Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

Thanks GN! I assume that is a post-war practice you're specifically referring to there (although nothing to say that it couldn't have happened per-war). Photographic evidence would of course 'nail it'.

I know that I have a photo somewhere in one of my books of I think a J6 drawing a set of quad arts out of Mansfield Road tunnel and into Nottingham Victoria. The coaches are definitely teak liveried, and the loco carries a pre war number. It's just a question of tracking the book down, now.

• RMweb Premium

It's in one of the LNER Albums, Gilbert.

It is indeed Jonathan, and in a rare rush of memory, I was able to identify which one too :O  I do not know the identity of the current holder of the copyright for the photo, but reproduce it here acknowledging that person's rights. If required, I will remove it at once.

post-98-0-35190300-1411643916_thumb.jpg

The caption states this is the empty stock for an evening excursion to Skegness in the late 1930's, and that the train is formed of "London suburban articulated stock, the leading set clearly fresh from overhaul at Doncaster".

There we are then - the only question now is, when are you going to build it? :jester:

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

'Ay-slet not has-let in my neck of the woods - like scone, not scon. Can't get the stuff in Skegness anymore. Looks like a trip to Wainfleet will be in order next week (and Louth as well, a great place to pop to if you're in the area).

Saw these yesterday on the M&GN (North Norfolk, Sheringham) and thought of Grantham.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I was given a copy of an article in the HMRS journal called "Profile of stopping trains between KX and peterborough/Grantham 4th-10th July 1958"

On Wednesday the 9th July 1958 the 16.06 Hitchin to Sandy was formed of L1 67785 with quad art set L74 with driver Gilbert, so the preserved example made it to sandy (which is what matters to me :blum: )

It's an interesting article and also lists the stock and locos on Grantham workings too.

I should be able to PDF and attach it, if not I'll email to anyone wanting a copy.

• Like 1

According to the Summer 1938 timetable there were various (dated) SO trains to Skegness from Leicester (Belgrave Road), Nottingham (Victoria), Derby (Friargate) and Burton-on-Trent (with through coach from Birmingham).

None of them are shown calling at Grantham :cry: The closest we get are some through coaches, detached and attached at Grantham (which at least is operationally interesting) :derisive:

There we are then - the only question now is, when are you going to build it? :jester:

Blimey, one mention of Quad-Arts and the thread goes ballistic.

No worries on that score GN - already got access to two sets (from different sources).

post-16151-0-48062500-1411645263_thumb.jpg

Mark Allatt's set (built my Roy Mears)

post-16151-0-55123500-1411645395_thumb.jpg 

JW's set (part hidden - apologies!)

post-16151-0-44041300-1411645577_thumb.jpg

Slightly better view of it in the bay (Platform 4)

(Apologies - JW beat me to it by a minute! Well, he does play with computers for a living...)

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

About eight or nine years ago and it was first in this thread in July last year.

quads2_zpsa33e6858.jpg

quads_zps53fd45d7.jpg

Sorry Jonathan, the unprecedented success of not only remembering which book it was in, but where to find that book too, caused a predictable relapse, and I forgot whose post it was to which I was replying, assuming it was "Robert" himself. I should have known, and remembered, that you would have built a set, or several. :blush:

• Like 2

Only the one up to now, but I do have the accompanying all third set in the pile somewhere (and if we decide we want an excursion train it would be quicker than a Tourist set to build...).

Don't hold your breath though. I'll put that one in the boxes for the weekend if you like.

• RMweb Premium

progress on the sleds has been slower than it should be due to some "earning crusts" Hopefully the work will be more advanced by the weekend..

post-7650-0-58052500-1411649207_thumb.jpg

And I will only say - its quicker if you start from an unbuilt kit!

Baz

• Like 4

...or stuffed chine - a nice bit of neck (area) "hammed" stuffed with parsley and eaten with vinegar, etc (I eat it neat, to the disgust of others)

Asked for that down the road in Peterborough and they had never heard of it :scratchhead:  wimps :jester:

Neither had they heard of Dough cake and Stilton cheese being eaten together.

Dough cake = Lincolnshire plum bread, proper stuff with 98% fruit and 2% bread, not what the shops trying selling round here with 98% bread and six currants if you can find them :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Can you still get dripping?

I do have some more photos of the quads if anyone's interested. They were taken from the train as we passed them, so they are close-ups, of the sides but I can put them somewhere - maybe Flickr - after the weekend if anyone's interested. I'm also converting a few raw photos of Grantham as well from my camera as opposed to my iPad, so I'll add them to here after the weekend if that's ok.

• Like 1

Can you still get dripping?

Dunno, the wife banned it years ago, said it wouldn't do the heart any good :nono:

I hope your are enjoying your holiday Jason.  I see you are getting around quite a bit, North Norfolk Railway is lovely.  Even better to get back to Wainfleet and enjoy some Bateman's liquid.

I'm just about to crack open this lovely bottle :sungum:

post-15323-0-20899300-1411677760_thumb.jpg

Edited by Donington Road
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Of course! Then, just some salt and white bread (just in case the fat doesn't get you). It's been so long now, I can't remember whether I liked the brown jelly or not.

This discussion (sorry 'Robert') has really brought out the Yellerbellies from the woodwork hasn't it?

• Like 4

Stuffed chine---yes , the proper stuff from pork butchers, Watkins of Westgate, Grantham. I have some most weeks. Not always as reesty as chine should be, but tasty stuff with vinegar. Also pork dripping, from Watkins, with brown jelly in the bottem...loverly on toast. I reckon beef dripping is still available. I Like the comment about proper lincolnshire dough cake also.... The "chine" comes from the hind quarters of the pig, by the way; i'm sure, and being very reesty (as Graeme K. says) needs stuffing with parsley and boiling a fair while to make it paletteable.  Nowt wasted when you kill a pig remember. 

Sorry for all this non-railway stuff on your thread Graham. Keep on inspiring us with your brilliant depiction of Grantham.

Roy (Lincolnshire Yellowbelly).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well I'm embarrassed - not knowing my chine from my backside. All I know is that my cousin works for a place that makes it, and my 86 yr old uncle gave it his seal of approval. Unfortunately he died a month later, but that wasn't the chine. Did anyone else use to go cockling on the marsh? Now that was fun.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

"Robert," on Grantham's shed's I just found 4 pictures I hadn't seen before in John Hooper's LNER sheds in camera. If you don't have that one let me know. Two are taken from the top of the coaling tower I think, one north and one south. Another shows the north turntable with the station in the background

Hi No.10(!)

Yes, got those thanks. The ones from the top of the tower are particularly invaluable and have helped - and will continue to help - get the depot details right, particularly as there were quite a few changes between then (1937) and the more common late 50's / early 60's views.

The tower would be newly built at the time and I suspect there was a certain degree of novelty in capturing those views from the new vantage point. I will not be including the tower on my model; rather have decided to model a little cameo of the first footings being dug.

Thanks for highlighting these pix all the same.

• Like 1

Well I'm embarrassed - not knowing my chine from my backside. All I know is that my cousin works for a place that makes it, and my 86 yr old uncle gave it his seal of approval. Unfortunately he died a month later, but that wasn't the chine. 

On the contrary, it's me who's embarrassed JCL. It is from the neck, and I apologise. I'd always understood it's from t'other end, but I've discovered I was wrong and you're quite right.

I remember as a boy pigs being killed from time to time on my grandad's, and later my uncle's, farm in the fens near Boston. Cutting it up, salting the sides ready for hanging in cotton bags on big hooks in the back kitchen, making sausages etc.. The women of family and friends nearby would all "pig in" (pardon the pun) , being very busy for ages dealing with it. Sausages and "pigs fry" would be dished around to people . All a bit gruesome to young eyes, but a way of life long gone.

Stuffed chine is jolly tasty anyway, and may well add a little atmosphere to the "Robert the Devil's" Grantham. 

Roy.