Where was I..

• RMweb Gold

That's the one, the lesser photographed eastern portal; apparently styled on something Egyptian. A completely unnecessary tunnel to pander to the Anson family. The tunnel curves quite sharply to the left; sit on the hill by the folly in the background and you can feel the trains beneath you.

Gah! Prunes! Had I been online at the time I'd have guessed this one - I have a painting of Shugborough Hall on my bedroom wall! Friend of a friend works there.

• RMweb Gold

Yes - they diverted it - didn't it make the French press ?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oops - "M1" - finger trouble ;)

That's alright then - diverting the M5 is ok, just as long as Daventry hasn't been moved to the West Midlands in my absence!

As for finger trouble, I scarcely ever post something without then spotting a typo. Doh!

Church Bramton?

36E

Getting very close, but I didn't expect a true location, just a good approximate.

It was taken from Wilson's foot crossing, in the Kingsthorpe/Kingheath area of Northampton, about 2/3 minutes North of Northampton station itself.

Over to the first person who posts a picture next.

• RMweb Gold

And thats a clue?

Flippin eck! laugh.gif laugh.gif

Yes, it's a darn good clue! Since this is third rail, wot scheme woz in construction in 1966? Bournemouth, which opened on 10th July 1967, complete with General Manager David McKenna on tv news making "diddly-dum" noises. Must be south of Worting Junction, of course, being two tracks, so all we need to do is identify a branch closed before that date. All those obscure branches in west Hants seem a likely source of wisdom.

That's the sum total of my cleverness, mind, so the field is now open for those who, unlike me, have atlases etc!

• RMweb Premium

That's a splendid guess - you're all on the right line.

2nd clue - should give it away completely - there was another former branch diverging away on the extreme RHS of the photo too.

Don't suppose it's near Winchester with the old branch to the right being the one to Alton? Perhaps my geog is out the window but I CBA to get out the Rail Atlas! :P

36E

That's the one, the lesser photographed eastern portal; apparently styled on something Egyptian. A completely unnecessary tunnel to pander to the Anson family. The tunnel curves quite sharply to the left; sit on the hill by the folly in the background and you can feel the trains beneath you.

Your turn now, the pic's got to be less than two hours old. Chop, chop. laugh.gif

That's odd Andy, at work we always call it the south end! Always been a bit of a bottleneck there , between Colwich Junction and Milford & Brockton wink.gif

Nidge

Correct - it is "Winchester Junction" as it is today looking north.

The single line spur to the Didcot, Newbury & Southampton diverged away through the location of the 1966 traction substation and the Alton line diverged away from to the right of where I'm stood roughly where the large tree is. The LWSR signalbox is a pile of bricks just to the right of the signalling location cabinet. I,m stood on top of the road underbridge and the former railway underbridge of the DN&S is immediatelly behind me. Just for completeness, here's a view looking south.

Over to you 36E

Archived