Railmotor Running Days

Edge

Hi All,

No. 93 is having a bit of work done this week so I will let you all know how the patient is at the end of it all! Nothing too serious I assure you...

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Gold

I'd love to see it running, too. Not my favourite railway, but this relic is worth 10 Tornadoes IMHO.

Agree absolutely - and fascinating to cab it on our recent RMweb visit to Didcot (courtesy of Castle of this parish). However running is one thing, my sympathies lie with those who have to drop the fire, and keep the bodywork clean in the process. I hope I will be able to get to see it when it makes its escape into the wider world later this year - it could be very interesting in the places where I understand it will be heading (my lips are firmly sealed).

Hi All,

Getting No. 93 out there and showing it to the rest of the populace wherever possible is one of the conditions of the lottery funding the GWS received to restore the coach body (the motor unit is a replica and therefore didn't qualify for a grant) so, yes, she will go on tour as well as selected main line use but the Railmotor team is still very much in the planning phase with all of this. They want to make sure she has all the bugs worked out and the GWS know how to look after it first. Don't forget that no one has operated a GWR Steam Railmotor since the 1930s!

Al the best,

Castle

Hi All,

Getting No. 93 out there and showing it to the rest of the populace wherever possible is one of the conditions of the lottery funding the GWS received to restore the coach body (the motor unit is a replica and therefore didn't qualify for a grant) so, yes, she will go on tour as well as selected main line use but the Railmotor team is still very much in the planning phase with all of this. They want to make sure she has all the bugs worked out and the GWS know how to look after it first. Don't forget that no one has operated a GWR Steam Railmotor since the 1930s!

Al the best,

Castle

Thanks Castle.

Kevin

Hi All,

I have been to 81E today and No.93 is looking good. She is being fitted with a few guards and other bits and pieces that are required for her main line use and she should be good to go as scheduled. All of the paperwork is ongoing for the main line runs (including the various maintanence plans, etc.) and things are looking good on that front as well.

Trailer 92 is coming on nicely too!

All the best,

Castle

PS: I drove Railcar 22 today for the first time - brilliant stuff! It is a weird mix between driving a bus and a train...

Hi All,

Captain: the agreement on 'Main Line' running is a limited one and depends on a lot of factors, not least the fact that she is and will remain sans TPWS / OTMR, has limited seating capacity, no central door locking and a restricted top speed (much lower than 75 mph of the Castle I work on but I can't remember off hand what it is). The term 'Main Line' is, to most preservationists at least, descriptive of any route that is part of the official national network. This includes any and all branch lines and smaller routes as well as the big stuff. I suspect we are not going to see her storming out of Paddington but then again, that was never the intention. There are many smaller, less heavily use routes that would have the additional capacity and slower speeds to allow No. 93 to strut her stuff! I think you may be surprised as to how far the paperwork has gone...

Turtle: That depends on what type of guards you mean - the staff at Didcot don't like to hang on the outside as it goes along - something about health and safety?

Sorry, coat already on and heading for door...

The bulk of the new metal guards are hidden ones such as in the ash pan and the blast pipe to prevent her setting light to the countryside. There are also metal plates that need fixing up under the body where the bogies are and the intention with this is to prevent any potential of sparks setting light to the bodywork. They are quite common on coaches from various eras I am told.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Hi All,

Captain: the agreement on 'Main Line' running is a limited one and depends on a lot of factors, not least the fact that she is and will remain sans TPWS / OTMR, has limited seating capacity, no central door locking and a restricted top speed (much lower than 75 mph of the Castle I work on but I can't remember off hand what it is). The term 'Main Line' is, to most preservationists at least, descriptive of any route that is part of the official national network. This includes any and all branch lines and smaller routes as well as the big stuff. I suspect we are not going to see her storming out of Paddington but then again, that was never the intention. There are many smaller, less heavily use routes that would have the additional capacity and slower speeds to allow No. 93 to strut her stuff! I think you may be surprised as to how far the paperwork has gone...

Turtle: That depends on what type of guards you mean - the staff at Didcot don't like to hang on the outside as it goes along - something about health and safety?

Sorry, coat already on and heading for door...

The bulk of the new metal guards are hidden ones such as in the ash pan and the blast pipe to prevent her setting light to the countryside. There are also metal plates that need fixing up under the body where the bogies are and the intention with this is to prevent any potential of sparks setting light to the bodywork. They are quite common on coaches from various eras I am told.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

North York Moors to Whitby perhaps? Seeing as that is a relatively minor line in the grand scheme of things.

Hi All,

No. 93 is having a bit of work done this week so I will let you all know how the patient is at the end of it all! Nothing too serious I assure you...

All the best,

Castle

Bit of a cantankerous old lady is she or just "running in" adjustments?

Archived