Mk3 coach production

DapolDave

Several Executive liveried Mk 3 coaches are now listed as available on a well known South Yorkshire based retailers website.

These are listed as "InterCity Executive Mk3 Loco Hauled" coaches and have appropriate 11xxx and 12xxx running numbers, and buffers. However, the photos on the website show that they are branded "InterCity 125" rather then just "InterCity". The two open firsts appear to have the "1' first class branding applied in silver adjacent to the door, as per INTERCITY swallow livery, rather than as a black digit on the light grey lower half of the door, as was the case in Executive livery.

If these pictures do indeed show the finished product, rather than pre-production samples, then it seems that several disappointing errors have crept into the livery application of these models. Let's hope that there is better attention to detail with other forthcoming Mk3 coach releases.

Kind regards

Tom.

I can confirm that the loco hauled exec livery MK3's do indeed have Intercity 125 branding, just spoken to the model shop that orders items for me.

My order of 5 different coaches have been refused and the understanding proprietor is going to return them to Dapol.

As much as I enjoy repainting, weathering, detailing stock etc, I don't see why I should be correcting an error of this magnitude, especially at over £22 a coach.

Cheers,

Keith.

That is a shockingly poor error.

I love all that Dapol has done to move the hobby forward over the past few years and especially for giving an additional option for n gauge modellers but that is just not good enough

The old expression 'its not rocket science' springs to mind.

How difficult is it to get a photo of a given prototype and copy the details, especially such prominent ones as the main body side print.

Dapol QC on liveries has left a lot to be desired for years, for example the whole lot of BR lined green 4575s sold as NQP due to lining errors (leaving aside any mechanical faults), the wholly wrong lettering style on LMS Ivatts, lining of the Halls, and the constant churning out of maroon SR CCTs while never producing a crimson one.

this is crazy.  why list coaches as loco hauled yet have inter city 125 branding on them?  surely these should be being more suitably sold as RTR HST coaches?  is it left to the purchaser to "erase" the 125 bit and fit the supplied buffers?

They look to have buffers fitted from the pictures.

Cheers,

Alan

perfectly OK for HST lovers......

HSTs have buckeye couplers and no buffers, so the configuration of these coaches is not suitable for that scenario either (assuming you were overlooking the numbering of them).

Were there HST versions of this coach coming too? If so, I wonder if they've been printed with only the IC branding rather than the full IC125?

Cheers,

Alan

Rails will be returning all of their incorrect stock to Dapol now.

Ive not had a reply from Dapol yet but did send an additional message regarding the position of the "1" on the doors.

I suggest others interested in the finer details message Dapol too as I wouldnt purport to know every nuance of these vehicles in this particular livery.

Edited by ThaneofFife

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Dapol now aware of faultly application and as they say are looking into how it occured. My take as ever is that an old scheme plan has been resurected for the livery and modern corrected one ignored - To my eye the Intercity 125 sits to low as it did on the blue grey batch but this was corrected on later verisons.

I have found it easy to correct these faults but as you say most will be returned - I can see NQP fever!

Robert    

As Michael Winner would have said 'calm down dear'.

All said and done its a toy train coach, on which the painting is slightly wrong. It was a mistake, they have apparently owned up to. We all make mistakes - but no one died!!

I suspect many people will still buy them as for a lot of people they look roughly right. For others a discount NQP would be great to slightly modify the buffers, number or branding.

Ultimately worse things happen at sea

• Like 1

As Michael Winner would have said 'calm down dear'.

All said and done its a toy train coach, on which the painting is slightly wrong. It was a mistake, they have apparently owned up to. We all make mistakes - but no one died!!

I suspect many people will still buy them as for a lot of people they look roughly right. For others a discount NQP would be great to slightly modify the buffers, number or branding.

Ultimately worse things happen at sea

Tom - come on Tom you know youre a mile off here cos I dont see anybody here getting het up over this - the thread has simply alerted people to the problem and what is now being done about it. All this stuff about worse things at sea......you sound more put out over this than the rest of us    :)  

Its about giving people the heads up which in most corners is just accepted as well as appreciated.

I do agree with TomJ on this..and for coach numbers, does anyone actually look at or bother about them?

Yes some of us do, particularly if we are intersted in coaching stock. If it were a loco it would be seen as unacceptable, so there is no reason why it should not apply to coaches.

The inclusion of the door lock indicator and the wrong ventilators for Mk3a TSO/FO stock is a price for actually getting a model. There is no reason why the logo, number and font should not be correct.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Dead easy to change took just 30 minutes to t cut numbers off bodyside panel, legend on sides and replace with fox transfers.

did occur it would have been possible to create the intercity pullman legend to cover stripped area. did not change number but did think of putting an "M" in front.

Lovely model and any NQPs will go into a 252 set as this needs a full repaint and coaches had buffers if i recall.

Robert      

Yes, they did have buffers - but how will you do the power cars? No kits available and it would be tricky to scratch-build the front accurately.

Sounds like a job for 3D printing to me. But whoever would do it would have to be pretty good at 3D CAD with all those compound curves.

There is a difference between a compromise (e.g. Mk3/Mk3a roof) and an avoidable error, and this is definitely the latter. I know in the past with e.g. cl. 73s they've produced new body shells to correct livery errors (InterCity with light grey roof I think) and then sold the bodies as spares. Can't imagine it would be worth it with coaches (the assembly\disassembly being labour intensive relative to value). I would sincerely hope these get recalled from the general range, and sold at exhibitions etc as NQP, or retailers are offered a credit to sell them at a discount. Its fine to say its little work to correct them, but that should be reflected in the price! 

There is a difference between a compromise (e.g. Mk3/Mk3a roof) and an avoidable error, and this is definitely the latter. I know in the past with e.g. cl. 73s they've produced new body shells to correct livery errors (InterCity with light grey roof I think) and then sold the bodies as spares. Can't imagine it would be worth it with coaches (the assembly\disassembly being labour intensive relative to value). I would sincerely hope these get recalled from the general range, and sold at exhibitions etc as NQP, or retailers are offered a credit to sell them at a discount. Its fine to say its little work to correct them, but that should be reflected in the price! 

summed up nicely I think.