Hornby T9

St. Simon

Hi Guys,

I have a dilema, having gone thourgh Hattons flat out for two days looking for a present for Christmas, I have narrowed down my choices to two things; A Hornby T9 in BR Black or a Hornby Schools in BR Black.

Only thing deciding which one is haulage power. I know that a Hornby Schools can haul 20 coaches with ease (from the Model Rail review), but in the absence of the Model Rail review of the T9, I do not know what it can haul.

So the question is How much can a Hornby T9 Haul?

Think quick!

Simon

Hi Guys,

I have a dilema, having gone thourgh Hattons flat out for two days looking for a present for Christmas, I have narrowed down my choices to two things; A Hornby T9 in BR Black or a Hornby Schools in BR Black.

Only thing deciding which one is haulage power. I know that a Hornby Schools can haul 20 coaches with ease (from the Model Rail review), but in the absence of the Model Rail review of the T9, I do not know what it can haul.

Think quick!

Simon

My T9 hauls 5 x Maunsell coaches and 1 x Maunsell Passenger Brake coach without problem. I added a little bit of weight into the boiler and there is a solution for haulage problems somewhere on here to do with the leading wheels. The T9 is a lovely looking loco but there may be a requirement to do a bit of modelling with it to improve haulage and I don't think it will haul as large a train as most locos.

My T9 hauls 5 x Maunsell coaches and 1 x Maunsell Passenger Brake coach without problem. I added a little bit of weight into the boiler and there is a solution for haulage problems somewhere on here to do with the leading wheels. The T9 is a lovely looking loco but there may be a requirement to do a bit of modelling with it to improve haulage and I don't think it will haul as large a train as most locos.

Hi,

Well, it would need to be able to haul at least a 5 car rake, but idley I would like it to be able to haul a maximum of an 8 car rake

Simon

Hi,

Well, it would need to be able to haul at least a 5 car rake, but idley I would like it to be able to haul a maximum of an 8 car rake

Simon

Remembering the reviews when released and from my own experience, 8 coaches is not a definite, unless you are willing to do some minor modifications. It is a lovely loco though and only 1 of 2 steam engines that runs on my 1980s/90s layout (I also want an M7 and can't believe I missed out when Stockton Modeller were selling them for a bargain ??46.38)

Hi Guys,

Think quick!

Simon

Simon

my advice is to buy whichever you prefer regardless of traction power. Some of the T9 models have suffered from a balance problem where the little sleeve that hold on the front bogie is set too high and rubs against the floor of the body

of the locomotive. This has the effect of slightly raising the front set of driving wheels which are the ones with the traction tires. You'll find a host of information on the forum on two ways to easily fix this problem IF the model you buy is one of the

relatively few affected. I have 3 T9's and only one needed any fettling in this department. Now all three will easily haul 6+ maunsell coaches. The Schools is also a super model, bigger and weightier than the T9 and also fitted with

traction tires on the front drivers. Hence my advice - buy your preference, either will easily haul a good length train when properly "fettled"

HTH

Norm

• Informative/Useful 1

If you want the honest opinion we have had 2 schools, and 3 T9's and had problems with both the 2 schools and 1 of the T9's

If you want me to go into a bit more depth, The schools both have had "limping/hesitation problem" this being the br black version and the latest 903 in southern maunsell green, By this I mean once placed on the track once a full rotation the rear driving wheel on one side lifts up, if you run it down at slow speed it hesitates to turn and sometimes becomes jammed, after some serious running (50+ circuits of a 100ft roundy roundy with various gradients) they have gradually worn in, however this problem is still apparent. They do however have good hauling power.

The T9, without going into all the details about getting the tender frames on the wrong way round and all the other issues, as said above we have had three, one of them, which has the 6 wheel tender has absolutely **** pulling power, and struggles to pull more than 3 coaches, however the other 2 can pull a 9 coach train with ease up various gradients. This product was then sent back to Hornby, on the return of the product we were told it had been oiled and fixed, we removed the loco from the box and placed it on the track, once power was applied the same problem became apparent still, also the person from Hornby's customer care who had supposedly fixed it had managed to damage all three lamp irons on the front of the footplate and loose all the detailing packs, the tender frames were also not fixed however the replacement ones for us to fit were provided.

We have also had problems with a Hornby britannia, and a few other locos this year however I won't go into this, overall it has been a very disappointing year from Hornby for us, as altogether we have a good 30+ locos from them.

At the end of the day if you get a decent one, there both as powerful as each other as they both have very similar chassis's

Hi Simon,

I have 2 Schools, 1 Black & 1 Green and one T9 (NRM SR 120). The Schools could pull a truck, well maybe a large toy one. I like the detail and lining on the black Schools the best.

As already mentioned, there is a problem with the early T9's in regards to haulage power. This is due to the front screw pip/retainer being too long and pushing down the front bogie and thus raising the front driving wheel which has the traction tyres. I took the chassis out of the body (3 screws - 1 front & 2 back) and filed the pip/retainer down no more than 1mm with a nail file. This has worked a treat. The T9 pulled 7 coaches very easily and could possibly pull a few more.

hope this helps

have a merry Christmas every one too.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Ok, so in the interests of science, I have just been out to my freezing railway barn (admittedly there is a lot of thawing going on, but the barn has no heat and it's been minus several degrees every day recently) and tested my Hornby T9 #312, widecab with 6-wheel tender, as in the 1938 Suburban pack. I have not done any work on the loco, and only modified the tender in terms of reversing the underframe. I attached 11 Hornby Maunsells and 2 Vans C - and it walked away, despite the fact that nearly half the train was around a 36" radius curve.

Santa is bringing wartime-black #314 - we'll see if that can do as well.

Ah, an excellent choice. :D

Yes I agree, excellent choice Simon. Being one of this years releases all the problems should have been ironed out. The injector pipes are on the right way round and

being the 8 wheel tender there are no reversed tender frames to deal with! When you get it out of the box and before you attach the tender, put the loco on a piece of glass

and push down very lightly on the chimney. If the REAR driving wheel will raise about 1 mm you should not have any of the problems with haulage caused by the front

bogie pushing the traction tyres slightly off the track. If it will not pass this test do as others have documented and VERY VERY lightly file the little collar securing the bogie to

the chassis (OR drill a hole right above it in the footplate - your aim is is stop the bogie securing pivot rubbing against the footplate) If you adopt the filing solution its best to

lightly grip the collar itself - a millimeter below the top - with a small pair of modelling pliers or tweezers as some have reported breaking it by the filing motion. Then file

down onto the pliers. I do not mean to alarm you here. Being this years model it is unlikely you will experience this problem at all, but if you do, 15 minutes careful work will solve any issues

The only other thing I've had to lightly adjust on mine are some of the phosphor bronze pickups. They are present on all wheels except the front drivers, so if

properly adjusted you will not get any stalling over difficult pointwork. A small pair of tweezers is the tool of choice here

Enjoy ;) They are superbly detailed models

Norm

Hi,

I chose that model because:

1.) The Water cart tender would mean I wouldn't have to reverse the frames

2.) Seen as it's one of this years releases, then there would be no problems because they should have been solved by now!

3.) I like the extra coupling rod splasher and look of the of extra lining that comes with it!

When I open it on Christmas day, I take it and see how much it hauls and report back hear!

Simon

Hi,

Right the T9 arrived yesterday, so here's my report:

It can haul my Southern 7-car rake, but it slips when starting off. But it can haul my Southern 5 car rake with easy, so I'm happy. It's also a little noisy, but a little running in on the club layout will sort that out!

Simon

• 9 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, barrymx5 said:

Is this the best place to discuss chassis rot of the T9 or is there another thread? It is now 10 years since the last post!

Admin?

If it's the motor mount casting, you can fix it in less time than it takes to grouse about it.

I just chucked the affected part, stuck a bit of 40 thou plastic to the chassis and superglued the motor to that.

John

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Thanks John. A fellow model railway club member has fixed our club T9 with the motor mounting casting purchased from Peters Spares and a new motor end mounting ( Hornby part)

But I now find that 2 of my 4 T9s have a similar fault. Although I purchased 2 of the motor mounting castings it still appears to need the end bracket, which are sold out at Peters Spares. When I contacted Hornby they have offered to repair both locos. This is very welcome and I was proposing to share on RMWEB but was unable to find an appropriate thread to discover whether it was old news. 

I am about to despatch to Hornby. The LSWR T9 is shown here with broken parts in blue tray. 

95D8BEDF-8A17-45A6-B934-2304488E22BF.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

In line with what John says, if you're prepared to glue the motor in place you don't need the end bracket. I used a Peter's spares replacement casting then lightly glued the motor to that. If I needed to get the motor out again, I could break the glued bond without too much trouble.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
On ‎13‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 15:59, Barry Ten said:

In line with what John says, if you're prepared to glue the motor in place you don't need the end bracket. I used a Peter's spares replacement casting then lightly glued the motor to that. If I needed to get the motor out again, I could break the glued bond without too much trouble.

Probably the better solution, my way does reduce the weight available for adhesion somewhat. I resorted to it despite having one of the Peter's Spares castings, which I have unfortunately put "somewhere safe". :jester: Either way, getting rid of the end bracket seems to simplify matters considerably. 

The loco I did belongs to a friend and never needs to haul more than a 3-set + van so that wasn't an issue.

Hopefully, the part will come to light before one of my own T9s bites the dust.

John

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1