding with a coal drop onto a cart below - you can still see it in the stonework. However, in my time that was hidden by drums of heaven-knows-what that I used to squeeze between them and the wall to get close to the railway track. From there I could see the signal to protect the siding to see if a train was coming. It was a tall structure and featured a calling-on arm that was used not only for shunting in the siding but for workings terminating at Greenfield, such as the DMU from Stalybridge that I came home on once I'd moved up schools.

The cant may have been changed following renewal of the original (wrought iron?) bridge with a concrete one in October 1974. By then I'd even worked for a spell in McArdell's works, but sadly no wagonload traffic by then although occasionally what I was doing enabled me to watch trains go by - not that it was very interesting or busy by then.

Larry, you will remember Mike Howarth. He also worked at McArdell's but this time when it was rail-served. He told me that he managed a short drive of a Standard Class 5 in the siding - it would have been a Newton Heath (?) working by then as Lees had closed.

Love your shot too, DaveF, I feel as if I can step into it. You also have the feeling something interesting is going to come along in a minute and I like the sense of anticipation. I notice both your and Larry's shots have just missed the Moorgate Junction distant, which would be just off to the left.

• RMweb Gold

I have, somewhere at home, a small pile of working notices, bits n bobs, paperwork, paraphernalia which the last shed master/foreman/whatever gave me in 1986, (a long time after closure I know). He was the last 'boss' at Lees Shed – or so he said and I have no reason to disbelieve him. Nothing related to train movements or allocations to my recall though.

Can't, for the life of me, remember his name. I'll have to ask me dad – he's good at remember things from then!

Kev.

• RMweb Premium

That's some quite good improvisation for the weights in post 321, Larry! Reading the last few posts makes me feel a bit guilty for using level track - good enough for me in the station area but might camber it with 20 thou plastikard under the outer rail on curves.

I thought you were having a break from Greenfield in order to build coaches? Lol.

Continued great work.

Jeff

Archived