coachmann

The gas pipe is .75 and brass wire soldered together and fixed to the brickwork with squeezed split-pins. The pipe to the signalbox hasn't been put in as yet. I did notice some wood sheathing covering something or other running across the tracks between the box and the Oldham platform (I assumed it was covering signal wires), as well as point rodding. Do you have any photos Peanuts?

sorry no just can remeber a long white pipe extending from the manchester bound platform and running along the cess to a point opposite the box then going underground

this was in the early nineties when i worked thier so could be the same pipe rerouted ?

just as an aside shortly before i left in 95 and whilst on duty during a particulaly windy day the box gave a violent lurch towards shaw hall bank road . this was the bob external stair case seperating from the cabin luckily one of the AMIs was on a visit and felt this and requested the engineers to inspect . they duly arrived to find the boxes foundations consisted of the main structural beams aprox 6"x6" buried two feet into ash ! the only thing holding the box in place was the det placers !

the box was switched out immediatly for the signals safety and stayed closed for two days whilst the underside was shored up and the foundations beefed up over the next month an internal staircase and new door on the front were put in place and the external staircase removed plus a proper kitchen and internal toilet were fitted mod cons at last .

• RMweb Gold

The canopy support pillars have broke off so often.......Give me something I can solder anyday! Anyone know of any etched LNWR canopy edging....?

Not sure if this will help but you never know

http://www.scalelink.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2escalelink%2eco%2euk%2facatalog%2fInstructions%2ehtml&WD=valance&PN=General___Scale_1_76__OO__Varieuse%2ehtml%23aSLF037#aSLF037

I corrected a dip in the Down track today by gently easing the track from the PVA with a thin ruler and removing it. It had nothing to do with the track lifting virus mentioned elsewhere.....! :toclue:

A thick layer of PVA like icing on a cake was layered onto the cork and put the track back. Ballast was poured on and encouraged to slip benieth the sleepers by tapping the track with a small screwdriver. A 3X1 baton was placed on edge on the rail heads so that I could see the rails were perfectly level. The track section is currently drying out suspended in glue under said timber.

• RMweb Premium

I corrected a dip in the Down track today by gently easing the track from the PVA with a thin ruler and removing it. It had nothing to do with the track lifting virus mentioned elsewhere.....! :toclue:

A thick layer of PVA like icing on a cake was layered onto the cork and put the track back. Ballast was poured on and encouraged to slip benieth the sleepers by tapping the track with a small screwdriver. A 3X1 baton was placed on edge on the rail heads so that I could see the rails were perfectly level. The track section is currently drying out under said timber suspended in glue.

Thank goodness for that! Larry, what caused the dip in the track in the first place?

Jeff

Thank goodness for that! Larry, what caused the dip in the track in the first place?

Jeff

I can't figure it. A dip manifested itself months ago under the Peco track and I jacked the track up with cardboard. When the whole coark was removed recently I looked at the plywood undenieth and it seemed fine. Yet, this dip has appeared again. I spotted it in photos and deliberately chose not to use them on here until the job was done. I found the time this afternoon while her indoors was up the mountain setting her bear traps.....

• RMweb Premium

Very odd. I remember some of the remedial work you did in July. How thick is the ply you are using? Has ballast worked itself under the rails in some places but not in the dip area - leaving an unsupported region? Even then you'd expect the rails to be rigid enough not to distort - unless it's a long length.

Btw, I enjoyed your status update about the shopping list. It's a good job that you and your wife understand each other! You did, of course, refer to a track rubber!

Jeff

I found the time this afternoon while her indoors was up the mountain setting her bear traps.....

Yikes! :O

Oh I get it! She was trapping teddy bears so you can use their fabric for the long grass areas on Greenfield? Nice spot of delegation... :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

Or maybe Larry's worn the ply away with all the times he's lifted the track?

I'm really puzzled by that dip Larry. The only thing I can think of is that the board was uneven in the first place, but surely you'd have noticed that? Let us know what happens when the ned PVA has set etc.

Jeff

Archived