coachmann

Larry,

Talking of buses- I wonder what happened to the buses (that you built ?) an Oldham Crossley DD42 etc that were in Frank Roscoe's display cabinet. I remember seeing them (some years ago) after he moved from near Hill Stores to Moorside, but I've not been in the shop for a few years.

Not sure. Last time I saw him was when buying timber at his Hill Stores shop for restoring the SHMD bus in Greenfield. Someone told me Frank passed away some years ago. The Crossley DD42 would have been from an Anbrico kit....I painted the display model on the box lids and have still got 3 brandnew kits that Tony Colbeck sent me when this model was first cast. Frank R. also commisioned my locos with scratchbuilt bodies so I wonder if any are still around are nearly 50 years!

Have a look at Marc Smith's 'Cashmores' thread for some beautiful modelling of rainy conditions; coming from Wales, he's had plenty of opportunity to study the prototype..

I have never understood this common perception of rain in Wales. I've lived here for nearly 50 years after leaving the Manchester area where rain was common, and I can tell you we enjoy beautiful weather in this part of North Wales when other areas are having what was promised on the TV forecasts. :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Growing up in 'Sunny Rhyl', we were taught that Snowdonia created a rain shadow for the Vale of Clwyd, resulting in Rhyl having a higher than national average of sunshine per year, hence the 'Sunny' tag.

Blaenau, of course, is a little different.

Marc, being in South Wales, doesn't have the benefit of Snowdonia, so gets wet...

• RMweb Gold

Larry, this is really coming along and the way you use that grass sheet stuff when most of us fight shy of it as "toy" railway scenics. BTW I have nearly finished that LMS suburban but did not have enough transfers to number it, then noticed I had not put in the bottom hinges on half of the doors on one side! The holes are there (filled with paint) so I may have to superglue some brass rod in.

Not sure. Last time I saw him was when buying timber at his Hill Stores shop for restoring the SHMD bus in Greenfield. Someone told me Frank passed away some years ago. The Crossley DD42 would have been from an Anbrico kit....I painted the display model on the box lids and have still got 3 brandnew kits that Tony Colbeck sent me when this model was first cast. Frank R. also commisioned my locos with scratchbuilt bodies so I wonder if any are still around are nearly 50 years!

I have never understood this common perception of rain in Wales. I've lived here for nearly 50 years after leaving the Manchester area where rain was common, and I can tell you we enjoy beautiful weather in this part of North Wales when other areas are having what was promised on the TV forecasts. :sungum:

I spent the first 18 years of my life in LLanelli; the locals used to say 'If you can see the Gower, it's about to rain; if you can't see it, it's already started' . That said, the bit of Kent we live in now seems to be almost as bad; I'll be sowing the rice crop next week.

Good mornining Larry,

what an impressive photograph that is, which version are we on now? is it MK10 :-)

seriously tho, it looks the buisness, is that C+L trackwork?

great moselling

Peter

Hi Peter, Thanks very much. I may have mentioned it before, but it was your Wainthrop Bridge layout, published in the June 2006 BRM, that planted the idea in my mind that I need a layout!  Your work also led me to experiment with weathering buildings in attempts to emulate the northern industrial landscape. As for Greenfield, false starts and experiments are part of life's learning curve, but while something occupies my attention I give it my best shot.  Yes the track is C+L.

Hi

Very cool layout and some very inspirational elements. I will need time to read all the way through, but in the pages I have seen, I not only like your layout but the way that you take us through the process. Impressive. and some of the little features are so neat I find myself thinking how I could add these little details.

Will look forward to watching this one as it unfolds. Nice 1.

regards

Kal

• RMweb Gold

The buses are already running.... ;)

attachicon.gifWEB Greenfield station off footpath.jpg

Oldham Corporation Leyland PD2 on route 13 (clockwise via Waterhead and Uppermill) passes the station. (This batch of vehicles postdates the layout although some Met-Camm bodies of this design were delivered in 1954)....

Superb photo and modelling but wheres the pub opposite the station :stinker:

• RMweb Gold

I'm looking for the joins in the Wills' sheets, Larry, but I'm beggered if I can see any. How have you hidden them or have they started producing decent sized sheets at long last?

I'm looking for the joins in the Wills' sheets, Larry, but I'm beggered if I can see any. How have you hidden them or have they started producing decent sized sheets at long last?

The join is behind the drainpipe......Vee haff vays tha knows! :boast:

Nice Coach, I've been trying to find some window frames for my station building but all the commercial ones are either the wrong style or the wrong size. Will have to give this technique a try. What material is the glazing sheet?

Nice Coach, I've been trying to find some window frames for my station building but all the commercial ones are either the wrong style or the wrong size. Will have to give this technique a try. What material is the glazing sheet?

Bayer Sheet Europe :

www.bayersheeteurope.com

Available in various thicknesses. I used to use it for glazing carriages.

• RMweb Premium

Good grief Larry, you don't hang around do you, and what results! Totally different methods to the ones I have used, but I will be giving them a go.

I love the maroon / cream windows and frames. At some point, I nee to revisit the frame colours on most of my buildings but alas, it will be tiny brushes and a lot of swearing when I do it.

As an admirer of your buildings, I take this as a great compliment Sandside. Trying to get this building to fit into the top road and station path scheme resulted in much sawing and hacking of the scenery yesterday afternoon. The backscene is currently awaiting more sheets of ReadyGrass followed by much forest-ation to hide dodgy 3-dimentional and the 1-dimentional joints!

Beautiful work, Larry, but then I shouldn't be surprised based on the progress so far...:-)

You've convinced me to use Wills sheets on the next version of ET, so I read each of your posts with avid interest.  One question and I hope I'm not being nit picky.  One of the problems I had with Slaters sheets was stone alignment, particularly around corners of buildings and stone pillars.  I see you have some drift in the side walls when compared to the front walls.  Is that variation within the same sheet or have you used different sheets?  I'm guessing you have had to use several sheets on the side walls to achieve the height, so that may explain it.

I think your paint effects and weathered finished are up there with the best.  Super stuff....

• RMweb Gold

Some lovely work again, Coach. Gordon speaks of drift. Is this just perspective and the angle of the photo, as since you have used the concrete block sheets each course of blocks is identical? Good to hear that you are contemplating modelling again Gordon. When shall we see some work on ET?

You've convinced me to use Wills sheets on the next version of ET, so I read each of your posts with avid interest.  One question and I hope I'm not being nit picky.  One of the problems I had with Slaters sheets was stone alignment, particularly around corners of buildings and stone pillars.  I see you have some drift in the side walls when compared to the front walls.  Is that variation within the same sheet or have you used different sheets?  I'm guessing you have had to use several sheets on the side walls to achieve the height, so that may explain it.

Thanks Gordon. The drift was due to my doziness or a senior moment! I took care to match up the back and side walls when cutting out materials but then realised the construction of the real houses involved side walls being higher than the roof. So I remounted the side walls higher up and forgot to align the cement courses! Too late so I did a bit of jiggery-pockery on the front face by making the side walls appear to overlap the back wall.

• RMweb Gold

Larry,

Brilliant work and a huge great BIG thanks for sharing and taking the time to explain the “how” to us of, shall we say, of “lesser ability”.

In the your glorious post 818 you said, and I quote:-

As soon as the 'stone' surface was dry on the touch, I held the houses under the warm tap and washed the acrylic out of the mortar courses where of course it was still wet. I call it my "Lost-paint" method....

I have a simple(tons) question.

As I am all fingers and thumbs, (and have no wish to show it), how do you know when the 'stone' surface is dry without touching it and leaving finger prints in the paint?

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

I want to know how he fits the 10ft wall fixed to the shed under the tap !!

Didn't one member on here once use a jet washer to clean a model before painting with (lots) of primer?

Kev.

Archived