St.Agnes Station - summer timetable

Jack00

Hi Richard. Thanks for the follow.

I work in St. Agnes and pass the old station to get to work. The campsite you mentioned is near enough on the old trackbed before the line decended towards Perranporth and Mithian.

(where the presingol barn area is.)

Jack.

Just came across some wills kits which are spot on for what I need for St. Agnes.

In attempt to 'perfect' my personal modelling skills I have an idea... To experiment with different materials and ground covers, static grasses, shrubs and kit building I'm going to replicate Goonbell station. Or halt I should say. A very tatty looking area with an embankment on the pedestrian entrance to the station, very steap leading down onto the platform, consisting of a gas lamp, and gas lit Pagoda style shelter. Painted in the chocolate and cream colours of GWR. the bridge on the right (as you look towards St. Agnes will be an ideal scenic break, then another scenic break on the opposite end. Code 75 peco flexible track and possibly sand as ballest, with rusty rails and chairs, typically the scene of the branchline towords it's closure in 1963. For now it will be a diorama purely just for technique finilaziation.

Then I can concentrate on the bigger, complex task of St. Agnes station.

Watch this space:

For kit building and baseboard building.

Ok, so for the Goonbell platfrom i will use RTR platfrom modules and platfrom slops. but the shelter will be kit built using the wills kit mentioned above,

The embankment on the backscene will be a first for me so perhaps using plasta or mesh techniques, the bank will then level down to the trackbed and platfrom height.

post-13209-0-39769800-1345908931.jpg

post-13209-0-55758500-1345908934.jpg

once burries under the bushes, weathered and detailed platform surface, they will be unrecognisable as "Hornby" station modules, but i like the edging texture with the red bricks, its spot on for GWR infestrcture. just need to get a small baseboards nocked up and away we go...Goonbell next stop.

Jack.

Hi Richard. Thanks for the follow.

I work in St. Agnes and pass the old station to get to work. The campsite you mentioned is near enough on the old trackbed before the line decended towards Perranporth and Mithian.

(where the presingol barn area is.)

Jack.

I wondered how close Presingol Farm would be to the trackbed. Was a nice little spot to stay in.

Presingoll farm campsite was bisected by the line,which was in a cutting, now infilled as far as the bridge carrying the road to Goonbell, at the rear or the campsite the land drops away and the trackbed is on an embankment,visible on google earth.

This was the last branch line built in Cornwall,took over 4 years, with gradients of up to 1 in 40 and new technology in the shape of the the steam navvy (mechanical excavator) helped construct the big embankment at Blackwater, The line also blocked the L&SWR from building a line to Truro,either from Wadebridge or via Newquay from Padstow, challenging the GWR monopoly in central & west Cornwall.

Line opened in 2 sections, Chacewater to Perranporth on 6th July 1903 & to Newquay on 2nd Jan 1905,all halts opened 14th Aug 1905. A weekday service of 5 up & down trains had increased to 11 up &12 down by 1939, and still had 9 up & 10 down trains at closure in 1963

• RMweb Gold

For those who recollect my 'N gauge with a twist' competition entry from last year ( and thanks for all who voted for it ! ), you may see a resemblence of Goonbell & Mount Hawke Halts - they were certainly an influence.

As an exercise to perfect / improve your skills, Jack, it's a great idea - similar to what both Treamble and Shepherds Halt will be, before I build the full Shepherds Station.

Presingoll farm campsite was bisected by the line,which was in a cutting, now infilled as far as the bridge carrying the road to Goonbell, at the rear or the campsite the land drops away and the trackbed is on an embankment,visible on google earth.

This was the last branch line built in Cornwall,took over 4 years, with gradients of up to 1 in 40 and new technology in the shape of the the steam navvy (mechanical excavator) helped construct the big embankment at Blackwater, The line also blocked the L&SWR from building a line to Truro,either from Wadebridge or via Newquay from Padstow, challenging the GWR monopoly in central & west Cornwall.

Line opened in 2 sections, Chacewater to Perranporth on 6th July 1903 & to Newquay on 2nd Jan 1905,all halts opened 14th Aug 1905. A weekday service of 5 up & down trains had increased to 11 up &12 down by 1939, and still had 9 up & 10 down trains at closure in 1963

Thankyou for the information, up 9 up and 10 down trains per day until its closure...thats impressive! i certainly have my work cut-out on the stock side of things then, let alone the actual layout.

For those who recollect my 'N gauge with a twist' competition entry from last year ( and thanks for all who voted for it ! ), you may see a resemblence of Goonbell & Mount Hawke Halts - they were certainly an influence.

As an exercise to perfect / improve your skills, Jack, it's a great idea - similar to what both Treamble and Shepherds Halt will be, before I build the full Shepherds Station.

Stubby47, glad you agree with the 'practice' board idea, thought it would be a safe option before i take the bull by the horns.

On my way home down the A30 i managed to work out where Blackwater Triangle is/was situated, it really is a triangle...!! i must stop in the layby and take some photo's there's not too many lorries there tomorrow.

Also the fencing looks very line-side like. possibly old rail...but will look upon closer inspection.

Jack.

For viewing trackbed it may be easier (& safer) to take the old A30 road through blackwater,best done heading east ,leave A30 at scorrier just past the road overbridge and take right at roundabout by Dales garage,rejoin at chiverton cross .A local schoolmaster, John Oates was so upset by the obtrusive embankment he planted beds of rhododendrons to help cover its newness, which still flower today. Old broad gauge rail was often used as fenceposts, much still exist..

If you have time (and are hungry) check out Smoky Joe's cafe/truckstop on left :sungum:

yes would probably be safer to go through Blackwater being a 30mph zone..!

interesting about the budding flowers, i will have to investigate the area in a little more depth, as apose to just wizzing through on a journey home, Smokey Joes is my Favourite....

Edit: this is Blackwater in the evening summer sun...from aboard a First Great Western HST so forgive the poor/dark quality.

post-13209-0-43566900-1346013159_thumb.jpg

post-13209-0-99693800-1346013164.jpg

post-13209-0-70633500-1346013170.jpg

post-13209-0-51993400-1346013175.jpg

Jack.

Typical Bank Holiday monday...but i've got work at 1700 so not much modelling from me...but i have got some goodies from KMRC

post-13209-0-86998300-1346078862.jpg

post-13209-0-01052000-1346078866.jpg

post-13209-0-02853500-1346078870.jpg

post-13209-0-59051300-1346078873.jpg

After a little more studying on the colours of the frncing and shelter, i will paint and weather them accordingly. The 'tiny' signs can be backed with thin card or thick paper.

The main station building for St.Agnes will have added advertisments and additional weathering, plus platform signs...could only find SR so will have to order them tomorrow.

watch this space, more detailed explination and photographed progress.

Jack.

Added a few advertisements to the station builidng, they look really nice, brands such as lloyds tea. Once the fencing is painted and weathered a few adverts wouldn't go a miss on those either.

Pictures to follow...

But at the pub now!

Jack.

as promised...

post-13209-0-41991900-1346264896.jpg

and also i just went on a drive and took some quick pictures of St.Agnes station enterance (via rail) and the trackbed is visable just beyond the fence and telegraph pole (where the sweb units are) i'm guessing this is ajacent to where the 'trap' point was on the road bridge end (mount hawke end)

post-13209-0-35797400-1346265039.jpg

post-13209-0-71411400-1346265042.jpg

I think these pictures are relevant to add to the thread, once the project takes some sort of shape this would be a realistic photography point, as pictures have been taken back in the 50's and 60's of Prairies entering the staion from this view-point.

Thanks

Jack.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the 'watch' fender this will resume soon, although progress is rather slow.

The benches are Noch benches and are a lovely accessory for platforms. Well made and only about £7 for 10.

Jack.

Thanks for the 'watch' fender this will resume soon, although progress is rather slow.

The benches are Noch benches and are a lovely accessory for platforms. Well made and only about £7 for 10.

Jack.

great. I'll keep an eye out for those. :good:

• RMweb Gold

Am I correct remembering that before the A30 at Blackwater was made a dual carriageway, there was traffic island with a bridge abutment on the northern side of the road which was the part of the former line?

XF

When we arrived in 1987, the north bound A30 stopped just at the Blackwater junction (where the Renault garage is) and travellers had to divert through Blackwater itself. There was no road where that section of A30 now runs.

When we arrived in 1987, the north bound A30 stopped just at the Blackwater junction (where the Renault garage is) and travellers had to divert through Blackwater itself. There was no road where that section of A30 now runs.

When I arrived in 1968 !!!! the road through Blackwater was the A30 and yes the bridge abuttment was still there and you could trace the old triangle on the ground.

Archived