Mk3 coach production

DapolDave

ha... ive come up against a brick wall because you just cant access all the windows with the glazing in situ. to do a neat job its all got to come out. the glazing is in 4 separate pieces inside.  i removed one of the central sections and broke the overhead brace part.  those with the toilet windows - forget it. they aren t coming out but that unit needs to come out to tint the main window thats next to them.

you cant remove the seating or the glazing at least not without risk of breaking the glazing or the small pips onto which your roof clips around.  so break the pips off and your roof wont go back on correctly.  ive tried every which way on a cheap coach and its a non starter really.  the seating has to come out from above as the base is solid.  the seating is kept in place by the glazing but you try and remove any of the glazing,  its so fiddly and impossible without breaking something. clearly these werent designed with disassembly in mind.

such a shame...... project abandoned.  come on Dapol get the plastic changed !

Hmm. that seemed the case to me too - I've just tried getting glazing sections out by pulling the carriage side out and wedging an old train ticket in the gap between the side and the glazing, then attempting to do the other side. That didn't work though - cant make enough or a gap to do the same on the other side without using enough force that it'll probably break either the coach side or the glazing!

Still thinking  about whether to get the Scotrail set from C&M models, but if I do then the CO will have to make do with the first-class seating. No way is it worth the high chance of breaking it to get the seating out and cut it so that half can be replaced with a standard class layout!

Annoying! I remember reaching a similar impasse when trying to remove the glazing from a Dapol c.153 to try and remove the aluminium strip that is incorrectly printed on the glazing rather than on the moulding. I gave up for the same reason. It doesn't seem like there is any glue used in these designs, so if it went in, there must be a way for it to come out - right? 

Annoying! I remember reaching a similar impasse when trying to remove the glazing from a Dapol c.153 to try and remove the aluminium strip that is incorrectly printed on the glazing rather than on the moulding. I gave up for the same reason. It doesn't seem like there is any glue used in these designs, so if it went in, there must be a way for it to come out - right? 

I've got a 153, and they are constructed in a very similar manner to the Mk3s, apart from having a higher floor because of the motor.

ha... ive come up against a brick wall because you just cant access all the windows with the glazing in situ. to do a neat job its all got to come out. the glazing is in 4 separate pieces inside.  i removed one of the central sections and broke the overhead brace part.  those with the toilet windows - forget it. they aren t coming out but that unit needs to come out to tint the main window thats next to them.

you cant remove the seating or the glazing at least not without risk of breaking the glazing or the small pips onto which your roof clips around.  so break the pips off and your roof wont go back on correctly.  ive tried every which way on a cheap coach and its a non starter really.  the seating has to come out from above as the base is solid.  the seating is kept in place by the glazing but you try and remove any of the glazing,  its so fiddly and impossible without breaking something. clearly these werent designed with disassembly in mind.

such a shame...... project abandoned.  come on Dapol get the plastic changed !

i

How about a completely different aapproach? Use a continous strip of flexible tinted window film as used on the inside of car windows. this is readily available and one roll would be enough for all the membership of RM Web! I have used this in the past on coaches with clear sides to provide tinting and reduce light bleed.

Mike

What I might do is have another bash at the weekend using something much thinner than plasticard.

Perhaps try some stanley knife blades or similar as that may give a bit more room for the glazing to tuck back in from the bodysides but be just enough to slip up past the seat backs.

What I might do is have another bash at the weekend using something much thinner than plasticard.

Perhaps try some stanley knife blades or similar as that may give a bit more room for the glazing to tuck back in from the bodysides but be just enough to slip up past the seat backs.

I tried it with train tickets, and even that didn't work - once a ticket was wedged in one side it wasn't possible to separate the side and the glazing on the other side enough to get even the thickness of a ticket in without risking breaking something.

no the seating is held in by 4 clips on the chassis. the seat moulding is just like you find in a Lima Mk3.  it can be removed once the glazing and chassis are off leaving it sat in just the body.

ive thought about this a bit more.  I did manage to remove the glazing - it is not 4 or 5 pieces but one complete unit.  If you wish to remove it start at one end and work to the other end - dont start in the centre and try to work out or you will break something.

its good if you want to detail or paint inside the coach (ie paint the seating or partitions, vestibules in yellow, cream or red for the early buffets)  but if you just want to tint the windows my advice is tint on the outside.  a) its looks so much better and b) fitting tint film  on the inside goes well right up until the point you insert the glazing back into the body - its so tight the film gets scraped off in places rendering your work a waste of time.I

If you want to paint the seating moulds then you need to desolder the 2 wires for the lights and slip the moulding off the wires. Easy enough.

dapolmk3003_zpsd125a653.jpg

Here is one coach complete on both sides.......a big difference.  I plan to paint the vestibules in bright signal yellow on my new blue/grey and early executive Mk3s.

dapolmk3014_zpse9136d04.jpg

• Like 1

The floor is solid, so it can't be removed that way. I'd be inclined to cut the cross bars, thus allowing you to remove the glazing in a strip for each side. With the glazing removed from the bodyshell. Whilst the glazing is removed, you can tidy up where the cross bars join the side strips, removing them neatly and leaving the roof securing pips in place. Be careful, but the plastic is quite soft so it doesn't tend to crack like that in other companies models or plastic kits. Re attach the glazing with a clear plastic friendly glue or varnish.

Tread carefully, but this approach has worked on my resprayed mk3s

jo

Hi,

Does anyone know already if the 2P-005-010 MK3 Buffet E40352 HST has been produced as "Unclassified" - ie no !st class markings?

Thanks

es grüßt

PC

I think that will be the least of the issues with this model - having the incorrect number of windows is a bit more noticable! 

I can live with a RFM body being used for TRUK and TRSB models but a TRUB/TRFB is a bit far. It would have been much better to do the B/G eastern version as a TRSB/TRUk pair, as use in sets 1 to 20 

Very nicely finished overall for N gauge, however the widths of the red/white stripes are questionable, the red stripe should be wider/deeper than the white stripe, the opposite to what's on the coach.

Youre quite correct but I for one wont be getting the red/white stripe transfers or airbrush out to try and rectify that !

I think that will be the least of the issues with this model - having the incorrect number of windows is a bit more noticable! 

I can live with a RFM body being used for TRUK and TRSB models but a TRUB/TRFB is a bit far. It would have been much better to do the B/G eastern version as a TRSB/TRUk pair, as use in sets 1 to 20 

Hi,

The version of the HST I wish to run (see an earlier post from me with a link to the photo of the example) has 2x four windowed catering cars. I will be able to live with incorrect non-seating bay windows. My question was only referring to the livery variation, There have not been any photos anywhere that I have been able to find. 

The intention of my post was not to re-open the discussion about whether Dapol had made the "correct" decision - please note inverted commas surrounding the word correct. Dapol were always going to be under fire no matter which version they decided on.

Looking "outside the box" and reading comments from other threads as to what is modelling or not, I expect the dedicated modeller could, if required, probably use the Measurement Train etchings from PHD Designs on a FO or SO and model all types of catering vehicles (s)he wishes to.

I was thinking of that type of project for my blue/grey WCML loco hauled version. Just need to track down decent photos

es grüßt

PC

Hi All,

I'm looking to put together a loco-hauled IC Swallow Mk3 rake, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer as to whether or not we'll be getting a loco-hauled IC Swallow buffet (or if so, when).

Hattons have it listed for pre-order as 2P-005-211, but if I'm going to chuck the best part of £250 into putting together a train I want to be sure I'll be able to get everything I need. I have the DVT for now, but I'm now reluctant to buy any more bits for this rake since discovering that there's no buffet available.

Any advice (or insider knowledge) would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

JB

Hi All,

I'm looking to put together a loco-hauled IC Swallow Mk3 rake, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer as to whether or not we'll be getting a loco-hauled IC Swallow buffet (or if so, when).

Hattons have it listed for pre-order as 2P-005-211, but if I'm going to chuck the best part of £250 into putting together a train I want to be sure I'll be able to get everything I need. I have the DVT for now, but I'm now reluctant to buy any more bits for this rake since discovering that there's no buffet available.

Any advice (or insider knowledge) would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

JB

Definitive answer is a good one, :-)

On the Dapol website, under Launches\Product Development\NGauge\MK3 Coaches the item number is listed as "Expected Feb2014" so at least the intention is there.

Joel sometimes replies to questions on the Dapol F***b**k page, maybe if you post a question there you may strike lucky,

es grüßt

PC

Not yet! Executive version Intercity was one of the liveries that really sat around for ages unsold with the last generation of Chinese made Poole designed Mk1s, but did include the BG on B4 bogies. I imagine at least part of the reason they sat around was the fact they were amongst the last releases of the old moulding, and many people knew the replacements were coming. Nonetheless, I suspect Bachmann's inherently conservative attitude to passenger liveries will mean that IC Executive, along with Regional Railways blue\grey and Network Southeast  are parked on the "not again" list. At least not any time soon. 

Thanks, I suppose the official website would have been a good place to check! :blush: In that case I think I'll wait until the month is out to see if it turns up before ordering my set.

I must say in all fairness though that I'm very impressed with the Dapol Mk3 stock I've purchased so far (a HST set, a HST buffet and a DVT). The loco-hauled Intercity 125 stock had me stumped though... Can anyone confirm this livery was applied to L/H stock?

JB

Definitive answer is a good one, :-)

On the Dapol website, under Launches\Product Development\NGauge\MK3 Coaches the item number is listed as "Expected Feb2014" so at least the intention is there.

Joel sometimes replies to questions on the Dapol F***b**k page, maybe if you post a question there you may strike lucky,

es grüßt

PC

The loco-hauled Intercity 125 stock had me stumped though... Can anyone confirm this livery was applied to L/H stock?

It's a mistake - the loco-hauled stock just said InterCity on it. Rails are selling those Mk3s off cheap, and many other retailers (such as Hattons) pulled them shortly after they were released - presumably they returned them to Dapol.