Carlisle to Swindon milk tanks workings

• RMweb Gold

Hi all

There's a cracking photo of a 40 on milk tanks on the MIAC site - scroll down on http://www.miac.org.uk/class40.htm

But what working was this? Was late in the day for milk workings - and why Swindon?

Heres hoping

Cheers

Phil

Guest 838rapid

I wonder were they going for breaking up??

Possibility as you say its late in the day for them to be working as such

• RMweb Gold

Thanks chaps - have already had that suggested and cant be dismissed - but look at the springs - very straight - so ? laden

And also ran on more than one occasion - anyone got a wtt for this period please?

Phil

Guest 838rapid

My only other thoughts are to do with the St Ivel youghart factory at Wootten Bassett,was the milk roaded from Swindon to there.

There used to be a lead from just before W.B Junction,Had this been removed at this time??

i lived in Swindon then but would have been 7 so aint got the knowledge of that time..

Not sure how relevant this is but I have recently seen a photogeaph of a class 85 on some milk tanks. Wonder if this was a electrically hauled so far ?

Unfortunately, can't recall the origin of the photo.

On the more general issue of class 40s on milk trains - certainly the period from 1966 to at least 1969 saw EE type 4s working these trains, although I recognise this doesn't directly appertain to the OP

Here is a snapshot week of work for a Bescot secondman in December 1967

D1693 D204 3V36 Wolves-Banbury, 5M63 Banbury-BS loco to TMD

D844 D1686 3V36 Wolves-Banbury, 5M63 Banbury-BS

D1717 D1721 3V36 Wolves-Banbury, 5M63 Banbury-BS

D839 D233 3V36 Wolves-Banbury, 5M63 Banbury-BS

D309 D383 3V36 Wolves-Banbury, 1M60 Banbury-Leamington, L/D BS

3V36 was the Shewsbury-Kensington milk loads which ran via Wolverhampton High Level, New St, attached at Exchange sidings, then attached at Coventry, before running back onto the "traditional" route at Leamington. also don't forget that 5M63 was a freight back then rather than an ECS !!!

• RMweb Gold

There was a regular Carlisle - Swindon milk train in the mid/late 1970s which used to run via Tyseley. I remember that during the 1976 heatwave we nicknamed it 'The Yogurt', as the contents would probably have gone off before reaching its destination.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks chaps - have already had that suggested and cant be dismissed - but look at the springs - very straight - so ? laden

And also ran on more than one occasion - anyone got a wtt for this period please?

Phil

IIRC the one which ran via Tyseley was not in the WTT. It usually came out as an STN on a separate sheet showing the weekly programme.

I do remember being a secondman on the Swindon-Carlisle milk as it had a 25 on it and the Didcot crew did not sign these but we still went on it so giving me my first job in a 25. I suspect it was a midland crew working through as they did by putting these exotic locos on trains

Hi, been up the loft for a look at WTT,s .Found 6V34(1977/78)6v29(1979) 0705 Carlisle- Swindon Milk EMPTIES, routed via Stourbridge Jct. pass 1445. Nothing before 1977. No sign of loaded northbound service though! cheers Andy.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, been up the loft for a look at WTT,s .Found 6V34(1977/78)6v29(1979) 0705 Carlisle- Swindon Milk EMPTIES, routed via Stourbridge Jct. pass 1445. Nothing before 1977. No sign of loaded northbound service though! cheers Andy.

Is there any northbound service at all Andy? I still wonder if this was anything to do with taking the Miltas to Swindon for assessment and forming into the reserve fleet/scrapping depending on what was found?

Is there any northbound service at all Andy? I still wonder if this was anything to do with taking the Miltas to Swindon for assessment and forming into the reserve fleet/scrapping depending on what was found?

Hi, I wouldnt have thought so, the train ran daily including saturdays, thats an awful lot of milk tanks! I will throw a theory here that after arriving at Swindon they were then attached to the daily returning London- West of England milk empties? As for northbound loaded there is nothing listed from Gloucester north and I dont have the relevent WTT for routing via Didcot/ Leamington route. I have seen photos in a couple of books of milk tanks formed in Severn Tunnel Jct- Crewe/Carlisle/Mossend mixed freights, possibly tripped from the West country to STJ for onward transit? cheers Andy,

I lived right next to the railway line just South of Tuffley Junction and I can remember this train. It used to go past my house around 16.00, just as I got in from school, and on several occasions a Class 40 worked through to Swindon, on most occasions though the loco changed at Gloucester. When the train didn't run its path was used to convey locos going to Swindon Works for cutting. I can remember trains of Class 24's and 25's going past, I'd rush home to see it.

When the 50's came to the W.R. they started using them on 1V90 from Gloucester, leaving at 16.20 (I think it went to Gloucester on 1M22) so in 78/79 I could bags loads of 'cops' from my back garden.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again all

There's enough evidence here to ditch the scrappers theory I think - going back to OP the cows in Cumbria had worked overtime and that looks like a load that would have taxed a 25 - about 20 loaded tanks, whats that gross? 5 - 600 tons?

Must have sounded nice on jointed track too.......

Cheers

Phil

There's enough evidence here to ditch the scrappers theory I think - going back to OP the cows in Cumbria had worked overtime and that looks like a load that would have taxed a 25 - about 20 loaded tanks, whats that gross? 5 - 600 tons?

But andymozza's reply indicates that these were empties. I am inclined to agree as everything I have read suggests that the only milk flows left at this date were from south wales and the west country. Cumbria's milk no longer travelled by rail by that date as far as I know.

So if they are empties, that gives 2 questions. Why were they going to Swindon? And what had they been doing at Carlisle in the first place?

• RMweb Gold

I have a "homemade" WTT for Bristol workings, 1978/9 which includes some milk workings, I think from South Wales.

I will dig it out next week when back in Devon, and post here.

I'm generally very interested in these later milk workings, and wondering when these tanks finally bit the dust.

Neil

I'm generally very interested in these later milk workings, and wondering when these tanks finally bit the dust.

I believe it was circa 1980 that milk trains finally finished. However a small fleet were refurbished and kept in reserve for emergency use. Many others were converted for departmental use and hauling a variety of other liquids.

The photo that triggered this discussion is pretty much at the twighlight of this traffic. If anyone can give a more precise date I would be interested to hear it.

• RMweb Gold

I believe it was circa 1980 that milk trains finally finished. However a small fleet were refurbished and kept in reserve for emergency use. Many others were converted for departmental use and hauling a variety of other liquids.

The photo that triggered this discussion is pretty much at the twighlight of this traffic. If anyone can give a more precise date I would be interested to hear it.

Photo is dated 7th June 1979

Phil

Archived