St.Agnes Station - summer timetable

Jack00

I have lots of pictures to add to the thead. And im making an album of pictures of the overgrown remains of the branchline...which is all part of the inspiration and enthusiasm to press on with this project.

Its all talk no action at this stage...but im determined and i wont be beaten!!

Found the remains of Goonbell Halt passenger enterance and Wheal Liberty viaduct which was looking sad in the 26`c sun today.

Mithian halt (which is now a gorse filled cutting these days) and Goonhavern road over bridge.

(An excuse to drive around in the sun) ??

Jack.

• RMweb Gold

Well done for making progress Jack.

I've done a couple of research trips on the line, from Goonhavern to Fiddlers Green - there is still quite a bit of the infrastructure left, if you know where to look.

Hope to see this when all complete.

Stu

Thanks Stu. Yes lots still to see once i know what im looking for its relativley easy to locate.

Quite destinctive colourings of the bridges on the line they stand out like sore thumbs umungst the bushes.

Now st.clemens is 99% complete i can turn my full attention to St.Agnes.

Jack.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all.

Still working on the album of the branchline.

But layout buildings will be on the horizon i suspect in the near future...!

Now st.clemens is done and ready for exhibiting i can begin to focus thoughts on St.Agnes once again.

Which i mentioned before is my dream layout to produce hence the helping hand from stu.

Rome wasn't built in a day...

Jack

HI all.

been doing a bit of scratchbuilding today, just to get a feel of what its like and to keep practicing.

My favourite is the small equine stables i produced from plasticard, glue and some paint. suprising really.

my next task is a small weighbridge or goods shed.

post-13209-0-66601400-1375545717_thumb.jpg

post-13209-0-89483900-1375545720_thumb.jpg

cheers

Jack.

Finally some progress. I have started to scratchbuild all the buildings required for the layout.(apart from the signal box not looking forward to that) albeit in 2mm so i decided to go back to the idea and stick to it, promise!!

Never scratchbuilt N scale buildings before but suprisingly a forgiving task in terms of errors and/or cock ups.

So far...

Station building

Goods shed

Weighbridge

Platform&shelter.

All made from plasticard obviously not finished yet but glazed and doors fitted.

I'll add up some pictures of todays progress soon.

Jack.

post-13209-0-84728500-1375983987_thumb.jpg

post-13209-0-12997700-1375983991_thumb.jpg

post-13209-0-25731200-1375983994_thumb.jpg

post-13209-0-74354500-1375983997_thumb.jpg

post-13209-0-49587200-1375984000_thumb.jpg

post-13209-0-29042900-1375984003_thumb.jpg

post-13209-0-19360100-1375984006_thumb.jpg

using ratio window frames and drain pipes.

i'll post up more progress on the baseboaords and trackplan...

i'm tempted to go down the 2mm finescal route but i'm also a little scared at the same time ... !! need to put my specs on for this N scale stuff.

Thanks

any constructive critisism welcome, but be kind as i said, this is a first for me lol.

Jack

Hi Jack

Looking good.....

Scratchbuilding is difficult in any scale & I suspect even more so in N gauge......

Good for you in having a go.

The usual rules apply.....

You will get better as you build more as you learn by mistakes/experience how to do things better....

Look forward to seeing the end result

Hi Bill thanks.

Its hard thats for sure but the camera can be so cruel. Once dressed in appropriate stone and weathered i reckon it will look respectable.

I'm really pleased with the goods shed. Since the pictures i posted i have painted the interior and added the platform for road vehicles to be loaded and a canopy. Oh and the roof too...

I'll keep going and hopfully achieve a good outcome.

For me personally N is a favourite as mistakes can be well hidden or 'patched' up without being obvious.

Thanks

Jack

More progress today. I've completed the goods shed and i'm very pleased with it. Just needs gutters now.

The landscape is in place but not glued yet. Road bridge is drying after being painted.

Just the trackplan to fiddle around with making it exact to the prototype.

Its taking shape now and the layout is beginning to look abvious as st.agnes.(i hope)

I'm using a mk1 to gauge clearances so far so good.

I'll put the pictures up in a bit .

Jack.

Trackplan all sorted almost ready to fix down.

Its great having all this free time to spend on interesting and fun stuff rather than work.

Hopefully i can obtain permission to use photographs of St.agnes and use them to compare against my 2mm effort.

After studying the "Cornwall Railway Society" photo's i have placed the buildings in their prototypically correct places by a good judgement of hawk eye ... i.e where i think they look ok!

Thanks

Jack

post-13209-0-34031200-1376144440_thumb.jpg

post-13209-0-83174300-1376144443_thumb.jpg

post-13209-0-92910400-1376144448_thumb.jpg

post-13209-0-19887500-1376144453_thumb.jpg

post-13209-0-10841300-1376144456_thumb.jpg

post-13209-0-34836700-1376144459_thumb.jpg

post-13209-0-55958500-1376144462_thumb.jpg

so the latest batch of pictures. the finished goods shed, the track laying and wagon weathering.

The wagons are not strictly BR 60's but with weathering and dents added i'm not too fussed as they fit in well. the wagons are to replicate the scrap trains that ran from Tolcarne Junction to Blackwater Triangle, then on to various places to dispose of the rails, sleepers, chairs etc.

The scrap trains were ran by class 22's. and i intend to replicate that too,

as the layout stands now i'm happy to have had a burst of enthusiasm. and pleased with the outcome. now i can sit back and 'play trains' for a bit.

The 2nd picture i added is looking towards Newquay. the train would depart from the left UP line. the right DOWN line is recieving from Newquay heading towards mount-hawke and Chacewater.

Thanks

Jack.

Jack,

Best of luck with this project !

It would be interesting to one day join your St. Agnes with my Shepherds Halt (or when built Shepherds Station) to give a real impression of the Chacewater to Newquay line.

This is a scanned photo from the Middleton Press 'Branch lines to Newquay' book (reproduced with permission) of St Agnes in 1948.

attachicon.gifSt Agnes.jpg

Cheers

Stu

post-13209-0-07380200-1376145150_thumb.jpg

The picture Stu kindly added compared to the layout. as noted the differences between the revamp and the later station style before its closure (no footbridge etc)

Thanks

Jack

2C72 - the Newquay bound train.

2C53/2C43 - Truro bound train.

The last passenger service in each direction 7th Febuary 1963.

By January 1964 the rails were beginning to be lifted, starting from Tolcarne Junc' Newquay. Heading towards St.Agnes and finally Blackwater and Chacewater.

The Rails and sleepers were said to be in very good condition despite being lifted and scrapped.

Efforts were made to save the branchline but Beachings word was final.

A collegue of mine who lives in St.Agnes said cattle use to be taken from their family farm to the station to be taken to market, in Truro.

Jack.

Starting to weather the 12t vent'vans. Plus added weight they are light as a feather!!

I managed to find a farish 2car 108 for less than £50 new! But it's BR blue. So plans are to re paint, add speed whiskers and sqaure off the buffers. As prototype that ran on the branch. Also no headlights instead a good old trusty lamp!

Jack.

Oh and re-number it too.

For the landscaping i plan to use filler, as apose to plastacloth.

This way i hope it to be more solid and easier to detail than the cloth as i did on st.clemens the outcome was good but rather 'gappy'

Also i reckon it will be easier to scape the drive way to the station enterance as prototypically its not that steap.

With a wet butter knife this will hopefully give a smooth finish for the roads...over the bridge towards Goonbell, the B road and station car park/goods loading area.

Lots to do...

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

Stock update i found a new farish 108 2car DMU going cheap in BR blue so its been repainted in railmatch BR green and cream speed whiskers added to the front. Also the buffers modified to the earlier squared off style.

Needs passengers added and a bit of weathering.

Hmm...what to do next...

Jack.

Stock update i found a new farish 108 2car DMU going cheap in BR blue so its been repainted in railmatch BR green and cream speed whiskers added to the front. Also the buffers modified to the earlier squared off style.

Needs passengers added and a bit of weathering.

Hmm...what to do next...

Jack.

Hi jack

I'm sure you'll think of something..

Piccies?????

Cheers Bill

Hi Bill i'm pleased with the DMU its my first repaint and it looks good (not being big headed)

Yes lots to do i better consalt my list before i jump the gun.

The main thing to do is create the landscape which is unique so lots of thought will be needed...

I'll post up some pictures after work tomorrow ..maybe even some more prototype pics to get the ball rolling.

Thanks

Jack.

Steve thanks for posting those up that is stunning.

And certainly a milepost for me to even come close to...beautiful!

Well these pictures have given me a a real drive to get cracking.

All the best.

Jack.

Archived