Mk3 coach production

DapolDave

Anyone know if the grey and beige match the swallow livery? I'd happily take a load of cheap ones if it's just a transfer job!

yeah pretty sure the base colours are the same certainly the lower beige/stone but with the greys you can never be 100% - i do think they both carried dark executive grey.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Looks like Hattons and I guess other suppliers have got some Intercity Swallow Loco Hauled Mk3s in, priced at £19.

• 2P-005-221 - 1st Class #11065
  • 2P-005-222 - 1st Class #11073
  • 2P-005-231 - 2nd Class #12004
  • 2P-005-232 - 2nd Class #12019
  • 2P-005-233 - 2nd Class #12037

Cheers, Mark.

• 3 weeks later...

Basically the TGS is I design but as we didn't put slides into the tooling it, like the buffet is a whole new body shell.

I envision (knowing what the production schedule should be) that we will see them around Feb 2013

Oh and for those who havnt twigged yet on here and other forums we are doing a blue/grey HST set again as an eastern region 254, and extra mk3 coaches in ALL liveries.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

Hallo,

If all goes well I will finally be able to build my 1st generation ECML HST in 2014 - must say I am looking forward to that.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/429-scottish-region-photos-1980s/page-14 post 349 uppermost photo

Post 29 of this thread quoted the above from Mr D Jones. To any current Dapol employee with the correct level of authority and who reads this thread: Feb 2013 is behind us. Will the TGS surface 2014 (truth please!)? If not in which year?

Thank you

Frohe Weihnachten

es gruesst

PC

We've not even had a blue grey buffet which is again later than expected, might arrive in January.

Seems to me that the buffets missed their original slot (when they all got returned due to inaccuracies) and now they must be getting done as and when the manufacturer can slot some in.

Other than DapolDave in 2012, has there been any official word from Dapol that there will be a TGS?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dapol home page lists a batch of Mk3s LHCS  buffet , 2 firsts and 3 seconds in VT  then a selection HST VT and FGW stock including buffets , still blue grey to come ...

Robert

Yes saw this from the link on Dapol's Facebook page.

Great news for my smaller scale 'reserve collection'.

• RMweb Gold
Hi The CDL locks added after contract issued June 1993 , first fitted vehicles were 42005/16/17 by ABB , first trains fitted were IC GW in Spring 1994.
The project finished 1995 on HSTs loco hauled followed 

And all because of persons opening doors and using external handles at speed !

blue grey CDL only right for Cargo D stock ! no orange "lamps"  printed on blue buffets I have seen 
Robert   
  • Like 1

blue grey CDL only right for Cargo D stock ! no orange "lamps"  printed on blue buffets I have seen  

So far as I am aware, the only RFMs (102xx) which have ever carried blue and grey are the Cargo-D / DB ones. I believe that when converted from various other types of carriage they were painted in swallow livery (or possibly some Executive?)

Which numbers are Dapol doing? There are relatively few which would be suitable (and they should have CDL lights).

Reason i asked was that Rails of Sheffield are now discounting the exec liv Mk3s with buffers for £12 each due to the branding error which to me sounds like a really good deal if i can easily tweak them to just "Inter-City" for loco haulage (so need to lift the "125" numbers) and remove the CDL lights as I would model circa 1985.  also on the 1st class coaches the 1 should be on the doors - presumably these can be purchased from Fox?

just unsure how well the printed letters and numbers are fixed.  has anybody tried to lift Dapol printing with the sticky side of cellotape?  Im not overly concerned about the smaller coach numbers being correct or not.

is it worth giving them a miss and just paying more for the correct type to come along or is it rather straight forward to tweak them and thus grab a bargain.  I can get a full rake of 3 x FOs and 5 x SOs for less than £100 :)

I suspect too that it will be some time now before another batch of "correct" exec mk3s for loco haulage come along pre-swallow.........you cant even pre-order any.  i guess its because the slot for production has long gone now. 

What would you do?  Is the glossy patch under the "125" going to be unavoidable and I presume the CDL mouldings will appear on every single Dapol Mk3 so that would need to be physically trimmed off and painted over, yes?

Edited by ThaneofFife

is it worth giving them a miss and just paying more for the correct type to come along or is it rather straight forward to tweak them and thus grab a bargain.  I can get a full rake of 3 x FOs and 5 x SOs for less than £100 :)

I suspect too that it will be some time now before another batch of "correct" exec mk3s for loco haulage come along pre-swallow.........you cant even pre-order any.  i guess its because the slot for production has long gone now. 

I have always regretted not buying up some MKIII blue/grey loco hauled coaches when Hattons couldn't get rid and was selling them at £11 a go. I wanted a rake for a push pull set and now even C&M are only doing the Scotrail livery on the special order.

• RMweb Gold

Hi To say removing numbers/ logos etc easy with t cut and a cotton bud, you will get a shinny body where image removed. Not a problem for the intercity 125 legend but on the "1" on the bodyside will need a touch over matt varnish . a fine blade will remove CDL moulding with out damage - if worried put  an amount of masking tape around moulding to prevent damage - and then a dot of paint to cover.

I would renew entire Intercity legend to the correct place shuch that it starts under lefthand edge of first picture window and up the side so more on vertical rather than tumblehome.  These and the "1" available from fox, Blackham and I guess Railtec have or can do some.

Railtec certainly do a matching red stripe as the proportions on the stripes is the wrongway round. For the foreseeable future will be - to ensure current modellers can make identical looking sets, perhaps in future some changes might see a "correction" - we are only talking about a 1mm change!

Go for the bargain to try out some modelling skills . Mine may end up under Yellow peril  no 2! or the prototype 252 set       

have fun!

Robert   

Hi all,

I had a large list sent to me of the upcomming products due soon, amongst the 22 different MK3's listed is this:

2P-005-111 MK 3 INTERCITY 125 EXCUTIVE BUFFET # 10258 loco hauled

I do hope the 125 is a typo on the list, I have asked on the Dapol FB page, will post their reply when I receive it.

Cheers, Keith.

We've not even had a blue grey buffet which is again later than expected, might arrive in January.

Seems to me that the buffets missed their original slot (when they all got returned due to inaccuracies) and now they must be getting done as and when the manufacturer can slot some in.

Other than DapolDave in 2012, has there been any official word from Dapol that there will be a TGS?

Regarding TGS here a Facebook post (within quotation marks) from whoever is repsonsible for the content

"we are conscious of the importance of the TGS for the completion of the train and will be working on these in the coming months with an aim to get them out in 2014."

I'm sure there will be large sighs of relief. I will believe it when they're on stock at the retailers

es grüßt

PC

I received my order of two "2P-005-410 #40434 N Gauge MK3 Coach Virgin Buffet No Buffers" from Merseyside a couple of days ago. I'm not an expert on MK3 coaches but something didn't look right about the roof vents so I started Googling.

The model is finished as if it were a TRFB with all the first class identification; however the number 40434 shows as being a TRSB which, from what I can ascertain, is what the moulding represents as far as the body sides go. I think the roof vents are those of a RFM?

Is this correct and if so what is the best method to remove the first class idents without disturbing the livery underneath?

The roof vents are a more obvious, albeit destructive fix!

Cheers,

Mark