coachmann

Plus, you need to get up to Greenfield and paste a piccy of a Jubilee over that copper-capped *thing* :D

Yes, something needs doing with that chimney, it's a very poor representation of a western double chimney :O

More seriously, though, perhaps someone should organise a campaign to repatriate all the out of area railway pub signs.

Nick

Sacreligous Pub Sign opposite the station.

Splendid..... Stationmaster will be pleased and I always fancied a big GW passenger engine! Thanks for uploading those recent pictures of Greenfield and its environs as it saves me an urgent trip over there. The place was treeless until the 1980s....Wow!

I have been doing a Sandside and attending to locomotives before getting back into bread 'n butter mode. My ideas on weathering have changed a bit since a few years back and so the remaining Greenfield stud is having a makeover. The latest addition is 41196 with exhaust injector pipe on smokebox. It was a Nottingham engine but I have photos of it working around Leeds in the early 1950s...

post-6680-0-02095100-1366919997.jpg

The domeless Black Five was modified using the excellent Brassmaster parts and Gibson bevel-rim bogie wheels. The smokebox, top of boiler and cab roof were sprayed matt black and subtle rust marks put here and there....

post-6680-0-10528800-1366920169.jpg

The Crab was bought ready weathered and although it is not really my cup of tea, at least it didnt need renumbering. PGH of this parish took the chassis to pieces and kindly turned down the wheel flanges....

post-6680-0-57746200-1366920171.jpg

No layout based on Standedge would be complete without a Fowler 7F 0-8-0. This is a mixture of Cotswold, Gibson and Bachmann on a Bachmann S&DJR 2-8-0 chassis. The smokebox, top of boiler, cab roof and tender frames were sprayed matt black and rust added where one expected it...

post-6680-0-02536200-1366920173.jpg

Another typical Standedge loco in BR days was the Austerity 2-8-0, although they did not completely oust the 0-8-0s until 1957. New front steps made along with Tender fire-iron frame. Smokebox and other parts sprayed matt black plus leaking washout plus and rust added....

post-6680-0-39403300-1366920174.jpg

As a Railway Inn "irregular" I can honestly say the pub sign is totally forgivable due to the sheer quality of the real ale on sale and the atmosphere within. And that from someone who thinks anything from Swindon is anathema.

Theres an old saying about not looking at the mantlepiece when you are poking the fire...............

Shopping the Greenfield locos is proceeding apace...

Lees 26F used to have Super D locos on its strength until replaced by the Fowler 7F's in 1939. They were always a familiar sight on Standedge however working from Stockport and sheds to the east of the Pennines. This model has had its tender cab, rear steps and cabside sandbox fillers removed and has received the usual matt black and wafts of rust added. Lub oil ran down the inside of the 'H' spokes and so the outer face of the driving wheels tended to gather rail dust...

post-6680-0-77933200-1367595833.jpg

Patriots were quite common on the Liverpool turns. This was a renaming job plus the fitting of Gibson bogie wheels and painting splasher tops and vacuum ejector pipe green. My acrylic black wash used successfully on stonework and coaches was tried on this loco to tone down the lining and produce an oily-clean appearance. It took a lot of working in on the body. I removed the Bachmann lining on the running plate angle and re-lined it along its bottom edge. The valvespindle support was also modified to be of the pre-Stanier type....

post-6680-0-11913100-1366977951.jpg

Stanier 42551 was a Lees engine known as the 'Big Tank' as distinct from the sighly smaller Fairburn viarants at Lees. The model received Gibson bevel rim bogie wheels and front screw coupling. I never throw etchings away and a step etched for a Royal Scot was soldered up and re-shaped this morning to suit this loco. Usual weathering but not much.......

post-6680-0-61048400-1366969546.jpg

Lees's 2-6-4T's shared two weekday local passenger diagrams leaving one loco spare.

post-6680-0-99999500-1366969548.jpg

The LNE Thompson 2-6-4T's were not entirely stangers in Oldham, as they occasionally worked in from Guide Bridge, but my excuse is for working a none-push & pull Guide Bridge-Oldham extended as far as Greenfield several times a day. New Markits bogie wheels fitted, renumbered and slightly weathered....

post-6680-0-43340800-1366969197.jpg

Bachmann couplings have not been removed from the leading ends if locos will be involved in out-and-back passenger turns, shunting, trip working or double heading.

My ageing diaramma dating from 1993 and built from parts recovered from the defunct 'Platform Three' complex at Colwyn Bay station, is to be rebuilt. It has lasted well considering it was left out in overnight snow and in pouring rain on a couple of occasions. The rebuild will use salvaged SMP bullhead track this time.

post-7357-0-91690600-1366996789.jpg

For those not familiar with Greenfield's location and Larry;s dilemma with the backscene.

I thought you might like this black and white backscene from almost exactly 40 years ago.  Like Coach said, it was a bit treeless then.  Coach may also be able to spot the deliberate error in the picture.

attachicon.gif2242.jpg

I thought you might like this black and white backscene from almost exactly 40 years ago.  Like Coach said, it was a bit treeless then.  Coach may also be able to spot the deliberate error in the picture.

It has changed hasn't it? The steep bank between Oldham Road and Chapel Road has disappeared under a forest these days, and the slope of Wharmton, on the other side of the railway, has pretty well done the same.

Yes, don't I know it!  So many of the photograph angles I used to use are impossible now because of vegetation growth.  Saddleworth is certainly a much greener place than it used to be.

The trick on the photo above is that it's not two buses but the same bus, it is indeed two photos stitched together taken a short time apart.

BACKSCENES.......I am looking for a concensus on backscene height and would be most grateful for replies from members with layouts. 

The available printed backscenes are generally 15 inches high including sky. I can add 3 inches to this because the bottom part would be hidden by retaining walls and embankment, so do folk consider 18 inches high enough. Depth of my baseboard is 25 inches.

I have been looking at a id Backscenes Llanberis!

Cheers.

• RMweb Premium

BACKSCENES.......I am looking for a concensus on backscene height and would be most grateful for replies from members with layouts. 

The available printed backscenes are generally 15 inches high including sky. I can add 3 inches to this because the bottom part would be hidden by retaining walls and embankment, so do folk consider 18 inches high enough. Depth of my baseboard is 25 inches.

I have been looking at a id Backscenes Llanberis!

Cheers.

Larry 

i think 18" may be too low - depends on what you do with the shed wall behind it. Adding a grey/blue sky above it would help

barryo

Hi larry ,

The layout is looking great,

The short back scene section I have done on llanbourne is an ID back scene I ended up cutting the sky off and painted my own, you could leave yours nice and high and just stick the back scene along the lower part.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

My initial thoughts are to work out where the 'real' hill that I have to build will end and then glue the backscene above that so that it is as high up the board as possible. Problems arise at the station end due the road overbridge so I anticipate fun and games!

Edit to save space... Backscene ordered from New Modellers Shop. Brownhill ain't no mountain but Llanberis will have to do!

• RMweb Gold

Coach, Llanberis is not too dissimilar to Saddleworth Moor.

OK, you need to squint a bit but still... In keeping I would say.

The following views were taken about 3km due East of Greenfield Station.

(You would have to climb over Pots n Pans if you did take the direct route though!)

post-12815-0-23059400-1367604192_thumb.jpg

post-12815-0-07565700-1367604220_thumb.jpg

post-12815-0-60030100-1367604250_thumb.jpg

post-12815-0-93216100-1367604275_thumb.jpg

post-12815-0-38508300-1367604304_thumb.jpg

Kev.

A few weeks ago I discussed with friend PGH turning the layout around....Why? Well because right from the word go I had no idea how I was going to recreate the hill. Today showed me a great flat one-dimentional hill was just too overpowering. From the platform the real hill cannot be seen. From the road above it cannot be missed. From the valley bottom it maked the railway look puny! It cannot be made to work in model form unless one has enough space to model a chunk of it in 3-D.

The next move was to superimpose various backscenes onto the 'valley' side of the baseboard to see which was the most appropriate to purchase and then add the Micklehurst Loop viaduct. Chew Valley Road houses and Wellington Mill would have to be added, but it's a start...... And now I'm going to lie down in a darkenned room.... 

post-6680-0-90557900-1367607052.jpg

PS: Thanks for the pictured SHMD (Kev). I have only just seen them through starting my post tis afternoon then being called away.

Could you bring the layout away from the wall about a foot to be able to model part of the hill in sort of low relief and then have the backscene behind that ?

Archived