WR 4575 tanks on the kingsbridge branch

Guest 34008Padstow

Guest 34008Padstow

Morning all. While doing a bit of searching on the WR for my layout i found a video of the kingsbridge branch taken from the railway roundabout programme. Its just over four minutes long and has some useful inspiration

• RMweb Premium

The unnamed station at very near the end was Avonwick.

Although the announcer said that the coaches used on the branch were B Set coaches the film shows that this was not always the case. The appeared to be an LMS coach being used but other GWR mainline coaches would also be found.

• RMweb Gold

Although this video has been posted before on here its still nice to see those wonderful scenes again especially in colour.Wouldn't that have been the perfect preserved line. :sad_mini2:

Without looking at the whole clip [39 pages of new posts is a lot to catch up with after a holiday!] I'd guess that the ex LMS coach is part of the through portion to/from Paddington that ran on summer Saturdays. A conundrum that I mentioned on another thread is that the train from Paddington was booked for three coaches but the one to Padd had six, with no clue as to how the other three got to Kingsbridge.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

At 1.17 mins in the coach is certainly ex-LMS but what sort? Did standard 'through coaches' have brake thirds like this with windows in the end (driving trailer style)?

Behind it there looks to be ex-LNER Thompson or is that another Stanier type? The bodyside contour looks different.

How widespread the practice of putting end windows in brake coaches was on the LMS I know not. Some GWR non-corridor brake thirds had them too but for some reason brake composites did not.

The second coach at 1:17 is indeed a Thompson. What a shame we were not shown the third coach, and, if it were the Paddington-bound train, the other three. This is further evidence that at times of peak demand it mattered little to which Region stock belonged.

The commentary, spoken by the late Peter Woods, refers to B sets. Strictly speaking, on this branch it would have been more likely by 1959 for two brake composites to be coupled together but not permanently and not necessarily of the same type. During the winter one coach would suffice for most workings.

Thr four wheel SR parcels van shown toward the end was a daily working to and from Paddington and was sometimes a LNER pigeon van. What, I wonder, was the traffic that it carried?

Chris

Archived