Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

It's a man's world on the fiddle.....

especially when two trains arrive at the same time..unannounced.....

Seriously though I found it quite therapeutic operating the fiddle yard. The Shed was OK till you got 4 engines appearing at the same time...keeps you on your toes!

• Like 2

especially when two trains arrive at the same time..unannounced.....

Seriously though I found it quite therapeutic operating the fiddle yard. The Shed was OK till you got 4 engines appearing at the same time...keeps you on your toes!

You were calm and relaxed when I met you, mind you, I think it was lunch time, ahhahah

All the best.

Blimey! I must be so accustomed to the sight of the things that I completely failed to notice the giant sectional view of an eyeball.......

Roy's blue jumper gets in everywhere.

Thanks for that Graeme, I thought it was my podge intruding there ! must cut down on the cakes.

• Like 1

Well - good on yer Mersey507003 for having a crack and making something for yourself.

I quite like the look of the P1, the incorrect chassis configuration doesn't 'jar' too much.

The leading 4-8-2 you're still working on? The discontinuity in the boiler join looks like it needs some attention (bet you didn't need me to tell you that!). Can't really tell from the photograph but looks like you might have fitted the longer smokebox on the rear one. With a boiler barrel the length of the front one there wouldn't be much steam raising going on at the front end! Did you see Paul Mellor's 4-8-2 (at about the time of Warley). His had a very noticeable long smokebox - even with that, the front was set quite a way back (I think he worked from a basic outline drawing)

Keep hacking, cutting and shutting! The more you do the better they'll be. You might also like to think about graduating onto whitemetal body kits (if you haven't already done so). Some of these are designed to fit over RTR chassis and the body pieces can be glued together to at least get you started. My Dad has just made his first ever loco kit like that over Xmas - at the grand age of 78!

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Blimey, I go away for a week and Fritters is finishing his layout, GTSY has some superb new rolling stock and has been making an exhibition of itself complete with Baz and Co having a play. Bloomin' embarrassing that all I've done is flap about, collect a BR1G tender body from deepest Mansfield and received a very nice gift from Stubby.

Must get a grip

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

Phil,

possibly Dead Frogs and all points fed from the Toe of number  one point as they all face in the same direction. Or the lad has paused for a late lunch and is going to insert Micro Switches or he will tell us whilst I am having a lay down to recuperate from over using both brain cells in the afternoon.  Not wise at my age.

• Like 2

How do the lectrickery stuff work on them points then lad? Like the idea; was thinking similar thoughts for my yard(s).

P

The 3-way is dead frog; all the others are live 'uns. Derek is right - basically all fed from the south end; however, the point facing the 'wrong' way at the north end of the crossing adds a little excitement. There is a baseboard join however at the other side of the crossing so that helps in terms of providing the necessary breaks in the rails.

Not being a natural electrician I sort of muddle through it as I go along, putting breaks in where necessary and wiring past them. As it is basically a 'one engine in steam' goods yard and won't see intensive use throughout the planned schedule (compared to the Down yard, which'll be a lot busier), I reckon I'll get away with it (ie no need to stable locos all over the place).

Or, to put it another way, I'm just being a bit of a lazy a*se :secret:

Edited by LNER4479

• RMweb Premium

Plenty of point motors still need wiring up in these parts... :jester:

Looks like a job for the Chartered Electrical Engineer! Oh b###er that's me...

No problems!

Baz

• Like 1

Good! Some nice simple push-pull rods to operate the points. Highly satisfactory in terms of cost too.

With facilities for hidden changes of wagons, if we then decide to adopt shunting Scrabble won't some be tempted to cheat?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The 3-way is dead frog; all the others are live 'uns. Derek is right - basically all fed from the south end; however, the point facing the 'wrong' way at the north end of the crossing adds a little excitement. There is a baseboard join however at the other side of the crossing so that helps in terms of providing the necessary breaks in the rails.

Not being a natural electrician I sort of muddle through it as I go along, putting breaks in where necessary and wiring past them. As it is basically a 'one engine in steam' goods yard and won't see intensive use throughout the planned schedule (compared to the Down yard, which'll be a lot busier), I reckon I'll get away with it (ie no need to stable locos all over the place).

Or, to put it another way, I'm just being a bit of a lazy a*se :secret:

Usual advice is never to use baseboard breaks as insulation points for electrical purposes. Very easy for the rail to expand/be moved just enough to cause a short.