Loco hauled and Special services during Olympics

roundhouse

Indeed there are. DB Schenker is running six additionals nightly for 17 nights AFAIK, from Paddington, Euston, St Pancras and Kings Cross, using a mix of diesel and electric traction, some possibly hired-in.

I haven't searched, but I have a feeling there's already a thread running on this.

• RMweb Gold

I haven't searched, but I have a feeling there's already a thread running on this.

Not sure about another thread, but the six trains will only be used if there is sufficient demand from late home-going visitors. There are 2 booked from Kings Cross, 2 from Euston, 1 from St Pancras and 1 from Paddington. The Western one certainly is formed 1 x Class 67 and a set of coaches. If the demand can be met by the booked services from the other TOCs, then these charter sets are not likely to be activated. There are paths in TRUST, but they should really be considered as 'Q' paths (ie. run if required).

• RMweb Gold

roundhouse, firstly sorry for not replying to your pm!

i believe there are going to be extra chiltern trains running, not sure which ones are loco hauled, we have a load of amended and additional turns in our rosters for the next few weeks, there is an 01:30 off london to brum, that much i do know.

in our staff news letter one of the managers said that until the games start and people start travelling its going to be difficult to assess which trains to strengthen etc as we are not on a direct route to the games site (other than the footy at wembley)

personally im looking forward to it if it means i get to play 67s a bit ore than usual!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jim

We are possibly going to Moreton In Marsh or Charlbury for a few beers this Saturday but not sure wether to go onto Banbury first just in case there are loco hauled sets running.

Me not looking forward to the next few weeks as I work near London Bridge. Getting should be OK but going home may well be hassle.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

It's a huge unknown quantity for everyone as to where and when the crowds will be. Extra late night capacity is there on an "if required" basis but the railway is so full of trains through the day that there are few paths for extras in some areas. Southern is building up with extra coaches (4 to 8 on suburban runs and 8 to 12 to the coast) but no haulage. The Captain's post probably contains the most definite information possible at this stage. It would be touch and go trying to guarantee a photo or ride on any of these extras; all may run or none. Or just one or two which may be different runs every night.

Good luck trying to find one!

• RMweb Gold

We are possibly going to Moreton In Marsh or Charlbury for a few beers this Saturday but not sure wether to go onto Banbury first just in case there are loco hauled sets running.

Try this for the timetables, doesn't specifiy traction but has the services incuding the 1R00 that Jim mentions.

http://rail.staging.swlines.co.uk/

Mod programmes and non-essential stand-downs are suspended for the duration of the London 2012 Olympic Games also. This frees up quite a few units from the southern TOCs.

• RMweb Gold

Mod programmes and non-essential stand-downs are suspended for the duration of the London 2012 Olympic Games also.

someone tell chiltern that then, they sent the final slam door stock set away for modding 2 weeks ago, would have made a handy extra set

someone tell chiltern that then, they sent the final slam door stock set away for modding 2 weeks ago, would have made a handy extra set

That's certainly rather odd! Especially as DBS is mobilising sundry extra sets!

• RMweb Gold

The 19:30 marylebone to moor at is just about to depart london, loco hauled using the banbury set, unfortunatly ive got a 2 car to wycombe instead

The 01:30 service to brum is a 168, ive got it monday and tuesday next week

• RMweb Gold

No loco hauled on our visit to Banbury today, Gatwick to Reading services very busy even around 6 am.

On arrival Reading they we're just erecting barriers despite platforms being really busy. Just left Reading and they had everyone queuing up in same time for Waterloo and Gatwick despite it not being busy and the Waterloo train sitting there empty. Earlier our train on the Cotswold line had internal display saying we were late due to heavy passenger use but everyone was on well before departure time. I was just about last one on, two minutes before booked departure after photographing the 70 heading for Southampton.

Think FGW are trying to find excuses for delays...certainly not my favourite TOC after last few months experiences.

• RMweb Premium

Curiously today (Saturday) it was actually quieter than a normal summer Saturday, many London trains were comparitively quiet, still busy but nothong more than usual although there was a bit of extra traffic heading Dorking way for the cycling. Whilst a lot of events have yet to get underway in London yet, the general conseus is we have managed to frighten a lot of people off going!!

Vast majority of traffic seemed to be heading for Brighton for a day of drinking and debauchery as well as getting burnt to a crisp on the beach.

• RMweb Gold

apparently our 01:30 yesterday was rammed with people coming back from the opening ceremony

here is the 19:30 departure after arrival into moor st, not sure what it does on arrival but the picture was taken just after midnight and it was running, got a feeling it had been to tyseley for fuel

6e538b69.jpg

only just fits on the platform

• RMweb Gold

well i worked the 01:30 off london this morning, a rough head count (by that i mean approximate number not rough looking heads!) said there were around 60 people on board, quite a few got off at beaconsfield, couple at wycombe, a few at haddenham, id say that by the time i got to birmingham there were about 25-30 people getting off

got it again tonight, will try and get some pics, didn't get a chance last night as i was late running empty from brum thanks to poor regulaton which meant the last stopper to banbury got put out in front of me from dorridge to leamington by mistake

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday the 'train into London Bridge was fairly quiet but today its much busier with many families getting on. The platform was very busy.

Last night London Bridge was very busy on the concourse so took a little maneovering to get to the barriers. That was at 17.10 and I reckon that they were about to implement queuing. The train out of London Bridge that I was on was no busier than usual.

• RMweb Premium

Peak up to London Victoria this morning (normally packed to the rafters by Haywards Heath at the latest) was no more than 80% full with plenty of empty seats all the way to London. Most of the regular commuters seem to have wisely gone on holiday for the duration. Off peaks to London about nine to 11 a little busier though but nothing exceptional.

In short it appears no one can be either bothered or have any interest.

Just seen a report that says that many of the free big screen venues including Weymouth are completely desserted, the weekend will be a lot busier I predict though (Brighton playing at home to a sell out in a friendly against Chelsea doesn't help!)

Archived