coachmann

Glad to hear you've got the wiring sorted in your mind - now you just need to keep the track down long enough to attach wires... I hope this latest re-lay comes up to your exacting standards. Are you curving the pointwork to fit in with the rest of the main-line?

Many thanks for taking the trouble to draw out the wiring diagram and apologies for not mentioning it in my previous post.

Exacting standards ... Not really Michael. I have never had any desire to have solenoids or Tortoises, hence ruling out Marcway, but a Code 75 Electrofrog diamond was worth a look to prevent stalling even though it meant wiring it up. No amount of theorising on my part before starting the layout would have thrown up the varous problems I encountered, but I will settle for a reasonable likeness of Greenfield.

Glad you like the track Andy, although it might look somewhat different once the weights are removed.

Larry

Is your surname Beeching as you seem to have a passion for ripping track up.

Regards 81C

If Beechings feeds the passion for ripping up track, I had better stick to wearing the patches! :D

I know this is way too late Larry, but I finally found the wiring diagram I was looking for...

Glad to hear you got it sorted. It was the switching of each V to opposing polarities that threw me when I was first trying to work it out.

The diagram is in post 10.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/20299-how-do-i-wire-a-double-junction/

Thanks Gordon...My brain went into melt down when I saw those double junction wiring diagrams.... :swoon: :mosking:

The Electrofrog diamond crossing is glued down awaiting wiring to the DPDT switches. This unwanted complication just to replace an Insulfrog diamond was necessary to avoid the Hornby Fowler 2-6-4T's stalling on the plastic bits of rail. I'll be glad I went the extra mile though when it's finished.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Gordon...My brain went into melt down when I saw those double junction wiring diagrams.... :swoon: :mosking:

The Electrofrog diamond crossing is glued down awaiting wiring to the DPDT switches. This unwanted complication just to replace an Insulfrog diamond was necessary to avoid the Hornby Fowler 2-6-4T's stalling on the plastic bits of rail. I'll be glad I went the extra mile though when it's finished.

Good luck with the diamond, Larry. Until KL, I'd never wired a slip and my initial plan had 4 doubles, which I was dreading. In the end I got it down to a single and double and the guys on here - Gordon included - with their references, made it fairly straightforward to do. At least I hope so - when the power goes on and the smoke rises...

At least you'll have something else to rip out if the diamond fails!

I think your attitude to your whole project is spot on. At the end of the day if it works for you, that's all that counts.

Jeff

That looks really good now Larry. Compared to the previous picture from the same location, it looks a lot better, and the way the track now flows past the double junction is really impressive.

But I suppose the important question is - Are you happy with it?

• RMweb Premium

Hey PGH, it's way past your bedtime. Now behave! :biggrin_mini2:

I had a good night's sleep last night Larry, probably because I didn't expect to login and find that Greenfield had experienced yet another earthquake!

It does look good now, so best of luck with the next steps. Even with all the changes you've made it's good to remember that this thread only started in July - so you've made great progress.

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

You could have been standing in the same place Larry - how are you going to achieve the "it's just stopped raining" look? Now you've got a heater I hope the coach modelling isn't suffering. Any plans for a new suburban? Hint hint.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, that slightly curved track really does look the business. I particularly like the understated ballasting you do. Too many people put too much ballast onto the track - I think I'll follow your example, even if I do apply it the traditional, tedious way.

Btw, uax6, a follower of Kirkby Luneside, and a professional signalman, has been scanning documents (relevant to the Midland Railway) and sending stuff up to me. Imagine my surprise when yesterday's batch of scans included an article entitled "Panelled coaches in 4mm scale" from October 1966, by a certain person of your acquaintance!

Great work Larry!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff....It's one of the few articles I still have, but don't we cringe when we look at out earlier efforts.

I prefer the olde 'ballast while track laying - job done' method and wonder why it isn't more popular. Thing is, I can lay track, ballast, do ash cess and grass all at the same time. The ash areas will be filed and sanded down to dust tomorrow, but as I speak there is no bare baseboard on show now except right at the back.

The camber on the mainlines is certainly something that adds a depth of realism to the layout. Not to mention the fantastic work shown in all the pictures.

Always nice to see prototype pictures against the modellers master-piece.

Jack.

Larry,

I must say, the re-aligned track looks far better than the version with the straight double junction. I hope you're completely happy with it now, I don't think any of us could bear the thought of you ripping it all up once more!!

The whole thing is looking great and the comparison shots show how well you're capturing the esscence of Greenfield. I just hope I can achieve something close with Delph/Holt.

Dave.

Hi Dave, I know you will make a superb job of capturing Delph/Holt, afterall you started off by adopting P4 and it doesn't come any more realistic than that. Looking at Greenfield this morning, that I didn't set out to get it like this in July can only put it down to some form of mental block............that's the ward where Mary says I should be! :biggrin_mini2:

• RMweb Premium

Coachman

I am very interested in this project and very impressed with your model. I grew up in York and travelled over this route many times in the 1970s and 1980s, You have captured the atmosphere very well.

Are you going to 'notch' the rail heads at 60ft lengths and within pointwork to recreate the wheel rhythms of passing trains. I have done this on my layout 'Whinburgh and Slitrigg' which has an 80ft run and, in my opinion, the sound effect is very effective and realy adds to the enjoyment of operating the layout, particularly if stock has metal wheels.

The sound of trains passing over the double junction would be great.

Coronach

• RMweb Premium

Hi Larry, is it safe to come out of hiding and comment now? :no: I've been following your progress since July and been fascinated with the whole process, I've not commented before as everytime I came to say something you'd changed it all :jester: !!! I was perusing my recently acquired BR 1947 atlas this morning and was surprised to find how close in railway terms Greenfield is to my area of modelling around Sheffield, and I think a Garratt and a D11 are perfectly feasable visitors, if only in your own personal model world, looking forward to seeing the variety of locos and stock possible on this stretch of line.

Keep up the good work

Cheers Phil.

Just found this topic and the layout looks very promising indeed. You really can't beat a very gentle curve for a pleasing track level view.

As a fellow LMR enthusiast (and resident in the principality, albeit in Ceredigion) it's good to see a model set where my sympathies lie!

Also I have to declare a bit of an interest being very interested in ex LMS coaching stock AND owning some tube wagons signed

by you on the underside; not sure if you built them, but they came from Tony Geary when he went to "O gauge"

Congratulations on the layout; I shall be following it with great interest.

Terry Davis

• RMweb Premium

Hi Coach been watching this for some time mostly from a safe position down behind the sofa as you've taken axe to track so to speak, but have to say the results are superb and I love the long gentle curves through the station - fancy coming down south to lay the curves on Prestatyn for me?!

Looking forward to the next episode...

David

Archived