Loco hauled and Special services during Olympics

roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

"Friendly" against Chelsea????? :nono:

Could've been worse, it might have been Crystal Palace :stinker:

At least it seems the advice given all along to the regular commuter / traveller / day visitor has been heeded namely try to avoid London for the duration.

90043 and WB64 (the Pretendolino) have just worked 1T15 15:16 Euston-Coventry, and 5G40 16:38 Coventry-Euston (ECS), as an extra for some football game at the City of Foleshill Stadium (shame they couldn't build a station there in time). It did have the option of running 5T16 to Birmingham International then 5G40 back to Euston, but in the end was turned around at Coventry.

That's nearly a 200 mile roundtrip for the train and crew for the benefit of.....29 passengers...!!

Well at least they're using the most effective and economic way of doing things... ;)

On a more serious note (and knowing very little about real train operation) is there a reason why they would use a pretendolino (which I'm assuming is a rake of at least 5 cars) and a class 90 vs. a 2-car EMU/DMU for that journey given the number of passengers involved, or is it simply because the passenger numbers were not known in advance?

Two reasons I think

1. If they'd known in advance that there would only be 29 passengers then they would not have run it all. I assume they expected more.

2. The first choice for extras is always your own rolling stock as this avoids the cost of hiring in stock and crews. The train was run by Virgin so they would have looked to use their own stock which meant either a Pendolino, a Voyager or the Pretendolino. The Pretendolino apart from a couple of regular turns a week is generally spare so it was the obvious choice.

Something that you have to give the TOC's credit for in this case is the over provision, just in case passenger numbers were alot greater. It's good to see the railway proving it is flexible enough to move large numbers of additional passengers, it's just a pity the demand isn't there.

• RMweb Premium

Today (well this morning actually) was noticeably a lot busier although we did have Glourious Goodwood at Chichester and Brighton v Chelsea (friendly) this afternoon thrown into the mix which will always provide heavy loadings anyway.

The big thing about Olympic travel that has caused a lot of confusion is the Travelcards that have been issued with Olympic tickets, they say Zones 1 to 9 on them yet even some of my fellow train crew have never heard of Zones 7, 8 and 9 (our World as far as Oysters and Travelcards is concerned ends at Coulsdon South) so as an Instructor I have been fielding lots of phonecalls from baffled colleagues.

Zone's 7, 8 and 9 of course are only on the Metropolitan Line from Moor Park to Amersham and Chesham via Rickmansworth and a bit of the London Overground north of Harrow. I should have recorded that on my voicemail message....

• RMweb Gold

Having travelled on various TOCs over the last week some have provided extra capacity whilst some havent at the times we have been travelling.

Interestingly the trains to Victoria his morning were far busier than those to London Bridge when we travelled. The same coming home tonight.

Archived