The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Xmas No 1

Mickey

• RMweb Premium

Yes! I blew a whole 69p on a download as my part in this little victory against manufactured pop. Simon Cowell is crying all the way to the bank I suppose. At least Pete Waterman spent his "" ill gotten "" pop music gains on trains. ;-)

• RMweb Premium

Even Sir Paul Macca seems to be pleased, he reckons the "Buy RATM" campaign "makes a point".

Can't say I'm too struck on RATM but IMHO they're infinitely preferable to another Cowell "now sing this and make me another fortune" muppet at No.1, although I'm sure next week will see a change at the top of the chart.

Saddest thing I've seen this Christmas has to be the official Simon Cowell calendar - who on earth would want him smirking at them all year?

• RMweb Gold

Yes! I blew a whole 69p on a download as my part in this little victory against manufactured pop. Simon Cowell is crying all the way to the bank I suppose. At least Pete Waterman spent his "" ill gotten "" pop music gains on trains. ;-)

I have heard X factor fans who are crying in their beer state that Cowell gets a share anyway as he has shares in the label RATM are on!

To me whether he does or doesn't is immaterial-its the principle! - he thought he was gauranteed the number 1 spot with whatever shite he inflicted on us- but this year he didn't get it! :P I sort of feel sorry for the youngsters who do it, they are really just 'pawns' Leona Lewis had real talent that must only come along once every so often! -it wont happen again anytime soon!

....Simon Cowell is crying all the way to the bank I suppose....

It didn't matter who was Xmas no.1 - Sony would still profit from it biggrin.gif

RATM put out the type of music that I used to listen to when I was doing my A-Levels.....which was a looooooong time ago! Only listen to Radio 4 nowadays laugh.gif

I think all those Geordies skint themselves voting for the guy in the X factor final over and over again so they couldn't afford the price of his single. Comes to something when you can allegedly poll so many votes yet not enough of your so called fans can be bothered to go out (or even stay in) and buy the single. The difference of 50000 copies is probably the amount any artist would sell in any other week to get to number 1. Best thing is he's being tipped to be held off again this time by his mentor Cheryl Cole. :lol:

• RMweb Premium

I have heard X factor fans who are crying in their beer state that Cowell gets a share anyway as he has shares in the label RATM are on!

Not really, it is true to say that RATM's label and Cowell's company are both part of Sony in the final event, but I can't see how that means Coweel makes money from RATM.

I thought it was particularly funny when Cowell accused the RATM Facebook campaign of being 'cynical' - that has to be one of the best 'pot calls kettle black' statements ever!

Not really, it is true to say that RATM's label and Cowell's company are both part of Sony in the final event, but I can't see how that means Coweel makes money from RATM.

Yea, he's going to make a fortune from RATM. laugh.gif Lets see. 49p a copy which about 25% goes back to the record company at 500,000 copies thats a net of ??61,250. That will work out to 0.00001p per common share of Sony stock. On the other hand he will get around 50% of the money from that x-crap durge as 'his' company owns the performance rights.

• RMweb Premium

Next year I'm going to start a campaign to get one of the following back into the "charts" (inverted commas deliberate as they aren't really charts any more:

Merry Christmas Everybody - Slade

I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day - Wizzard

Stop the Cavalry - Jonah Louie

Every one more deserving that what we got this year.

Radio 2 rules for music!!!!!! LOL

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Roy Wood! Wasn't he in The Move?

Yes, that's right. He then formed ELO with Jeff Lynne but left after the first album to form Wizzard and took half the first ELO personnel with him.

I liked the Move - great singles band!

I bought the RATM track. What have we all got out of it?

Shelter got a load of money, plus another charity that helps teach kids to play musical instruments, so that isn't bad. Plus RATM will play a free gig next year so I might go along to that.

I propose next year's attempt should be Lawnmower Deth's 'Seventh Church of the Apocalyptic Lawnmower'

His mum? Hmmm...maybe not...

steve

I'd like to see just what species the thing that gave birth to him is...

also the first number one of the new millenium/decade was a proper band, Manic Street Preachers with The masses against the classes and now the last one is to yaaay

• RMweb Gold

Next year I'm going to start a campaign to get one of the following back into the "charts" (inverted commas deliberate as they aren't really charts any more:

Merry Christmas Everybody - Slade

I Wish It Could Be Christmas Every Day - Wizzard

Stop the Cavalry - Jonah Louie

Every one more deserving that what we got this year.

Radio 2 rules for music!!!!!! LOL

Stewart

Quite right I dont think the RATM was particuarly the right xmas song but there was some good for charities. That was the way it went and it worked, I dont think X Factor is necessarily a bad thing, despite not being something I want to watch- BUT why not do it in Spring or Summer?

Its still the manipulation factor as far as I'm concerned!

Archived