Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

So, what's the matter with small 0-6-0s and the grubby three plank dropside wagon that I've spent the last few weeks making?

Something had to earn the money!

(I would say dividends, but I'm an LNER modeller not a shareholder!)

(Please excuse posting on this thread.)

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 1

... .

What a time to have lived! (If one tries to forget there was a World War around the corner!)

I was born in the early/mid-thirties;  pre-war we lived near to East Finchey U'gd. station,  where - memory suggests - there used to be an L&NER. goods'/marshalling yard.

Sometime in my early life I contracted Double Pneumonia wch. - in those far-off days - necessitated daily visits from our GP. - Dr. Knightley-Smith, who had his own model railway in his garden!  I used to look-forward to his visits because before starting any examinations he used to sit-down at the bedside and draw L&NER. express locos. for me, (presumably A1s.?),.

But I must confess that despite that intro. to the L&NER. my allegiance was given to the Copper & Brass/Chocolate & Cream from farther West - possibly as returning from Truro to Padd'n. the train used to stop at Exeter and once I bought a couple of those booklets issued by the GWR. publicity dep't. - wch. couldn't have been all that expensive as I, an impecunious schoolboy was able to afford them;  and the rest, as is said,  is history!  :fan:  

Ah. those were the days - long before 'The days of Wine & Roses.' - ha!

• Like 2

Morning all!

An enjoyable operating session yesterday at 'Grantham'. I didn't do as much operating as I could have,  :nono:....however I think Sir can forgive me as I was filming quite a bit of footage.

Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/f8PmlZaebSA

• Like 19

Morning all!

An enjoyable operating session yesterday at 'Grantham'. I didn't do as much operating as I could have,  :nono:....however I think Sir can forgive me as I was filming quite a bit of footage.

Enjoy!

Good Morning Tom

Many thanks for putting the video on the thread I thoroughly enjoyed watching it.

I was amazed how this layout has come on and your video gives the perspective to see just how much hard work had gone into producing a very nice layout of Grantham station and the surrounding areas and the guys who built it deserve a lot of credit.

Dare I say I still prefer to see LNER Pacifics modelled in Brunswick Green because that is how I remember seeing them,  but to see those model locomotives ahead of Teak coaches I must say they do look stunning.

Regards

David 

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 1

Morning all!

Enjoy!

Like like like like like like like!!' Bloody love this!! Thanks for posting! Back off to watch it again!

• Like 1

Magnificent video of my favourite layout.  The opening panorama of the north end gave me goose bumps, and the V2 rock n rolling through the station followed by a fast pan into the tunnel was sublime.

Very much looking forward to seeing the full Grantham in the future.  I shall be hanging over the barriers for hours.

• Like 1

Magnificent video of my favourite layout.  The opening panorama of the north end gave me goose bumps, and the V2 rock n rolling through the station followed by a fast pan into the tunnel was sublime.

Very much looking forward to seeing the full Grantham in the future.  I shall be hanging over the barriers for hours.

Thanks! I'm glad to footage has been appreciated. The shot of the V2 was 'robert's idea, and does look good. The weaving from side to side seems quite prototypical.

Thanks again LNER4479. Really enjoyed yesterday, and gave me the boost I needed! :)

• Like 1

Just rewatching the video again, and the one thing that really stands out to me, is Jonathan's excellent parcel train. I didn't really appreciate it fully when viewing yesterday, but the finish on them is really excellent. Varying degrees of weathering, and wood colouring. Really love the variety and difference in each vehicle.

Oh....and I quite liked the motive power on the train too! ;)

I did a little bit of photography today while we were winding down. I expect there'll be more along shortly.

I found myself opposite the MPD looking at a pair of J39s:

Grantham_J39s_zps9d406806.jpg

And at almost the two extremes of LNER motive power of the time:

Grantham_A4J3_zpsa8973c57.jpg

This one was taken because I thought I couldn't work out the control panel and was incapable of getting the train to move, so it kept me occupied while Robert came back to explain what I'd done wrong. Turned out the loco had failed (it had an intermittent fault all weekend).

Grantham_4413_zpsebc92fac.jpg

We ran Mr King's ironstone hoppers and they were very much deserving of close attention:

frodhops1_zps52b0dd91.jpg

They stand up to the cruelty of the closeup very well indeed.

frodhops2_zpsd7e35c6f.jpg

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 13

Gentlemen, and better-halves,

Home safely, fed/watered/cleansed, I now have time to return to the dreaded keyboard and my first duty has to be to say thanks to all, hosts in particular (without implication that others did not play their parts) for a most enjoyable, enlightening and absolutely stress-free weekend. Quite a contrast with the one that went before, whose horrors (rightly) lay outside the world of model railways. I feel thoroughly re-charged.

I am yet to view Tom's video, but will do so shortly, although I must firstly have a look at what is going on in the world of pointless and ineffective news embargoes.....

• Like 1

VERY nice video Tom.

The farce of secrecy continues then? I see one is still not allowed to mention that NRM special which is already widely known thanks to advertisers, publishers and distributors STILL not being able to master the use of a calendar.

I love the Frodingham ore hoppers - are they going to be available as kits?  I would be very interested in a rake...

Of course then I'll need an 04 ,,, however will I explain it all to Dr Mrs G-F?

How about an O2! Proper GNR motive power. Heck I shouldn't be saying that as a NE man! :O

Edited by 2750

I love the Frodingham ore hoppers - are they going to be available as kits?  I would be very interested in a rake...

Of course then I'll need an 04 ,,, however will I explain it all to Dr Mrs G-F?

How about an O2! Proper GNR motive power. Heck I shouldn't be saying that as a NE man! :O

I'll leave it up to Mr 3279 himself to comment more fully re potential future availability, but...

[pedant mode on] For a full rake, it really has to be an O4 and pre-war. The O2s were not that numerous pre-war (I only found out the other day that further batches were built during the war time!) and used on more 'prestige' goods workings. During the war, the wagons were all pooled and ended up all over the place. Post-war, a batch of O2s were allocated to Grantham for the High Dyke workings (apparently in preference to WD 2-8-0s!), by which time the more familiar steel bodied mineral wagons were coming on stream.

[pedant mode off] Rule 1 applies :mosking:

Personally, I'd love to see a hopelessly jumbled up rake like this:

post-16151-0-03355600-1406531697.jpg

This is from the Dave F's excellent photostream and is dated 1952. The third vehicle (ie the second wagon actually carrying iron ore) appears to be one of these 'peak enders'. I suspect they didn't last in service much longer than this.

• Like 6

Oo-er - dunno! Anyone with a Yeadons out there?(!)

My guess would be that they were concentrated on Peterborough-London, as that was where the mega-trains were (the two P1's couldn't handle ALL the traffic on their own!). Plenty of pics in the Goslin book (and others) of them on this stretch.

The O4's were the sort of LNER inter-war equivalent of the post-war Eastern-Region WD influx and, as well as the iron-ore traffic, were also dominant on the coal traffic north of Peterborough (according to Goslin), taking 40-50 wagon loads to Peterborough (where they were combined into the long trains, mainly due to capacity restraints south of there).

Well that's what I've pieced together from my research, anyhow. Probably needs someone more knowledgeable than me to give the definitive answer...

I believe the O2s worked very largely on the New England and/or March to London (and back) minerals in the 30s. My desire for a Gresley O1 "sister" class stems from the fact that unlike the 3-cylinder equivalents, the 2-cylinder variety did get used on some of the coal trains between South Yorkshire and March, some of which ran via the GN loop line through Bardney (my layout spot) even if most used the GN-GE joint.

Wow, Yet another fabulous ECML blog to troll through  with plenty of apple green and garter blue A4's with valances just as Gresley Of Doncaster intended  :imsohappy:

Right, I'm off to page 1.

Welcome aboard - I nearly posted some directions on the Peterborough thread a few days ago but you found us anyway. Judging by the image at the foot of your postings, I think you might have a treat in store around about page 22 but I hope you find plenty else to enjoy besides. ;)

Welcome aboard - I nearly posted some directions on the Peterborough thread a few days ago but you found us anyway. Judging by the image at the foot of your postings, I think you might have a treat in store around about page 22 but I hope you find plenty else to enjoy besides. ;)

Would that be COA at the head of that magnificent coronation coach set?

What a lovely looking rake. I have Teaks coming out of my ears, but I really must look into acquiring some streamlined stock.

My interest was sparked when I heard of the Hornby Silver Jubilee coach sets not long back - Until I saw them :(

Edited by The Blue Streak
  • Like 1