RMweb

Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

OK, so back to the modelling...

attachicon.gifIMG_3294.JPG

Two new additions were on display at Ormesby on Monday evening. First of all Jonathan's newly out-shopped DJH Atlantic (No.3276) and rather splendid it looked too. Just awaiting final couple of details (eg front coupling). I'm hoping this will be a 'regular' on the layout over the next few years. And to her left, the new (but 'doomed'!) 'gallows' style somersault signal, now 'planted' but awaiting connecting up to the panel. A very pleasant ex-GNR combination.

attachicon.gifIMG_3293.JPG

Here is the slightly more dramatic view, showing juxtaposition of old and new (signals), with the drainage troughing run also showing up quite nicely. I'm sure Tony will have fun playing around with camera angles when this scene is fully complete.

attachicon.gifIMG_3295.JPG

And if that was not enough, then can you spot a further new development in this picture? Not too difficult! Credit for this arboreal creation in the making goes to Craig (Thompson), who was modest enough to be crouched below the baseboard holding the base of the tree steady for the 1 second exposure time. This is based on pictures of the real Peascliffe tunnel, which shows a very large tree (a beech?) with a very distinctive low down bifurcation point (the room fell silent for a few seconds when Craig described this feature before the inevitable 'male humour' kicked in!). It looks a little stark at the moment but will be surrounded by a veritable copse of smaller trees (as per prototype) so it should all be much more homogeneous once complete.

attachicon.gifIMG_3297.JPG

Meanwhile, the scenery groundwork has now spilt over to the front (public) side of the railway with construction of the rest of the embankment and the stream coming through. The brown area to its left will be a suggestion of allotments, which were quite a feature of this location (indeed, there are still some to this day) and a nice way to effect transition from town to countryside. In true LNER parsimonious fashion, Paul is sweeping up every last retrievable bit of excess scatter for further use!

In't that great? At least four people's contribution to just this one piece of the layout. That's what the hobby (and RMWeb) is all about. :)

I suppose that once the foliage is finished, the inevitable male humour will talk about the low down bifurcation point sticking through the undergrowth etc.....

Excellent modelling - can't wait to see the layout when it pokes it's head in to the real world.

Phil

The A3 on the Hotpoint train in 1961.......I reckon it's 60065 Knight of Thistle ,a Grantham engine with GN coal rail tender and round dome . '48 Doncaster , as has been suggested , had a round dome .

I seem to think it was the only engine we had at the time with a round dome .

Regards , Roy

• Like 2

I bought a print of this photo from the Science Museum a while ago to try to ID the loco.  Here's a crop from it.

According to the BR Database Donovan was released from Doncaster works on 25th April 1961 following a general overhaul.

There's a disagreement on the date between two departments of the Science Museum.  The date given on the Science & Society webpage is 29 June 1961, but on the NRM website linked to above it's 17th May 1961.

post-16222-0-67269000-1423782506.jpg

Edited by 61070

Thanks John - I think we have our loco.

post-16151-0-10954300-1423821216_thumb.jpg

There is another (rather nice) pic of this train on the back of the Cossey book (did the official photographer scamper down the trackside, once he'd taken his snaps in the goods yard, to await departure one wonders?). Again, no details given of which loco it is! But this pic at least confirms GN tender. Everything in RCTS 2A seems to 'fit' it being 60047 Donovan in 1961

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 5

The A3 on the Hotpoint train in 1961.......I reckon it's 60065 Knight of Thistle ,a Grantham engine with GN coal rail tender and round dome . '48 Doncaster , as has been suggested , had a round dome .

I seem to think it was the only engine we had at the time with a round dome .

Regards , Roy

It must be old age !! I got the above post right round my neck . I meant to say '48 "Doncaster" had a "streamlined" dome , and the photo in post 1874 ,  and in 1880 looks to have a "round" dome , which someone suggested .  does it ? ?  In which case I think the engine is 60065 "Knight of Thistle" as it was the only Grantham engine with a round dome . And 60047 certainly had a streamlined dome , as Graham is suggesting in post 1880 .

Now IF it is'nt a round dome....well take your pick .

Sorry to labour the point gentlemen .

Roy.

Thanks John - I think we have our loco.

attachicon.gifIMG_3308.JPG

There is another (rather nice) pic of this train on the back of the Cossey book (did the official photographer scamper down the trackside, once he'd taken his snaps in the goods yard, to await departure one wonders?). Again, no details given of which loco it is! But this pic at least confirms GN tender. Everything in RCTS 2A seems to 'fit' it being 60047 Donovan in 1961

I think you're right, and that it's got a streamlined dome (thanks to all for not calling it a 'banjo' - they were only fitted to the boilers of the last-built A3s, and all had gone by the war). Though the perspective is tight, it appears the dome is not on the second ring of the boiler, but behind it. The round domes were always astride the second boiler ring, whether they be Gresley or Thompson in origin. The streamlined domes were astride the third boiler ring (those A3s with A4 boilers having them a twitch further forward).

I hope this helps. 

• RMweb Premium

Streamlined it is; I can just see a 'tail' in the photo taken from lineside. Anyway Roy worked with them so he should know and TW knows what he's on about. I just love the fact that we all learn so much from other's depth of knowledge.

Slight change of direction. Would this train possibly appear on LB? It is a bit late ('61) and sadly too late for Grantham (except in circa 1960 mode....go on 4479, you know you want to). 

Also, was this a 'one off' to Australia to help support the £10 migrants when they arrived and needed to wash all their cold weather clothes that they no longer needed?

P

• Like 3

Thanks Phil. for your kind comments , and your so (W)right , T.W. certainly knows all about these things , and I was foxed at first with the dome , but thanks to John (61070) , another very knowledgeable gentleman , with his blowup picture it is beyond doubt '47 Donovan .

Roy.

I call that place 'the valley', used to spend all day there in the Summers of 59-62! Played 'wars' in the woods watched a lot of loco's and 'flattened' pennies on the tracks!!

Happy days before electrification and high wire fences!!

Ron

PS Ordered that book as well!!

Edited by g0ibi
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In preparation for a trip to Grantham tomorrow thermal gear readied, fingerless gloves readied, hat, scarf and several jumpers ..ready.

And some LM BR locos may be visiting.....

Baz

• Like 1

'Nesh', Mrs4479 would say...

Plenty of board-to-board connectors, 6-core wire, solder (etc) and - if you're really quick - point motors waiting for you.

Are these more 'broad gauge' LM locos or ones we can actually run on the layout?