coachmann

• RMweb Premium

At first, I had visions of you wearing a fishtail parka, riding in on your Lambretta and giving us a kicking on Brighton front and then I realised that you didn't mean that kind of Mod :D

Hi Larry,

Glad to read you've made a decision on the track you'll be using, SMP seems to be a popular choice at the moment, with good reason. Don't listen to those that are trying to change your mind, I think you've gone for the best option.

You said that you won't have to touch the Up Main when you do the relaying - I've lost track of what's where, so which direction is Up?

• RMweb Gold

I hope this silly idea isn't too far off topic, but as the trakkies seem to be looking in, I thought I'd ask it here. Has anyone thought it worthwhile to retimber peco points/crossings, to more appropriate 00 spacing/dimensions? If the whole unit was secured (with hotmelt glue?) to a suitable flat surface, the base could be removed piecemeal, and replacements (copperclad?) installed. With suitable prior weakening, gentle curving could be introduced, and if wanted it should be possible to retain the tiebar mechanism.

I wonder if this could be a halfway house to avoid the need for point building. Whether it would be practical/cost effective is another matter, but it's something I'd like to try.

Thanks

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I imagine that it would be more hassle than just building turnouts from copperclad, which is nowhere near as difficult as people imagine it to be.

Sorry if this is a hijack, Larry, but from the evidence that Jason and Gordon have provided, I'd have to agree with this statement.

I know there is a thread on the forum related to re-sleepering "normal" PECO code 75. I'm not aware of one dealing with Peco turnouts being modified in this way.

Jeff

I might just take a Peco code 75 to pieces, just to see, but I bet it won't be simple to put back together.

Try a bit of a search first. It's been done before on here and, like you, I think most concluded that it was a waste of time and easier to build one from scratch. Once you have one in pieces, you'll want to replace most of it with something better, so why start from something so inherently wrong?

Nick

• RMweb Premium

I did it - I have quite a few left over from my previous layout. Conclusion? waste of time for a few reasons:

- Check rails are moulded

- Switch blades are split and hinged so you would need to make new ones the correct length

- Outside running rails could be usable but you would have to build the turnout to the same dimensions as the Peco one, and what would be the point (no pun intended)?

- Crossing Vee is held in place by the sleepers so you would need to solder it up (although it is pre-filed and angled, I suppose, once again to a set ration (1:6 maximum for Long ones?)

I suppose that if you wanted to build your own turnouts using FB rail then you could use Code 75 (or 100) as donor rail?

Pooco.jpg

I did it - I have quite a few left over from my previous layout. Conclusion? waste of time for a few reasons:

- Check rails are moulded

- Switch blades are split and hinged so you would need to make new ones the correct length

- Outside running rails could be usable but you would have to build the turnout to the same dimensions as the Peco one, and what would be the point (no pun intended)?

- Crossing Vee is held in place by the sleepers so you would need to solder it up (although it is pre-filed and angled, I suppose, once again to a set ration (1:6 maximum for Long ones?)

I suppose that if you wanted to build your own turnouts using FB rail then you could use Code 75 (or 100) as donor rail?

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv225/51CharlesStreet/Pooco.jpg

I am certain there is a thread on RMweb where someone re-sleepered a Peco point with copperclad sleepers, I think he took out a couple of sleepers at a time, but replaced them with 4mm wide strip and altered the sleeper spacing.

No reason why you can't rebuild the turnout, may need to replace some of the plastic parts with old rail and use plastic rail joiners for joining the switch rails

Slightly OT, I see Mrs Richelle Walsh has been given a OBE for services to the Rail Industry and to the community in Oldham. She is a Customer Services Assistant for Northern Rail at Greenfield station.

Perhaps coachman should get a knighthood for keeping the track manufacturing industry in business. ;-)

Xmas over, accounts done, New Year business projects in hand, and coach building has re-commenced. For relaxation, the new RMweb thumbnail headings, that I noticed this morning, have spurred me into revisiting Eastwood Town from the beginning and enjoying watching someone at work! There is no loss of interest in Greenfield on my part, it's just outdoors.....out of mind..... and in hybernation. :happy_mini:

• RMweb Premium

Morning Larry.

Hope Christmas went well! The Greenfield project may be in temporary hibernation, but when we all get going in the New Year, I'm sure you'll be roaring away again!

Best wishes,

Jeff

ps A new thread to keep an eye on: Dent Station by mike61680. This is going to be a cracker!!!

That is an absolutely cracking photo Larry.

Can I ask, what lighting do you use? I'm thinking of getting some daylight balanced photo lamps for my cellar.

I shoot in natural light as much as possible because it is far more even and predictable. The locos were shot against the light.

Hi Larry

Can't believe I've missed this thread for the past six months or so. Just spent the last hour or so catching up.

I admire your resolve to get things just the way you want although I've totally lost track of where you are at present regarding the track work.

Peco 75/83 pointwork - SMP/C&L track?

I did consider a mixture of C&L track and Peco code 75 turnouts for my next layout but after laying a few bits together as a test i didn't feel that the narrower/shorter sleepering of the Peco turnouts sat comfortably with the wider/longer C&L track. I think the SMP track is similar.

If you're still contemplating using Peco 75 turnouts have you considered spacing out Peco track as Andy Y has shown in his 'Improving Peco track' thread. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/23129-improving-peco-code-75/

I also hear (reported on these pages somewhere) that C&L are considering an OO gauge point kit (Exactoscale?) although no time scale as yet. I've heard that these (Exactoscale) kits are a doddle to put together and give more freedom for flowing trackwork. Something to consider for the future if OO is your thing and your not into building from scratch.

Hope these observations don't muddy the water for you and look forward to your next installment.

Ray.

Hope these observations don't muddy the water for you and look forward to your next installment.

Ray.

Not at all. I have altered the Peco points to give smaller six-foot track centres but they havent been laid as yet. I've also bought in Peco Code 75 track as well as a box of SMP track. Chiselling cork off the plywood baseboard some weeks ago did something to my chestbone (I had a triple heart bye pass in 2010 when the bone was sawn through), and it affects the layout in so far as this....I won't be doing any more chiselling! So the track that is simplest to lay will go down. Greenfield won't be touched until February. I have even had thoughts on 0 gauge, but please no bets....I'm joking!

• RMweb Gold

Good to see you posting Larry. There are a few of us who will find it difficult to wait until February before there are any further developments on Greenfield. I got a book on the Manchester Jubilees for Crimbo and there are a couple of shots of two going through Greenfield. One has the Oldham platform out of use, but the branch is still there and another just out of the station but I don't know in which direction.

Hi Larry,

Happy New Year and good modelling in 2013 - when you emerge from hibernation!!

Regarding the Manchester Jubilee book, on page 113 there's a photo of 45654, Hood, passing the Oldham junction, heading east, with the derelict branch platform in the background (including what looks like a water tank on top of a brick-built base) and the line towards Grotton just visible above the train. The signal box roof and some of the siding points are in the foreground. It's credited to Don Cash, dated 4 Aug 1962.

The other photo (page 119) is the same location but apparently taken from the Oldham bay platform. Again, an east-bound train with the photo looking wast. Not much detail visible. Also by Don Cash on the same day.

Cheers,

Dave.

Xmas over, accounts done, New Year business projects in hand, and coach building has re-commenced. For relaxation, the new RMweb thumbnail headings, that I noticed this morning, have spurred me into revisiting Eastwood Town from the beginning and enjoying watching someone at work! There is no loss of interest in Greenfield on my part, it's just outdoors.....out of mind..... and in hybernation. :happy_mini:

Good grief Larry, you really do deserve a medal!  Like you, I'm taking a break although in my case it's getting out in the fresh air and playing golf.  I certainly haven't scrapped ET, just taking a break after one major disaster and a few unreported minor ones.  I know only too well I will get up one morning and ET will be at the front of my mind and it will be all systems go again.  

That Jeffrey must be superhuman to maintain that level of work on one layout over such a period of time..... :biggrin_mini2:

Hi Larry,

Happy New Year and good modelling in 2013 - when you emerge from hibernation!!

Regarding the Manchester Jubilee book, on page 113 there's a photo of 45654, Hood, passing the Oldham junction, heading east, with the derelict branch platform in the background (including what looks like a water tank on top of a brick-built base) and the line towards Grotton just visible above the train. The signal box roof and some of the siding points are in the foreground. It's credited to Don Cash, dated 4 Aug 1962.

The other photo (page 119) is the same location but apparently taken from the Oldham bay platform. Again, an east-bound train with the photo looking wast. Not much detail visible. Also by Don Cash on the same day.

Cheers,

Dave.

Thanks for the info Dave, and a Happy New Year to you. Greenfield yard was still operational in 1962 wasn't it...? The last loco I saw in there was a 'Crab' around 1963-4 when I was working the No.13 from Uppermill. Is the book a good 'un?

Archived