Etched Plates on the new Castle

Hilux5972

• RMweb Premium

Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone has fitted etched Nameplates to the new Hornby Castles. If so, how did you do it? I went to do my Earl Cairns & discovered the Splasher front & nameplate are one brass piece. Did you just glue it over the top or manage to somehow cut the nameplate off? Any help would be fantastic.

Hilux

HI

The best way to put name plates on is with varnish,not super glue ,as super glue fumes can make the are white,not good.

You can use matt of gloss varnish for this ,i have never had one come off yet useing this method.

All the best

Darren

• RMweb Premium

I glued over the top as my splashers were very tight and did not want to move without considerable force. TBH once in place you would not notice they were glued on (I used epoxy). Same with the numbers, in fact doing it this way just gives them a hint of relief that I think looks more authentic.

• RMweb Gold

If you use the plates from Modelmaster they are thicker and hence won't buckle if you carefully cut around the name and don't use the distance piece.This way you keep the Hornby lining on the splasher too.If you use Fox/247 plates on the Castle the etch is alot thinner and will misform when cut around name.

See my recent 5049 done this way.

post-126-0-66010200-1341249879_thumb.jpg

Archived